Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 05:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,337,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I didn't get a job at all let alone one in my field. I only got a very limited time with a career coach. I signed up to get a mentor and they flaked out on me and nothing happened after that. Any time I told them I couldn't find anything all I got was "look on our website at the job listings".
There is far more to getting a job than having a degree my dude. I don’t have a degree at all but am doing very well. Maybe you don’t interview well? Not saying you don’t but a lot of people don’t. Just trying to help out here. No school can guarantee you a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 05:26 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You made a foolish, costly mistake. That's a shame, but it doesn't relieve you from your legal obligation to pay back your loan.

You have a job, so with your income.

That belief is stunningly very far removed from actual reality. The choices you made are exactly why you have tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt and a crappy low-paying job.

Yeah but I don't make that much.

My point is I was cursed to make those choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's always someone else's fault, isn't it?
I mean as I said earlier I think I caused the virus so that's pretty strange to say to me. Aside from that nothing is really my fault. I mean I used to tell myself it was so much so that I thought it was better off I was never born but that's lies we tell ourselves right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

you did NOT want an education....that itself says a lot about you...so just what are you expecting... a cradle to grave handout??
No I just wanted it to be worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
do I think you "belong" as a teacher or the military?? not a chance, if you don't think education is worth it, you would not make a good teacher.... and as to the military, nope, I don't think you would conform to the rules and regulations

again what kind of degree...and where are you willing to look for work??

Exactly so I'm making a good choice not to try and pay it.

I just said but okay: IT/Visual Communications and anything in graphic design/video editing.

Quote:
Then why did you sign contracts to borrow tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to go to college?

I already told you but in case you forgot: I wanted a decent paying job that suited me.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:35 PM

88,780 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Yeah but I don't make that much.

My point is I was cursed to make those choices.
Doesn't matter how much you make. You have a legal obligation to pay back your loan/s.

You were cursed? That's delusional. Why not just take responsibility for the choices you made?

Old 03-02-2021, 05:39 PM

25,458 posts, read 12,580,588 times
Quote:
The bottom half don't have much to give.
Everyone should pay something. They have cell phones, cable tv, a/c, cars, ect.. They can afford to pay up.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM

88,780 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Then why did you sign contracts to borrow tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to go to college?
Quote:
I already told you but in case you forgot: I wanted a decent paying job that suited me.
What makes you think your degree would qualify you for "a decent paying job?" There are college profs with PhDs that earn so little they're on Food Stamps, etc.

Your College Professor Could Be On Public Assistance - NBC News

Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
There is far more to getting a job than having a degree my dude. I don’t have a degree at all but am doing very well. Maybe you don’t interview well? Not saying you don’t but a lot of people don’t. Just trying to help out here. No school can guarantee you a job
I have a new coach with the government. She had me apply for an internship last week but I haven't received a response.
I know there's more to it than having a degree and that's unfortunate because the degree is all I have. I'm sure I don't. I hate interviews. I've been told in the past I'm too honest but the thing is I don't even get that many interviews anyway. This coach seems more promising than my previous ones but I'm not getting my hopes up and I only wish I had her before.

Quote:
Doesn't matter how much you make. You have a legal obligation to pay back your loan/s.

You were cursed? That's delusional. Why not just take responsibility for the choices you made?

What do you mean it doesn't matter? Is the amount 30k or is it 10k? How do I pay it back if I don't have it? With another loan? That wouldn't solve the problem.

If delusional means looking back at my past self with a kinder eye then sure. Because I'm not interested in hating myself all the time for things that weren't my fault. I thought it wasn't healthy to think that way? In fact someone in my head was the one that used to say those things to me so I know they are all lies.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,138,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Nonsense? Oh, I'm sure you know much better that AAEM:

https://www.aaemrsa.org/about/positi...ent-job-market

I understand your desire to get into denial, but in this life and especially in this capitalist system the following is an absolute truth:

1. Hard work means nothing and leads to nowhere.
2. Your own efforts, your abilities, your choices mean nothing and lead to nowhere.
3. The ONLY way to get good job and/or good life is sheer dumb luck.

I've seen way too many proofs of the above (including my own) - to the point when this can count as ultimate fact.

30 years ago I had equal interest in chem and programming. Both were respectable carrier choices. I got into programming, then through the chain of lucky events I got into the position where I'm now. If I've chosen chemistry - ops, there are no more good paying chem jobs in the USA. Zero. All of them went to Canada and China. Some remnants are still in Germany and Russia, but - that's it. Sheer dumb luck.

As for programmers - I've seen guys smarter than me, but getting five times less. I've seen guys infinitely dumber than me, but getting millions - just by being in the right place in the right time. Sheer dumb luck.

Did you even read your own link? Significant difficulty is not the same as being unable to get a job. And there is never a 100% guarantee in any sector or career.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,138,096 times
Quote:
I just said but okay: IT/Visual Communications and anything in graphic design/video editing.

If you're any good at it you should be able to get a decent job. Maybe you will have to relocate to where the jobs are.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,527,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Everyone should pay something. They have cell phones, cable tv, a/c, cars, ect.. They can afford to pay up.
Most of that stuff can be acquired cheap these days, and cars are a necessity in everywhere that isn't Boston, NYC, Philadelphia or Chicago

Old 03-02-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
If you're any good at it you should be able to get a decent job. Maybe you will have to relocate to where the jobs are.

That's the thing: my desire since I was 12 was to move to another state but I have never been able to make that happen. I would lose my coach if I moved out there. I don't know about transferring my job so I would need to find another one. So it's that good old catch 22: Need a job to get out there but need to be out there to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies