Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad Straight View Post
I live in rural Wyoming. I dont have a transit system!!! Wow what a revelation HUH Irwin. I dont have the other government paid for transportation that you have. When we get snow its snow and 30-60 mile an hour winds. I have stock to feed and water so you can sit down to your veggie burger and latte in a warm spot. Your whats wrong with the America. You sit in your lil world and make all decisions off a knowlede of a book. Like most people in the US youve taught yoursel out of any common sense and follow like sheep to the slaughter. This wasnt meant to be mean or demeaning just the cold hard facts
Exactly. Even some city folks need a car also. I live in Houston, one of the biggest cities in the country, and our public transit system in nearly non-existent. But hey - they keep building more and more roads and highways, and keep spreading the city out further and further. The lack of foresight by the city planners here is appalling. I wouldn't want to be here (and won't be - moving soon! ) if gas prices keep going up at the rate they are. It would have devastating effects upon the locals here and an economy based upon having a vehicle. There will lots of empty roads and superhighways here. But - no train in sight. Sure there is one right downtown, but given that most of the population doesn't live downtown, and the amount of urban sprawl here, it will be useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here is an article I just read....

Drivers already stung by higher gas prices may have a new complaint.

A new mix of fuel may send less pollution through a vehicle's tailpipe, but is E-10 bad for the engine, and does it really have just 10 percent ethanol?

Formula One Tire and Auto Care in Longwood is testing gasoline to diagnose engine problems. They said 10 percent ethanol can cause problems in vehicles six years and older by clogging fuel filters.

"You're talking thousands (of dollars) if it destroys a fuel system," Formula One Tire and Auto Care representative Craig Smith said.

In two of three cars tested, the gasoline had 11 or 12 percent ethanol. That worried customer John Cinke. If his car has too much ethanol, he said he'll want the gas station investigated.

"(I'm) purchasing gas that could potentially damage my engine," Cinke said.

Ethanol can also be a big problem for small engines, like those on Weed Eaters and lawn mowers, because it can eat up rubber fuel lines.

"It actually slowly dry rots or even if it's too high a percentage, I've seen it melt down fuel lines," Kershaw's Mower and Equipment representative Greg Thomas said.

Manufacturers are sending ethanol test kits to repair shops, and if it's above 10 percent, warranties may be voided.

Worried boat owners also are flooding dealers with calls about ethanol. Experts said newer boats with aluminum tanks are OK with ethanol.

If too much ethanol is found in a vehicle, a mechanic will likely drain the gas tank and refill it with new fuel. The fuel filter may also need to be replaced, which can cost $75 to $80.

By mid-summer, mechanics said they expect to see more customers with ethanol problems.

Now, here is just one thing which really goes against my grain...this stuff is made from corn, right? Corn is cheap....yet, gas prices are still on the rise, with no end in sight???????? Sheeesh, ain't this grand? Just like back in the 60's....there isn't any gas shortage/the earth is constantly making oil....and to boot, we've got plenty of our own oil right here in the U.S. that we could be drilling for??????
I spent $6,000 last year on gas, I'm still fine. Would I prefer it to be cheaper? Ofcourse, would be nice if everything was cheaper. Life goes on.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad Straight View Post
I live in rural Wyoming. I dont have a transit system!!! Wow what a revelation HUH Irwin. I dont have the other government paid for transportation that you have. When we get snow its snow and 30-60 mile an hour winds. I have stock to feed and water so you can sit down to your veggie burger and latte in a warm spot. Your whats wrong with the America. You sit in your lil world and make all decisions off a knowlede of a book. Like most people in the US youve taught yoursel out of any common sense and follow like sheep to the slaughter. This wasnt meant to be mean or demeaning just the cold hard facts
If you want to be a cowboy or a rancher, then you are going to have to pay the cost. People in other countries deal with it. They travel less, they visit local stores rather than driving to the mega-mart miles away, and people in rural areas grow their own food.

Common sense is dealing with reality people. If you choose to live in the sticks, then you have to deal with the positives and negatives. No different than anywhere else. If you can't grasp that simple fact than, well...frankly you're whats wrong with America.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Exactly. Even some city folks need a car also. I live in Houston, one of the biggest cities in the country, and our public transit system in nearly non-existent. But hey - they keep building more and more roads and highways, and keep spreading the city out further and further. The lack of foresight by the city planners here is appalling. I wouldn't want to be here (and won't be - moving soon! ) if gas prices keep going up at the rate they are. It would have devastating effects upon the locals here and an economy based upon having a vehicle. There will lots of empty roads and superhighways here. But - no train in sight. Sure there is one right downtown, but given that most of the population doesn't live downtown, and the amount of urban sprawl here, it will be useless.
You make poor choices and it comes back to bite you. Happens to individuals, happens to cities, happens to countries.

There is plenty of space to build in the inner loop in Houston. They have decent bus service, improving rail transit, and, if one has to drive, it is very short distances. The exact opposite can be said for places like Katy where directions start "Get on the freeway..."

In European cities, the suburbs are generally the poorer, more rundown, "ghetto" areas of the city. We will probably see something similar here given the number of foreclosures and rising gas prices.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Your hatred of Scouting aside, I cannot believe that a Scout can learn from the Discovery Channel what "Snow Camp" is like. Or, survival skills either - unless they ACTUALLY experience them.

Camp is a vital part of Scouting.
The bottom line is you don't need an SUV to go camping. My dad used to take me and my brother on scouting campouts in a Mazda pickup that got excellent fuel economy. Alot of other parents brought their kids in the family car. We didn't require big SUV's and we camped lightly.

Maybe campouts will have to be cut back some, but everybody will have to sacrifice something in the future if we all want to live.

And I don't "hate" scouting, I think there's alot of good things it does, I'm just profoundly disappointed with the political stances the US organization has taken. As a boy scout, our troop didn't practice homophobia and we had one irreligious boy scout. I believe homophobia and intolerance are incompatible with the values I was exposed to, and I choose not to donate to the Boy Scouts until the national organization changes their ways.

Now days "survival skills" would indeed be better taught through stuff besides camping out. How many boys know how to cook or sew for themselves? I didn't learn any of that in scouting. Now days with cellphones and satellite phones, in most cases you won't even need to learn "survival skills" unless you just go looking for trouble somewhere. The whole "campout" thing was the least exciting part of being a Boy Scout, and indeed does have its roots in the homophobic Eduardian Britain, where Baden Powell was afraid that English boys wouldn't grow up to be cannon fodder and butchers of the brown peoples of the world. He was a man of his times, and times change.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Look, if you're going to repeatedly launch into epic tirades about the Boy Scouts, start another thread. It's got nothing to do with the topic of this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies