Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 06:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Like this, "mensch"?

"Could have but I am a 1%. Suffering the unable is considered bad form. And yes I guessed what you meant. But why should I do that? Better to invite you to express your though in reasonable English"

I'm not sure you can claim your mother's successes as your own, BTW. That's bravado by proxy. Completely unearned.
I am 82 and mildly handicapped. And I have never been a really great typist. My mother sent me off to typing school as did the US military. I would suggest I am actually pretty good. But when I get into conversational mode I sometimes blow it. Call it to my attention and I will fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 06:51 PM

35,564 posts, read 17,906,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am 82 and mildly handicapped. And I have never been a really great typist. My mother sent me off to typing school as did the US military. I would suggest I am actually pretty good. But when I get into conversational mode I sometimes blow it. Call it to my attention and I will fix it.
The ENTIRE point, mensch, that you missed, is that you criticized another poster for the EXACT same thing you did - inattention to detail when posting. The poster you derided is not illiterate, but rather didn't reread his post before sending, just as you did not.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:52 PM

15,622 posts, read 10,375,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Depending on how you define success.

Very few people can be a super star, but many can manage to be a low-level professional athlete or coach.
In america anyone, no matter his/her family's status or political connections, can be successful, even a janitor's son or daughter. in your country, china, no one who isn't politically connected to the party can rise above their birth status.

opportunity is why you are working in america, betta, instead of choosing to purse a career in china. you could have stayed in communist china and did not. you criticize the country giving you something you could not get at home in china.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-28-2021 at 07:19 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 06:55 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,125,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
i’m sure plenty of parents of white and asian kids being affected are getting what they voted for.

these policies will simply drag down middle class folk to the lowest denominator. the middle class can't afford private schools.

Imagine parents voting away their own child's future for a misguided principle?
Maybe this will wake up the woke? Seeing how wokeness is punishing their sons and daughters for simply having the wrong skin color. I doubt it though, woke Democrats are really stupid people.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times
Quote:
The ENTIRE point, mensch, that you missed, is that you criticized another poster for the EXACT same thing you did - inattention to detail when posting. The poster you derided is not illiterate, but rather didn't reread his post before sending, just as you did not.
nonsense. Simply repost a corrected version which is what I do.

I suspect my mother whacked me on the butt for doing it. But thankfully since she departed it is much less powerful...

Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,862,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Well then private schools wouldn’t be private anymore right ? Then public schools will become “private” , and round a round it goes.
I agree. The real problem is "antiracism" politics punishing one group's merit and rewarding another's mediocrity. Everything else is a symptom stemming form that policy and there is no escaping it as long as it is accepted policy.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 958,588 times
Abolishing honors programs and "gifted & talented" programs wont do anything to help the underperforming students. The kids who are better prepared/talented will still be who they are. And in the real world will still be the more productive, innovative and wealthy. The poor performing kids adult life outcomes wont be enhanced because the special classes for the smarter kids were scrapped. They'll still drop out at the same rate, go to prison at the same rate, get knocked up out-of-wedlock at the same rate and be stuck in low paying jobs at the same rate.

This doesnt solve any problem. Its just left-wing stupidity and their refusal to acknowledge internal group culture and accountability as being meaningful factors in group performance. Only victimhood narratives are allowable.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:17 PM

34,958 posts, read 16,938,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
To me its obvious what’s going on. I hope I’m wrong though, I am most of the time. But IMO somebody is rigging the school system: meaning all the “have nots” will be in public schools being taught useless knowledge of gender identity and wokeness , while the “haves” will send their kids to private schools for STEM studies. Guess who wins.

If this was all planned (for whatever reason)I applaud them for their undermining skills.
The trouble is that Harvard and Yale, and other schools, in their admissions policies reward "wokeness" by penalizing groups that historically accomplish.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,746,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Nope, not even most D1 college players are ever going to the pros, let alone a majority of the population. Only on average 5% of D1 players any given year will turn pro.

Academics, employable skills, are the only way for most anyone regardless of race and gender, to get ahead, not just Asians.
Not necessarily pros of national level.
One can be hired to teach kids playing football, and that is also professional.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:20 PM

34,958 posts, read 16,938,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Quote:
People, I did not post this topic to have a debate about typing. There must be an appropriate subforum for discussions about the niceties of typing, cursive etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies