Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:06 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times

Advertisements

This is right out of the progressive “equal” agenda. If we all didn’t have enough ammunition to dislike the progressives in America, we do now. Both democrats and republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 07:52 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,863,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You mean how the old boy network allows mediocre, privileged white men get high positions and promoted over more qualified women and persons of color who have to be "twice as good"? Your boy Trump was the example of that - not just himself, but all the unqualified hacks he brought into his government.
It took me 6.5 years to earn a 5 year degree because I worked my way through college, including working full time for the last couple years of it. I lived at home until I was 21, had barely any social life until my mid-20s because I was always working or in school.

I worked hard while others pissed away their lives and made excuses for their failures. I’m sure you are unable to face who’s fault it really is for your disadvantaged lifestyle.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:30 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's better, usually, to have people realize on their own that you're very intelligent, rather than telling them in every post.

And what is "your though"?

(Seems every time one purposely tries to belittle someone, there is a clerk with a clip board in the heavens taking note. And it'll come back to them).
That poster also wrote “then” in place of “than”. Sad, when the 1% doesn’t know better ‘than’ that.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually I was well qualified to dis people over typos when I was in the sixth grade. Want an interesting experience try growing up the eldest child of two English Majors one of who is brilliant. Mother was the ultimate English Major. During her entire academic career from grade school through college, through graduate school, through law school, through an LLM in taxation she received all As but one C. The guy who gave her the C was a professor in NYU. She forced him to resign.
You’re missing a comma in that mess.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The linked article below should be cause for concern. Shorn of bureaucratic and educational jargon, this means that successful students should be held down to the level of students in single-parent homes, multiple siblings, no discipline and utter chaos. See linked article, excerpts below:

Boston Public Schools Suspends Test For Advanced Learning Classes; Concerns About Program’s Racial Inequities Linger (linked article)

It's a real pity that successful groups such as Asians and Jews are discriminated against. These people have a mad desire for a certain spurious and damaging equality. Equality must be about meeting and where possible raising peoples' potential. It must not, in the manner of Kurt Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron (not sure whether short story names are underlined) be about dragging down higher-functioning people. In the story, people were "handicapped" so that they could not excel:

It seems we are alarmingly close to this and it's 60 years away from 2081. We are now persecuting high achievers.
So let's just dumb down everyone to make the underachievers feel better, Boy why didn't I think of this? This will solve the inequity problem. Good God we are done as a nation!

Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
It took me 6.5 years to earn a 5 year degree because I worked my way through college, including working full time for the last couple years of it. I lived at home until I was 21, had barely any social life until my mid-20s because I was always working or in school.

I worked hard while others pissed away their lives and made excuses for their failures. I’m sure you are unable to face who’s fault it really is for your disadvantaged lifestyle.
Cheap attempt at deflection noted.

Oh, I'm doing pretty darned well. It's not about me personally, nor is it about you.

Again, maybe you need to direct that question at your boy Trump, who had every advantage given to him, denies reality, and blames his own failures on others - and is the poster child for mediocre, privileged persons with an inflated sense of superiority who sneers at others.

Last edited by silverkris; 03-01-2021 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The linked article below should be cause for concern. Shorn of bureaucratic and educational jargon, this means that successful students should be held down to the level of students in single-parent homes, multiple siblings, no discipline and utter chaos. See linked article, excerpts below:

Boston Public Schools Suspends Test For Advanced Learning Classes; Concerns About Program’s Racial Inequities Linger (linked article)

It's a real pity that successful groups such as Asians and Jews are discriminated against. These people have a mad desire for a certain spurious and damaging equality. Equality must be about meeting and where possible raising peoples' potential. It must not, in the manner of Kurt Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron (not sure whether short story names are underlined) be about dragging down higher-functioning people. In the story, people were "handicapped" so that they could not excel:

It seems we are alarmingly close to this and it's 60 years away from 2081. We are now persecuting high achievers.
Here is their goal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

Old 03-01-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Not going to read the entire thread although I saw this headline in the news earlier today.

A serious, non-hostile, yet direct, blunt, and serious question to every single poster on City-Data who supports affirmative action, who is in favor of the removal of admissions/aptitude/examinations tests which are used by public school systems (such as the exam administered in the 3rd grade by the Boston public school system in this story, such as the SHSAT - a test middle school graduates-to-be in New York City who wish to attend specialized high schools such as Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn Tech must take, and such as the admissions test for preschoolers, also by the NYC public school system, for gifted/talented elementary school children, which will be administered for the last time this spring)....

The disparity of achievement and of participation in accelerated, advanced, talented/gifted programs such as the one in the Boston schools in this story and others such as those in NYC public schools has been defended by ardent leftists such as NYC mayor de Blasio and his school chancellor Carranza. Carranza has said, on the record, that no one ethnic group should own the admissions system, but the plain truth is that for decades, whites and Asians have performed far better than Hispanics and blacks, and THAT is why whites and Asians are so very numerous in these specialized programs for students of higher ability.

If therefore the pause or termination of such exams is chosen to somehow "level" the playing field, this is essentially degrading standards.

Standards are a part of life; not every bright high school student who is good at math will have the requirements to study at MIT. Not every teenage boy who is an excellent basketball player will reach the NBA. And so forth.

If white and Asian students tend to be the ones who most often pass these exams and therefore qualify for these programs, how or why would it be fair to THEM to remove the exams? If black and Hispanic kids tend not to score high enough, how or why is lowering standards and thus hurting white and Asian kids' prospects in ANY WAY going to somehow represent justice?

If Hispanic and black kids don't have what it takes, why should they study alongside students who have what it takes?
The direction NYC public schools were headed was at least half of what drove us out of Manhattan. Add to that their ****-poor services for kids who need extra help (a form of dyslexia in my son‘s case), and getting my kids into a better educational system was a top priority.

None of these progressive ideas that revolve around race are going to help. They won’t help the smartest students, they won’t help the least capable, and they won’t help minorities. Stupidity at the highest (or lowest) level.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Uhmmm My daughters were in the honors program, along with a lot of whites. There were very few minorities in their graduating classes. It wasn't racist, it was a matter of demographics.

It isn't wrong to recognize excellence. It is absolutely wrong to play it down so that those who don't achieve it don't feel lessor. Our country is insane.
Exactly, dumbing people down does not create equity it only creates a bunch of dumb people.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:55 AM

6,666 posts, read 2,969,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

None of these progressive ideas that revolve around race are going to help. They won’t help the smartest students, they won’t help the least capable, and they won’t help minorities. Stupidity at the highest (or lowest) level.
Exactly, it's all hot air. Wasted money, to give people some 'woke job' to put their sjw degree to use.

Any child, Black, White, Asian, that would of excelled at the exams are still going to be better suited for success. Take aptitude tests away and they'd still be at an advantage in terms of education since that is how they were raised regardless of school programs.

It starts with the home.
And is why they will probably be going after that next if they haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies