Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

So many 'Go Fund Me' on facebook now for medical reasons.

It's pretty pathetic for the 'greatest country on earth" that this is how people have to try and get their medical bills paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Progressive, poor would just pay a VAT on everything they buy, and you could raise federal income tax as well as tax capital gains and dividends like normal W2 income
we spend 17% of GDP every year on healthcare.

So, would you charge a 17% VAT? Or what? What's the gap of the poor - in excess of Medicaid/CHIP - that the non-poor should pay?

Maybe folks should be required to get an annual physical, and have the doctor "prescribe" a lifestyle, that they show they follow quarterly? Unless they pay their "fair share or more", then they get personal choice?

Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Believe it or not it used to be worse. The fact that we improved it to get to this point, and it was a non stop fight to do so horrifies me. How can we look at this stuff and think that this is ok is beyond me.

I got cancer. While having a truly rough time with Chemo, I tried to work as much as I could to not lose my insurance. This meant when I was at work, I had to keep barf bags handy so I could avoid barfing all over the place. And being as secretive about it as possible. I lost all of my hair (rare for my chemo), and that gave it away. I managed only part time by the end. But I kept my insurance.

almost 200K all told in bills. a decade ago? I didn't have insurance, and would have ate it. Lost my home, etc. But I make enough money to afford top rate insurance. I also had a separate policy covering hospitalization. Another covering cancer specifically, AND gap insurance to cover my copay. And despite that...im still digging out of debt. Im covered better then 99% of the people out there.

And until you see it in person, or have it happen to you you have ZERO idea just how bad it is. six figure medical bills.

The more you have the more they take. In many case it's better to live as a parasite with no assets, or to hide the assets you have. You can get everything free if you don't have anything they can take.

I would argue we should charge more for people who take more risks in life, and that there should be a law of diminishing returns after which we can decide not to treat a person. If you're going to spend $5,000,000 to extend a person's life 6 months is it worth it?

Old 03-02-2021, 11:03 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
If America were half as great as it's boosters, chestthumper "national pride" type cheerleaders claimed it was, then why do we have stuff like this going on?
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/stat...372236/photo/1
It's sad. I would attach some of these dire people to a wealthy -light\up and smoke the money like cigar type and say here ya go-your good deed for the day. they can never spend it all -that's even sadder.
I do however applaud those that attend the charity events the hospitals etc. to donate. I do not think they are they super rich... but they give back

Old 03-02-2021, 11:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
If America were half as great as it's boosters, chestthumper "national pride" type cheerleaders claimed it was, then why do we have stuff like this going on?
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/stat...372236/photo/1
Why would people have children whom they can't properly care for?

Old 03-02-2021, 11:14 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why would people have children whom they can't properly care for?

because otherwise our population would drop like a rock.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:19 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I agree there need to be some changes, but there also needs to be more personal responsibility, the importance of marriage, having kids within a marriage, being dedicated to your kids. Where is these kids’ father? Why isn’t he helping? It is not society’s responsibility to make up for everyone’s lack of being a responsible person.
Depends on what kind of insurance policy you have. There are many married people who go through the same thing, and have gone through financial ruin even if both partners are covered. Plenty of married couples have gone into financial ruin over medical bills.Those medical bills can sneak up on you in ways you can never imagine. There are all kinds of reasons they are not married, it is what it is and life happens. Anyone who has lived life understand these things happen!!

Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we spend 17% of GDP every year on healthcare.

So, would you charge a 17% VAT? Or what? What's the gap of the poor - in excess of Medicaid/CHIP - that the non-poor should pay?

Maybe folks should be required to get an annual physical, and have the doctor "prescribe" a lifestyle, that they show they follow quarterly? Unless they pay their "fair share or more", then they get personal choice?
That's not how it works in countries that have single payer. Look, I get that you hate poor people and think that they should pay more just so that you can pay less, even if it means they can't get needed care. But myself and many others disagree with you

Old 03-02-2021, 11:32 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
We are going in the wrong direction.

The focus should be on lowering the price structure, and getting the government out of the revenue stream so that health care can be more like auto repairs rather than home loans.

A country is not great because government has to take from taxpayers to pay someone else's bill.

A country is great when people can afford their own bill.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:58 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We are going in the wrong direction.

The focus should be on lowering the price structure, and getting the government out of the revenue stream so that health care can be more like auto repairs rather than home loans.

A country is not great because government has to take from taxpayers to pay someone else's bill.

A country is great when people can afford their own bill.
Exactly this !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies