Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 02:44 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Its an American tradition dating back to the first boycott of British goods in 1767.
Not even close. It is as anti American as the Oppressive Fascism from where it comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 02:58 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not even close. It is as anti American as the Oppressive Fascism from where it comes.
Just stunning. What UTTER nonsense. Americans have been "canceling" folks from the beginning. And the world has a long history of this. Know what it was called before the idiotic "cancel culture" nonsense? Shunning.

Welcome to America. I'm sorry that your fascist wanne be dictator got shunned. Oh wait. No. I am not. I'm more then happy to shun those who act in this manner. Those who try and overthrow our government deserve to be shunned. Act horribly towards others? Shunned. I am 100% fine with it.

Know why Republicans have shunned people? They loved the wrong color of person. They loved someone of the same sex. And lately? Someone takes a stand for example and votes to impeach Trump. His family shuns him for it.

So for you to go on about how this is "Oppressive Fascism" is garbage.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:47 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If people dont like what you are doing, theyre showing you the door.

And they learned this from watching the republicans. ironic huh? Or in your world should I be forced to buy my pillows?

Nobody is forced to do anything in my world.

"Live and let live".

I'm old enough to remember when the Left considered that a valid philosophy.

Not anymore.......

The Left has grown into exactly the type of fascist, authoritarians they used to be against.

If you can't beat em.....join em, huh?

Old 03-02-2021, 04:00 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Just curious and would love to only hear from people who know first hand. So either you’ve lived in another country or know someone who has. It seems to me like it’s an American obsession now.
The origins of wokeness in America comes from many forms when you look at American history. Much of it stems from religion such as the protestant movements like the 1st and 2nd great awekning. During the early to mid 19th century. These great aweknings will also reappear during the turn of thr 20th century in which your protestant churches allied with 1st wave feminist who were suffragist who helped establish the 19th amendment in favor of the removal of alcohol with prohibition nation wide. This stuff called woke is also not solely from the Anglo Saxon. In California, spanish settlers who colonized California brought the the catholic faction known as Jesuits who believed not only on equality but equity who wanted up lift the undesired. When you look at it. The evangelical protestant is no different than you secular wokes in many ways. Both can not be bartered, questioned or reasoned with. It is their moral truth or the highway.

Than you have further outside influences. You have thr Frankfurt school from Weimar republic germany which was taught by french educators like Derrida and Fucault. And don't forget about the Marxist facist from Italy named Gramzi. All of these men taught cultural Marxism which is very different from mainline class struggle Marxism.

This woke stuff is mainly in 5 eyes nation. What is 5 eyes? United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and UK. All of these countries share same culture, same British foundations and share same ideas. This woke stuff is not in many parts of the world. And I'm sure the academics want to export these ideas globally. French president macron just recently rejected woke ideology from America due to the fact that woke ideas from the Anglosphere clash with French ideals.

Last. This woke stuff is not new. The woke stuff appeared in the late 1960s and died down. Also you have the religious woke from Protestantism and secular woke. Remember these things are only in Anglo Saxon culture. If you don't like wokeness. Please move to an Asian, African, Latin base country like France or Latin America to avoid woke ideology in white Anglo Saxon nations. Mind you it is mostly affluent whites who make up the polity in such nations who think like this.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 03-02-2021 at 05:18 AM..

Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Just stunning. What UTTER nonsense. Americans have been "canceling" folks from the beginning. And the world has a long history of this. Know what it was called before the idiotic "cancel culture" nonsense? Shunning.

Welcome to America. I'm sorry that your fascist wanne be dictator got shunned. Oh wait. No. I am not. I'm more then happy to shun those who act in this manner. Those who try and overthrow our government deserve to be shunned. Act horribly towards others? Shunned. I am 100% fine with it.

Know why Republicans have shunned people? They loved the wrong color of person. They loved someone of the same sex. And lately? Someone takes a stand for example and votes to impeach Trump. His family shuns him for it.

So for you to go on about how this is "Oppressive Fascism" is garbage.
You're actually exhibiting what you think you're against is YOURSELF.

Holy cow, I can picture you spewing that crap while looking in a MIRROR!

No. Self. Awareness.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
You're actually exhibiting what you think you're against is YOURSELF.

Holy cow, I can picture you spewing that crap while looking in a MIRROR!

No. Self. Awareness.

Strikingly obvious to everyone but him. Her?

Old 03-02-2021, 04:12 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It's more than just boycotts, it's going after individuals, trying to get them fired from their jobs, ruin their future career prospects, and in some cases threats and actual violence, often for nothing more than engaging in wrongthink.

This.

To use Greywar's example of Taylor Swift......

If a Republican didn't like Taylor for being a Dem, they simply wouldn't listen to or buy her music.

But if she had come out as a Trump supporter, Dems would demand that she be fired from her record company, her videos banned from TV, internet and radio.

That's the difference.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:33 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This.

To use Greywar's example of Taylor Swift......

If a Republican didn't like Taylor for being a Dem, they simply wouldn't listen to or buy her music.

But if she had come out as a Trump supporter, Dems would demand that she be fired from her record company, her videos banned from TV, internet and radio.

That's the difference.
Exactly! greywar, you may identify as a progressive/liberal, but please understand: you are not a liberal.. And your type of thinking is extremely regressive and antithetical to American values of freedom of speech, religion, etc.

Here is the definition of liberal (the classical kind), before modern-day "liberals" completely ruined the word.

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.
relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

Now, greywar, please be honest: does that describe you? To what extent do you agree or disagree with the above?

Also, let's zoom further out and not just pick on greywar. Which of the two political parties would best align with the above definition of liberal? I think it's obvious that the Dems have become the true fascists and authoritarians here.

Modern-day 2021 conservatives are the true liberals in the classical sense. Nearly all of us will respect someone for holding opposing viewpoints, are fine to live and let live, value our freedom of speech, and utterly reject this "woke" cancel culture crap.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Exactly! greywar, you may identify as a progressive/liberal, but please understand: you are not a liberal.. And your type of thinking is extremely regressive and antithetical to American values of freedom of speech, religion, etc.

Here is the definition of liberal (the classical kind), before modern-day "liberals" completely ruined the word.

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.
relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

Now, greywar, please be honest: does that describe you? To what extent do you agree or disagree with the above?

Also, let's zoom further out and not just pick on greywar. Which of the two political parties would best align with the above definition of liberal? I think it's obvious that the Dems have become the true fascists and authoritarians here.

Modern-day 2021 conservatives are the true liberals in the classical sense. Nearly all of us will respect someone for holding opposing viewpoints, are fine to live and let live, value our freedom of speech, and utterly reject this "woke" cancel culture crap.
Spot on, he and others are mere Fascists. Control Freaks that want to remove your Rights, Freedoms and Liberties for total government dependence.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:55 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/

lol. You are new here. I am absolutely willing to change my opinion on things when given factual data. But really your arguments are nonsense. Folks arent getting cancelled for "opinions", they're getting it for doing pretty awful things, or being awful people. You dont get a "I can be horrible without any consequences". Thats just nuts. Take some responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies