Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Nurses wear cameras in an ICU filled with dying COVID patients.

This is why we cannot let down our guard yet. Ask yourself how much "freedom" each patient seen in the video is enjoying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/o...dWYYuFLgpmuZO8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 08:47 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

This is why we cannot let down our guard yet. Ask yourself how much "freedom" each patient seen in the video is enjoying.

Back in March and April, we, in the NYC suburbs, were seeing 30+ COVID deaths per day. It was like a war zone, running from one dying patient to the next. There were so many people dying at the same time that some people even died waiting for care, because we were all dealing with other dying patients at the same time. It is definitely not something to be taken lightly, by any stretch of the imagination.

Then, we saw hardly any deaths during the summer. When it came back in the fall and winter, while other cities were experiencing what we experienced last year, we have only been seeing 1 or 2 deaths per day, and many days zero. While that is still bad, it is nothing at all like 30 deaths per day, every day.

I think the difference is, masks and PPE. I had COVID positive people coughing on me all day, for months, and every antibody test I took, came up negative. People around here really took masks and distancing seriously. That made a huge difference. In my opinion, that is why it never got really bad around here again.

My family and I travel on planes. We eat at restaurants, inside. Our kids are back to school every other day. If done smartly, we can get back to some sort of relative normalcy. And as more people are vaccinated, that will speed up the process

Old 02-28-2021, 08:51 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
No one wants to catch Covid and risk their very lives but there are many including medical personal that don't take it seriously enough. My neighbor is NP and she has mask less people coming and going at her house all day long and her kids are out and about with other kids. A friend went to dinner a few months back at the home of 2 medical doctors and they did not wear masks. The doctors thought they were unnecessary. When you think about the masks that most people wear they are pretty useless. Still I choose to limit my exposure to other people and I wear a mask when I have to wade out into the public.

Covid is no joke.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:59 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I am a guy who has argued with numbskulls who state that masks do not work or, they refuse to wear a mask for various reasons requiring various levels of ignorance. Having said that, now that some of us are vaccinated, some of us can actually let our guard down in certain situations. I am an older guy who was vaccinated a couple of weeks ago. Today for the first time in months I am going grocery shopping in the store rather than curbside pick-up. I am still required to wear a mask while shopping but I now have peace of mind. Later this week I am visiting a couple of friends who have also been vaccinated. No one there will be wearing a mask.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
Well, The New York Times is NOT a credible source anymore. However, did they say when the video was taken? I'm stuck behind a paywall. Cases and deaths are dropping significantly everywhere, which would lead me to believe the videos was taken some time ago and "passed off" as something taken within the last week.
If I am not mistaken, over 100,000 people died from COVID in the past five weeks. The video is strictly from the nurses who wore cameras while caring for COVID patients in an ICU. Most patients had their faces blurred.

Too bad you can't get past the paywall. You must have reached your free article limit for the month of that "NOT credible source."

Old 02-28-2021, 01:20 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
My best friend has 3 daughters who are ER nurses. One went to SanFran to administer the vaccine to take a break. One in Texas ER another in Oregon. They travel. Long as they say keep your protocols. I stay put. They see the truth .

Old 02-28-2021, 02:56 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,544 times
Quote:
Well, I have to see what I have to rebut.

I would be curious to know when the videos were taken, that's all. I wonder why that wouldn't be included in the article?.............
Quote:
Well, The New York Times is NOT a credible source anymore. However, did they say when the video was taken? I'm stuck behind a paywall. Cases and deaths are dropping significantly everywhere, which would lead me to believe the videos was taken some time ago and "passed off" as something taken within the last week.
The New York Times is a perfectly credible source, except when it comes to race.

The video was filmed at the end of January. How do I know? The first person who died is listed online as having a death date of 1/26/21. Not that the date makes any difference. Dying of coronavirus still tends to be a drawn out process. It's much better to wear masks and practice social distancing.

If you want to, you can watch the video by opening it in a private browser window. That should get you past the paywall.

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 02-28-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 03:37 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NK5wheOg-M

There are plenty of ICU videos.

There will probably be another temporary spike up in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths with Spring Break and Easter services.

Reopening is happening on a gradual basis to see how the data responds. Perhaps masks are required for a longer period of time while occupancy rates are allowed to move up to 100% with the protection from vaccine and masks in place.

Odds of hospitalization are about 4 percent for the average adult around the median age, but drops significantly from there when you only look at ICU admissions.

The video speaks for itself. The added editorial comment that we cannot let our guard down is open for debate. Not complying with safety measures has dragged this out and continually complaining about it doesn't help. If a kid did that to his parent, he'd be sent to his room...

Old 02-28-2021, 04:01 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I am a guy who has argued with numbskulls who state that masks do not work or, they refuse to wear a mask for various reasons requiring various levels of ignorance. Having said that, now that some of us are vaccinated, some of us can actually let our guard down in certain situations. I am an older guy who was vaccinated a couple of weeks ago. Today for the first time in months I am going grocery shopping in the store rather than curbside pick-up. I am still required to wear a mask while shopping but I now have peace of mind. Later this week I am visiting a couple of friends who have also been vaccinated. No one there will be wearing a mask.
I’m glad you have peace of mind.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
It's better to die free than to live in terror fearing anything and everything.

Thanx, I'll keep my immune system healthy and well tuned. It's the only one I have and it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies