U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2021, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Mogadishu, MN
8,910 posts, read 2,547,969 times
Reputation: 5938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Like Minnesota Nice - it can be a facade to hide the real issues.
Not eveeryone in MN is like me. In fact most people (especially here in the TC) are at the exact opposite of the ideology spectrum than I am.


If BLM signs in every yard are what you are after, Marxists in every political seat in the City are your thing, kris, then the Twin Cities would fit you quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Solution for what?
Let's see if Mr. Ivy can answer. Funny how the simplest questions can some times be the hardest some times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2021, 10:40 AM
 
12,899 posts, read 15,167,399 times
Reputation: 8471
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
IOW, all rant, pitting groups against each other, no solutions. Got it.

Your simplistic rant ignores the more complex context of relations:

And if you use that frame, you make it an Asian-Black thing, you’re focusing on the two groups and taking attention away from the larger structures of power in which they’re embedded—not just racial structures, but also capitalism. Think about the relationship between Korean merchants buying a liquor store in Compton, and their Black customers. This is about capitalism, the way it creates divisions between groups and deems certain people disposable.

What we see in the United States are these periodic attacks on Asian Americans, always related to something else going on in the world. In this case it’s COVID. In the 1980s, it was U.S.-Japan trade relations. In the 1870s, it was a regional depression in the West and Southwest, and white workers turned against Chinese American workers. So there’s always been some kind of larger economic, political cause for these upsurges in anti-Asian violence. I think that’s different from what we see with anti-Black violence. Violence against Black people in this country is continuous, structural; violence against Asians is more periodic, contingent on events.

This is not to minimize what happens to Asian Americans! When you are harmed by an assailant because of anti-Asian racism, it doesn’t matter to you whether the violence was contingent or continuous or whatever. I’m not minimizing it. Clearly during COVID-19 something really alarming and troubling is happening.


https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ties-race.html
I think in '21 your comment has an "against" misplacing a "by". The biggest threat to the security of black people in the US in 2021 is not cops, is not Klansman...it's other black people. One could say based on statistics that is becoming more true for other racial groups as well.

I realize this narrative doesn't fit the Marxist framework you wish to forge, but it's actually the truth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 12:01 PM
 
60,821 posts, read 47,294,703 times
Reputation: 37763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In a place like NY it's open season because these attackers *know* that there is virtually no chance that the average person they target will be armed in any way and will be easy to beat and intimidate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 12:04 PM
 
2,865 posts, read 4,377,820 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
IOW, all rant, pitting groups against each other, no solutions. Got it.
I'm not surprised that a leftist like yourself refused to answer the question I posed re: how you'd address Asian senior citizens who may be alarmed and how they should act in these situations. And, what you said is such a typically leftist thing: accusing another of making one group and another group adversaries. It's the classic line of "trying to make two oppressed groups fight."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Your simplistic rant ignores the more complex context of relations:
Rather than being a rant, it's loaded with facts; the problem with you leftists is that any fact, any event, any data point which does not further your narrative is ignored or dismissed or explained away as you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And if you use that frame, you make it an Asian-Black thing, you’re focusing on the two groups and taking attention away from the larger structures of power in which they’re embedded—not just racial structures, but also capitalism. Think about the relationship between Korean merchants buying a liquor store in Compton, and their Black customers. This is about capitalism, the way it creates divisions between groups and deems certain people disposable.
Capitalism is all about operating under a free market by providing a good or a service within a market where there is a demand for that good or that service. Korean immigrants who have owned such shops in largely or wholly black areas went there because it made fiscal sense: they were able to afford opening a store there. Mr. Choi or Mrs. Kim couldn't open a store in an all-white suburb fresh off LAX? Well, then he and she had no other choice if they wanted to turn a profit while still eating and paying the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
What we see in the United States are these periodic attacks on Asian Americans, always related to something else going on in the world. In this case it’s COVID. In the 1980s, it was U.S.-Japan trade relations. In the 1870s, it was a regional depression in the West and Southwest, and white workers turned against Chinese American workers. So there’s always been some kind of larger economic, political cause for these upsurges in anti-Asian violence. I think that’s different from what we see with anti-Black violence. Violence against Black people in this country is continuous, structural; violence against Asians is more periodic, contingent on events.
Ah, the expected allusion to "systemic racism."

Black SCOTUS justice.

Black POTUS.

Black senators, black congressmen and congresswomen and black mayors.

Black general in the Marine Corps (thank you President Trump).

Frankly speaking, while violence against anybody outside self-defense is unacceptable, we're talking about what happens to Asians who are attacked by blacks. You're the one who claims I'm pitting one group against another (I'm just giving you facts).

Anti-Asian violence by blacks is NOT new. Such crimes have been described as "nothing new" in the Bay Area as far back as 2010

Violence by blacks against Asians is not limited to "periodic" things. Korean immigrants have been held up at gunpoint in NYC since the 1980s and some have been shot dead. Older Korean immigrants - who were women - ended up in comas because some black thief not only decided to take their money but also elected to smash their heads with their pistols.

Blacks commit crimes against Asians hundreds of times more often than Asians do so against blacks; in fact, the latter is so rare it can as a matter of factual correctness be stated to be non-existent in this country. Blacks victimize whites and Hispanics far more than the other way around, and a police officer is almost 20 times likelier to be killed by a black person than the other way around.

The problem is that black criminality is a very serious issue which harms men and women from other ethnic groups, and as you probably know, black criminality is tantamount to a small-scale genocide of blacks in this country. The FBI's annual crime statistics demonstrate that in every murder of a black person in which there was a singular victim and it is known there was only one perpetrator, about 88% to 90% of every single such case (about 3,000 per year) have a black murderer. I have reviewed this data since the middle of the 2010s and the data is the same EVERY SINGLE YEAR. If one looks at broader murder numbers, the number of blacks killed by other blacks in total is about 7,000 per year with 90% to 93% of blacks killing other blacks.

My issue with the left (and perhaps you yourself do not follow the following idea) is that the left claims racism can only exist when prejudice and power are together, and by that logic, nonwhites cannot be racist because nonwhites do not hold power in this country. By that despicable line of thinking, then, blacks who insult Asians calling them names that would get a white-collar person fired if he /she uttered it at work are not racist - they're simply manifestations of prejudice, but it's not racism.

You leftists claim there's "white supremacy" at work and that this is somehow responsible for what blacks in this country face, but there's something called MORAL AGENCY and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. That there are black conservatives aplenty who agree with me and call out these same pathologies within urban America which have as of late spilled over to harm Asian-Americans is something the left doesn't ever care to address and when it has, I've come across ridiculous terms like "not all skinfolk are kinfolk" (again, I'm not saying that's your view, but the left never addresses how black conservatives think and how they agree with what I'm saying; hell, I have LEARNED from black conservatives).

The greatest perpetrator of violence against blacks are other blacks. If you care so much, then do something. Go tell black teenagers not to drop out of school. Go tell black kids drugs destroy human health. Go tell black teenagers not to have sex without protection (STDs and pregnancies). Go be a mentor to a black teenager. Go tell black men not to leave the women they impregnate.

Pathetic frauds like BLM the organization are awash in donation money and could easily use those funds to implement programs in the inner city to do the things I suggested you do, but none is being done. Then when these pathologies persist and the left protests about "the school-to-prison pipeline," these complaints are accompanied by further protests about "systemic racism."

So what are leftists doing to actually reduce the possibility that black youths will end up in destructive paths?

Again, black conservatives who are professors and economists and philosophers and scholars who were born when Jim Crow was still in force all say the same.

Systemic violence? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
This is not to minimize what happens to Asian Americans! When you are harmed by an assailant because of anti-Asian racism, it doesn’t matter to you whether the violence was contingent or continuous or whatever. I’m not minimizing it. Clearly during COVID-19 something really alarming and troubling is happening.[/i]

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ties-race.html
See, that's the problem, again due to your leftist ideology. You only see things through the narrative and agenda the left allows - you cited violence being contingent or continuous or whatever. To the person getting his/her skull cracked or pelvis bones broken or put in the hospital, that makes no damn difference. Yet the left prattles about these insignificant terms.

The left as you did in your post points to problems being structural and systemic and what not. Well, since you agree it's bad Asian-Americans are attacked, then here are a few examples, and some are before Covid arrived, so President Trump can't be blamed.

Before the Atlanta shootings, there had been a recent string of attacks on elderly Asians, especially in California’s Bay Area. On January 28th, 2021, 84-year-old Vicha Ratanapakdee was walking in his driveway in San Francisco. A 19-year-old male barreled into him, knocking him to the ground. The male, Antoine Watson, was accompanied by a 20-year-old female. Two days later, Ratanapakdee died of his injuries. In March, an elderly woman was beaten during a robbery in broad daylight in Daly City. The attacker stripped her of her belongings and started to leave, before returning to club her again. In San Jose, on February 5th, a 64-year-old Vietnamese grandmother was getting into her car after withdrawing $1,000 in cash in advance of the Lunar New Year. Two males yanked open the car door, grabbed the woman’s purse, keys, and phone, and fled.

On January 31st, 2021, a 91-year-old man was walking gingerly along an Oakland sidewalk when a young male in a hoodie came up behind and pushed him to the ground. As the man’s head hung over the curb into the street, the assailant calmly continued his walk. A 60-year-old man and a 55-year-old woman were attacked in Oakland’s Chinatown by the same assailant. Seventy-five-year-old Pak Ho was robbed and killed while taking his morning walk near Oakland’s Lake Merritt in March. He hit his head on the sidewalk and was taken off life support for brain trauma shortly thereafter. On February 3rd, a 71-year-old grandmother was walking across an Oakland sidewalk towards her apartment when a young man dashed up and knocked her to the ground. A second male ran up and danced around as the first pulled the woman’s purse from her prone body, breaking the strap. Both males then ran off with the booty.

On February 23rd, two 19-year-olds and a 20-year-old walked into a San Francisco laundromat where a 67-year-old man was sitting. They kicked him to the ground, dangled him upside down by his legs, twisted him back and forth and beat him while they rifled through his pockets. Finally, they found his wallet and walked out the door. In January 2019, an 88-year-old great-grandmother, Yik Oi Huang, went missing. When her son searched the park next to her home, he saw what he thought was a pile of old clothes next to a recycling bin. It was his mother, beaten so brutally as to be unrecognizable and choking on her own blood. Her pants were down and her belly exposed. The 18-year-old suspect had gone on to burglarize her home, stealing jewelry and house keys before fleeing the area. Huang died a year later. On March 18th, 2021, a man allegedly yelled “you mother****ing Asian!” as he knocked a 68-year-old Sri Lankan unconscious on a New York subway. The man remains in a critical condition. On March 21st, 2021, a 37-year-old woman attending a rally in lower Manhattan against anti-Asian violence was punched twice in the face by a man who took her protest sign and stuffed it in a trash can. In March 2020, four teenage girls assaulted a 51-year-old woman on a bus in the Bronx, hitting her with an umbrella and accusing her of spreading the coronavirus. Here was a more promising story of Trump-inspired COVID xenophobia, if only the girls had been a different race.

In fact, the suspects in all of these cases were black; the news reports rarely mentioned that detail. Had the suspects been white, their race would have led each news report, as it did for Robert Aaron Long. A former member of the Oakland police department’s robbery undercover suppression team tells me that this racial pattern of attack and its lack of coverage is longstanding. No one cares about Asian robbery victims, he says, “We used to follow around elderly Asians, waiting for the bad guys to start circling. This has been one of my long-term frustrations. They are pretending to care now but ironically blaming it on white supremacy”—even though the suspects in Asian robbery attacks are almost exclusively, in this cop’s experience, black.

The New York Police Department compiles the most extensive data on hate crimes in the country. These data confirm the Oakland officer’s observation. A black New Yorker is over six times as likely to commit a hate crime against an Asian as a white New Yorker, according to New York Police Department data. In 2020, blacks made up 50 percent of all suspects in anti-Asian attacks in New York City, even though blacks are 24 percent of the city’s population. Whites made up 10 percent of all suspects in anti-Asian attacks in 2020 in New York City but account for 32 percent of the city’s population. If we include black Hispanics in the black category, blacks account for 60 percent of all anti-Asian attacks in 2020.


After you read them all - if the victims had been black and the perpetrators Asian or white, what would you in your ideological belief system have called it? If you say you wouldn't have called it more proof of "systemic racism" or "systemic violence" against blacks, then I really can't take you seriously.

I do wonder if you these these criminals who did these horrible things to Asians are "oppressed."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 12:08 PM
 
23,004 posts, read 14,372,643 times
Reputation: 36831
Man Arrested For Hate Crime After Threatening to Shoot Chinese Customers at SF Bakery
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
10,073 posts, read 5,558,718 times
Reputation: 23618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
I'm not surprised that a leftist like yourself refused to answer the question I posed re: how you'd address Asian senior citizens who may be alarmed and how they should act in these situations. And, what you said is such a typically leftist thing: accusing another of making one group and another group adversaries. It's the classic line of "trying to make two oppressed groups fight."

[. . .]
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sprawling_Homeowner again."

In reading about that horrible string of anti-Asian attacks that Sprawling posted, several things stood out. One, of course, was that the media didn't want to promote the fact that the assailants were black. We all know that if they had been white, this would have been trumpeted far and wide. The poster to whom you replied, and many others, would have used it to support their "systemic racism" theory.

And there's also this: every one of those crimes took place in either New York City or the Bay Area. Granted, these areas have much higher Asian populations than most other places, so in part it's a case of there simply being more potential victims available, if one is looking to harm an Asian person. But even accounting for that, there seems to be a horrible moral rot in these places, where so many people are choosing to inflict pain on others, simply because of their skin color. And, and for the liberals reading this comment, I'd like to point out that we have a word for that: racism. Or is it only racist if white people do it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5,267 posts, read 5,819,839 times
Reputation: 4293
Yes the media sucks. It’s reprehensible. I don’t understand why they don’t do the logical thing and completely just call all black oriole criminals. We all know that if there is a crime, a blank person is automatically responsible. We need to to characterize all black people as criminals and murderers, it is the only moral thing to do!!! Skin color says everything about how someone thinks.

I hate how the media is so oppressive to white people who wear MAGA hats. How could you possibly judge someone by the type of hat that there wear. How superficial!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 03:05 PM
 
2,865 posts, read 4,377,820 times
Reputation: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sprawling_Homeowner again."

In reading about that horrible string of anti-Asian attacks that Sprawling posted, several things stood out. One, of course, was that the media didn't want to promote the fact that the assailants were black. We all know that if they had been white, this would have been trumpeted far and wide. The poster to whom you replied, and many others, would have used it to support their "systemic racism" theory.

And there's also this: every one of those crimes took place in either New York City or the Bay Area. Granted, these areas have much higher Asian populations than most other places, so in part it's a case of there simply being more potential victims available, if one is looking to harm an Asian person. But even accounting for that, there seems to be a horrible moral rot in these places, where so many people are choosing to inflict pain on others, simply because of their skin color. And, and for the liberals reading this comment, I'd like to point out that we have a word for that: racism. Or is it only racist if white people do it?
Another poster (one of the best I've met on C-D) said to me days ago that the left doesn't really care about minorities and that when it speaks about "white supremacy" it really means "the system." And as for attacks against Asians by blacks, the left may in some cases offer lukewarm condemnations but they can only go so far because blacks are too important for the left as allies and being too strident would be counterproductive to the left's agenda, which always has as its core one unshakable goal: the achievement of power.

Asians don't matter to the left. Blacks do because attacking blacks goes along with the left's narrative and goals.

As for the poster I quoted, the first thing he/she wrote included "pitting groups against each other." That is such an old, overused, and yet prototypical leftist thing to say; it's a clever and craft deflection which makes people whom the leftist is responding to go on the defensive.

Others here in the past few days, including another I think is Asian as well (it may have been the same poster here, I don't remember) mentioned "dogging blacks."

NO ONE on C-D who has in detail highlighted the recent crimes against Asians perpetrated by blacks is in any way trying to start some kind of ethnic conflict between blacks in the U.S. and Asians in the U.S. The reason this detail is brought up is because for all of the left's incessant and shrill complaints about racism, the left has largely excluded the plight of Asians when it does not suit its agenda (blacks as perpetrators) while it gladly picks it up as a useful tool when it does suit its agenda (white supremacy/Robert Aaron Long, the Atlanta gunman).

Why are Asians protesting white supremacy when most crimes against Asians are done by nonwhites?

Anyone with half a brain who thinks the left genuinely and sincerely gives the tiniest damn about the suffering of people of whatever race or background is as hopelessly naive and idealistic as some of the left's own most militant true believers. Suffering and people's pain and all that stuff only matter to the left as tools with which the left may ultimately increase and then hold on to power.

EDIT: that poster doesn't even have her own ideas; 3 of the 5 paragraphs I quoted were from some leftist outlet's article.

Last edited by Sprawling_Homeowner; 04-01-2021 at 03:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 03:41 PM
 
728 posts, read 165,590 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Another poster (one of the best I've met on C-D) said to me days ago that the left doesn't really care about minorities and that when it speaks about "white supremacy" it really means "the system." And as for attacks against Asians by blacks, the left may in some cases offer lukewarm condemnations but they can only go so far because blacks are too important for the left as allies and being too strident would be counterproductive to the left's agenda, which always has as its core one unshakable goal: the achievement of power.

Asians don't matter to the left. Blacks do because attacking blacks goes along with the left's narrative and goals.

As for the poster I quoted, the first thing he/she wrote included "pitting groups against each other." That is such an old, overused, and yet prototypical leftist thing to say; it's a clever and craft deflection which makes people whom the leftist is responding to go on the defensive.

Others here in the past few days, including another I think is Asian as well (it may have been the same poster here, I don't remember) mentioned "dogging blacks."

NO ONE on C-D who has in detail highlighted the recent crimes against Asians perpetrated by blacks is in any way trying to start some kind of ethnic conflict between blacks in the U.S. and Asians in the U.S. The reason this detail is brought up is because for all of the left's incessant and shrill complaints about racism, the left has largely excluded the plight of Asians when it does not suit its agenda (blacks as perpetrators) while it gladly picks it up as a useful tool when it does suit its agenda (white supremacy/Robert Aaron Long, the Atlanta gunman).

Why are Asians protesting white supremacy when most crimes against Asians are done by nonwhites?

Anyone with half a brain who thinks the left genuinely and sincerely gives the tiniest damn about the suffering of people of whatever race or background is as hopelessly naive and idealistic as some of the left's own most militant true believers. Suffering and people's pain and all that stuff only matter to the left as tools with which the left may ultimately increase and then hold on to power.

EDIT: that poster doesn't even have her own ideas; 3 of the 5 paragraphs I quoted were from some leftist outlet's article.

You make a good case against the left but what is the left? Are they black, white or something else? And what is their agenda?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 05:41 PM
 
20,783 posts, read 11,092,632 times
Reputation: 9796
Biden says he will prioritize hate crimes against Asians. However, he also says that he wants equity in prosecutions.

Does Biden not know that targeting those that commit hate crimes against Asians will disproportionately impact black criminals more than criminals of other races.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...f-black-people
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top