Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this country going down the tube?
Yes 53 50.48%
Sort Of 28 26.67%
No 24 22.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times

Advertisements

I think so. Just compare now to 10 years ago. A gallon of gas used to $1.25. Now what is it, like almost $4.00. And the stuff that has happened because of 9/11 is ridiculous. For example to get to and from Mexico you now need a US passport. Well 10 years ago you didn't need to show them anything. All you had to do is declare you're a US citizen. And also the whole airport situation. 10 years ago anyone could go into an airport and there was no searches like today. It wouldn't take 2 hours just to get inside. And also the cost of living. Where I live the average house in 1998 went for $180,000. Now its like $515,000. And the wages haven't gone up much compared to the cost of living. Minimun wage in 1997 in CA was $4.75, now its $8. It seems like peoples freedoms are slowly being taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
It seems like peoples freedoms are slowly being taken away.
Good to see somebody use his/her brain!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
NO
This country only getting better.
Much improve education system than back 50 years ago.
Technology advances in personal, healthcare is just amazing.
We are not experiencing the great depression, high inflation of the 70's
Home loans in the 80's had a interest rate about 20%
no more segregation and women and black have the right to vote and obtain jobs that was once deem for men and same thing for the military.

The society of America is more mingled that different cultures are living peacefully side by side in areas that once use to not to.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
I think so. Just compare now to 10 years ago. A gallon of gas used to $1.25. Now what is it, like almost $4.00. And the stuff that has happened because of 9/11 is ridiculous. For example to get to and from Mexico you now need a US passport. Well 10 years ago you didn't need to show them anything. All you had to do is declare you're a US citizen. And also the whole airport situation. 10 years ago anyone could go into an airport and there was no searches like today. It wouldn't take 2 hours just to get inside. And also the cost of living. Where I live the average house in 1998 went for $180,000. Now its like $515,000. And the wages haven't gone up much compared to the cost of living. Minimun wage in 1997 in CA was $4.75, now its $8. It seems like peoples freedoms are slowly being taken away.
Inflation is the main cause for some of the problems you mentioned. Increased security measures are just part of life, not much you can do about it. Both of those combined do not equal the end of the USA, talk about melodramatic...

Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
This is why Im not totally adverse to splitting up the country into many smaller countries. Im not even talking about states either, let the people decide how we split up.

We had a good run and there were lots of good times, but I feel like we've grown apart and all we do is fight . Do you really want to live that way? Think of the children? What is all this bickering going to do to them? I really want us to be happy and if being apart is going to do that, then I think we should think about it.

Texas,
Do you really want to continue having policy dicated to you by some lady from San Francisco?

Vermont,
Admit it, the Yucca Mountain debate in Las Vegas isnt really a top priority for you.

How about some time apart? It might do us all a world of good.

*winks*

Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
We have gone down hill because the people lost so many of their freedoms and only getting worse. The govt is strangling our necks more and more and more. It especially got worse the past 7 years under the current Dictator who has managed to shread our constitution to ribbons.

Check this out. Maybe we will see you there.

REVOLUTION March on D.C. - July 12th, 2008 - RESTORE THE CONSTITUTION for Feedom, Peace, and Prosperity - Ron Paul!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM

123 posts, read 346,827 times
If we split by State or regions would any of them speak English?. We aleard have mini countries in certain major urban cities. Better start learning a language now and I'm not being critical , just observent. With most of our jobs outsourced overseas and all our goods made in China. Do we make anything here ?, Do we control our banks?, do we own our homes?. In Florida you had better speak Spanish and Europeans are grabbing up property as homes foreclose. Britain has has gas prices over $5 gallon for many years, it will not get cheaper here, lets just get the US automakers making alternative fuel cars.
Other option is to re-build our infra structure and actually provide a good mass transit system as many foreign countries already have.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 PM

219 posts, read 811,090 times
SunnyKayak...I hope you were being sarcastic.

First of all...the education system in the US is HORRIBLE. It had NOT gotten better.

My parents (mother 62, father 68) can't believe how bad the school are compared to when they went to school. They looked at my ones son's school work when he was in 8th grade and said that it was 3 years BEHIND what they were taught when they went to school. It's also behind what I was taught. I now have a son that is graduating and the work they gave him in high school was a joke. It was 2 years behind what I was doing in high school and the work I was doing was far behind other countries. I remember the foreign exchange students coming to my high school and were so bored because they had already done everything we were doing plus more a couple grades back. I also know a lady that was born overseas and she moved to the US about 5 years ago. She was telling me that in at the end of third grade the children have the same basic knowlege that 7th graders in the USA have PLUS they know 3 languages.

Sorry for ranting about our education system but it is horrible.

As far as everything else in the USA. Yes, it is going downhill also. Just do the math on inflation. When I first moved to this town minimum wage was
$3.35 an hour and you could rent a 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex for $200.00 a month. That same 2 bedroom 1 bath duplex is now $700.00 a month but look at the minimum wage. Rent went up more then triple and minium wage has not even doubled. Now that is here is South Texas...don't come here by the way...it sucks which is why I am moving. In California it's really bad.

I could go on and on but...the USA is going downhill badly. Many corporations here in the USA are foreign owned, most of the stuff we sell here is outsourced to other countries for production instead of creating jobs for US citizens. Problems with illegal aliens (nothing against Hispanics...I am married to a Hispanic.. Basically the USA is being taken over internally but what do you expect? What comes around goes around. What is now the USA was the home of many different Idian tribes which lost their land and their lives due to greedy Europeans. I better stop.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM

123 posts, read 346,827 times
I agree about the state of public eaducation in this country going downhill. Yesteday the news media reported on a college where open drug sales were really doing quite a god trade. Forget about learning this generation are been taught to get rcih quick no matter now, legal or otherwise . Its a scary senario. A little Caribbean Island I think for me before the banks lose all my retirement savings, How to et the grandchildren to come w/me. That's the tough part...ha.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
ATM our countries not doing well, but i beleive it will get better. (see? nice and simple answer!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies