Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 06:10 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
In the 1930s, British anthropologist J.D. Unwin studied 86 cultures that stretched across 5,000 years. He found, without exception, when they restricted sex to marriage, they thrived.

Strong families (A man & woman!) headed by faithful spouses made for bold, prosperous societies. But not one culture survived more than three generations after turning sexually permissive.

Noted Harvard sociologist Pitirim Sorokin found no culture surviving once it ceased to support marriage and monogamy. ”None”.

To the left out there you can deny it and spin all you want but once you throw God out of the picture it’s all over!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Unwin
Exactly. You should encourage as many of your Conservative partners to co-sign your theory, so that America truly understands where your party stands.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:40 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
GOP grievance campaigning is in the air. Here we go. It seems as if Brad Parscale did not waste any time in riling up the populace, after his recent pilgrimage to Mar-a-Lago. The result of dusting off Donald Trump's old inflammatory topics and messaging and incitement of resentment & victimhood and who to blame is all over social media forums and platforms, once again. Threads such as this one always remind me of the fictional Bob Rumson CANDIDATE and Andrew Shephard POTUS from the movie The American President.
Could that quote be any more perfect to describe the religious right? It pops into my head every time I hear people talking about the "good old days" when everyone went to church (LMAO), people had "family values" (whatever that means - whose family?) and women and gay people knew their place (in the kitchen and in the closet respectively ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting how now that Trump is out of office, “faithful spouses” are now important again.
I just spit a bite of waffle across the room.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:13 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,189 times
Quote:
In the 1930s, British anthropologist J.D. Unwin studied 86 cultures that stretched across 5,000 years. He found, without exception, when they restricted sex to marriage, they thrived.

Strong families (A man & woman!) headed by faithful spouses made for bold, prosperous societies. But not one culture survived more than three generations after turning sexually permissive.

Noted Harvard sociologist Pitirim Sorokin found no culture surviving once it ceased to support marriage and monogamy. ”None”.

To the left out there you can deny it and spin all you want but once you throw God out of the picture it’s all over!

Also: Unwin also claimed that legal equality between women and men was a necessary prerequisite to absolute monogamy (same website).

I’m still amazed that women don’t get a 25% or more discount on e v e r y t h i n g...

Let us know when economic gender equality is a thing. Everything else the guy says (upon a brief scan) is nutty and I think you’re misrepresenting his lucent ideas.

“Noted Harvard sociologist Pitirim Sorokin found no culture surviving once it ceased to support marriage and monogamy.”

Mkay... people who love each other should be allowed to marry. This isn’t difficult... for most folks, no? That 50% of marriages fail is... data.

My dad was gay. He fought it and fought it. He loved my mom, wanted and had children (hi -waving-) I exist as a result. I knew he was gay when I was eight. He surprised me three times: 1. AIDS diagnosis 2. Apologizing. 3. Dying when he shouldn’t have (thanks, Guid).

He was just a dad. He and my mum never divorced so they had a long marriage. I found love letters... they met as teachers for disabled kids.

In what world or moral checklist is my dad, my parents - wrong? The stigma forced on my dad and all gay men in that era - was more deadly than his platonic love for my mom and his love for his lover (eventually).

There are so many gay folk in everyone’s circle - you just don’t know about it. Homosexuality is as old as sex and far more prevalent than folks think. People who are in love and want to marry should be able to do so.

Note: Wedding and marriage are NOT the same. Wedding is a ritual. Marriage is a legal, fiscal *secular* contract.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:20 AM

2,901 posts, read 992,875 times
All those "conservative" married men who get caught having clandestine homosexual sexual relations in glory holes across the country definitely believe this. "Oh, God," they yell loudly, hoping their wives never find out.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:

I'd be very curious about what cultures ever restricted sex to marriage.

Answer: none.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:24 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
The book "The Garbage Generation" iterates many of the same points that feminism and sexual liberation has led to a decline in fatherhood, marriage and decline of civilization in general:

https://www.fisheaters.com/garbagegeneration.html

No shock that the places where "matriarchy" reigns supreme (Indian reservations, ghettos, some tribal areas throughout Africa/Asia) are the most primitive and brutal.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:29 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Let's say I agree with you and that the overall decline in morality in this nation is detrimental to its existence.
How do we solve that?
As soon as you say law or government sponsored regulation, I'm out.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:32 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
Hahahhaaa! God, schmod. She doesn’t care who puts who’s thing where.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:35 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting how now that Trump is out of office, “faithful spouses” are now important again.
Good one. Where were the bible thumpers for the last four years? Not a peep about morality and the sanctity of marriage. I guess they didn't want to bring attention to the orange adulterer.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:37 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
JD Unwin probably should have studied the Greeks in his 86 cultures then - - they certainly went longer than three generations. Doesn't seem like much of an academic to have such a major misunderstanding about the roots of Western culture.
Indeed. The ancient Greeks would boink pretty much anything they could hold down best two out of three. And I'd argue that hey had a pretty good run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies