Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 07:31 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Still no. You have no idea if those people would otherwise be alive. Many of them were very elderly, and in care facilities. Would they still be alive a year later? Nobody knows. My 90 year old uncle died in August. Not of Covid, but because 90 year olds die.

Do you also feel bad for the kids that have killed themselves because of the shut down? The folks that have lost their businesses and their family's livelihoods? The people that died because they were too afraid to go to the hospital with a non-covid illness? The folks whose cancer spread because their treatments were delayed? The families whose loved ones died alone?

Yes the virus has taken a terrible toll so the solution is to prematurely allow 100% capacity in businesses and ban masks, especially in a state that is near the bottom in vaccine distribution. Going full throttle in Texas makes absolutely no sense and dropping the requirement for mask flies in the face of common sense. Abbott's timing for this also seems suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
approx 20% of people say they will never get the vaccine so you're going to be wearing a mask a long time. And you're doing this out of respect for them?

LMAO
Once we get above 50% of people vaccinated we will be in a different world, if we get to 80% it will be fairly close to normal. I don't understand why removing a mask is such a badge of honor.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Maybe? It finally dawned on me that the high proportion of Asians who wore masks where I grew up might have been onto something.

The anti-mask sentiments honestly really puzzle me.
Well, I guess you are easily puzzeled. I can only speak of my experience in South Korea, but many there wear masks because the air in densely populated cities like Seoul is heavy with particulate matter because of heavy traffic. I think you can find the same behavior in many densely populated Asian cities. It's not always because of a virus, which in fact, masks provide little protection against.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:57 AM

390 posts, read 366,580 times
Opening up I understand, even if I disagree.

The mask mandate? I just cannot fathom why it is SUCH a big deal to people to wear a mask that this would be removed. Do those folks just have incredibly sensitive and delicate faces? Insanely poor lung function? I get they aren't super comfortable and believe me, I would certainly prefer NOT to wear one, but I just cannot comprehend how it has become such a big deal for some people. The science is pretty darn clear they help. Yes, "But so-and-so-area didn't have a mask mandate and only had X people die." Viruses are complex and a million things factor into transmission and death rates. So that analysis that would struggle to earn you a "C-" in a 6th grade science fair is probably not one we should use to set national policy. Even putting that aside, it certainly doesn't hurt and if there is even a 1% chance it <might> help, I just can't imagine not wearing a mask at a time like this. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. If it does, you keep a couple people from getting sick, maybe including yourself. Maybe it helps us kick this thing to the curb so we can get the economy roaring again sooner. I'd be willing to do a helluva lot more than just wear a mask to help make that happen.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:05 AM

23 posts, read 7,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
approx 20% of people say they will never get the vaccine so you're going to be wearing a mask a long time. And you're doing this out of respect for them?

LMAO
When the non-vaccinated realize they will not be allowed on many private properties many will Change their minds.
The anti vaccine movement is truly hysterical.
If they have ever taken prescription medicine or drank alcohol excessively or eat junk food they did a lot worse to their body than a vaccine would ever do.
People do not realize how ridiculous it is to be scared of a vaccine.

https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth...ovid-vaccines/

Old 03-05-2021, 08:09 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Opening up I understand, even if I disagree.

The mask mandate? I just cannot fathom why it is SUCH a big deal to people to wear a mask that this would be removed. Do those folks just have incredibly sensitive and delicate faces? Insanely poor lung function? I get they aren't super comfortable and believe me, I would certainly prefer NOT to wear one, but I just cannot comprehend how it has become such a big deal for some people. The science is pretty darn clear they help. Yes, "But so-and-so-area didn't have a mask mandate and only had X people die." Viruses are complex and a million things factor into transmission and death rates. So that analysis that would struggle to earn you a "C-" in a 6th grade science fair is probably not one we should use to set national policy. Even putting that aside, it certainly doesn't hurt and if there is even a 1% chance it <might> help, I just can't imagine not wearing a mask at a time like this. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. If it does, you keep a couple people from getting sick, maybe including yourself. Maybe it helps us kick this thing to the curb so we can get the economy roaring again sooner. I'd be willing to do a helluva lot more than just wear a mask to help make that happen.
Face diapers are the modern day swastika. In the 1930s and 40s in Germany, those things were practically required to be worn all over to show their loyalty to herr furher and the country. Now the current regime wants to force people to wear them to show their undying loyalty to "the cause." This DESPITE the fact that masks do NOT protect against viruses. Every scientific study until 2020 said as much, then all of a sudden, they flipped, using bad reasoning at best, and flat out lies at worst!

The tired old question "would you want your surgeon to not wear one?" is bogus. When you have a person cut open just two feet underneath you, even the normally harmless bacteria living on the outside of all of us can cause a massive life-threatening infection since you're bypassing one of the strongest and most important components of our immune system, your skin. Frankly I'm now of the opinion that surgeons should wear full, sealed cleanroom suits that are sprayed 100% with strong disinfectant prior to surgery. Or at least have full head hoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMet20 View Post
When the non-vaccinated realize they will not be allowed on many private properties many will Change their minds.
I sure as heck won't! I'll just do without. Besides, once cases drop to basically nothing as they're on track to do by late spring, I give the vaccine hysteria another year at best before places stop requiring it. Very places that the general public would go ever worried about vaccines before, after a short time, they'll tire of the overhead in verifying everyone's vaccine status.
Quote:
The anti vaccine movement is truly hysterical.
GOOD GRIEF! How many times do we have to repeat IT IS NOT ABOUT VACCINES THEMSELVES! It is about a rushed-to-production, experimental vaccine of a type never before used. I REFUSE to take it for 5-10 years, by then we should know what the long-term effects will be.

Quote:
If they have ever taken prescription medicine or drank alcohol excessively or eat junk food they did a lot worse to their body than a vaccine would ever do.
WE DO NOT KNOW THAT YET! Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

Quote:
People do not realize how ridiculous it is to be scared of a vaccine.

https://www.hackensackmeridianhealth...ovid-vaccines/
Ok, let me turn this one around a little bit. Supposedly, corona can cause massive, long-term organ damage. Do we know the mechanism that it accomplishes this by? What if it's that protein that this virus has that actually causes the damage, and now this vaccine is telling our bodies to produce it? Will we even be looking for that damage the way we look at it in people known to have contracted corona?

Last edited by MattCW; 03-05-2021 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Face diapers are the modern day swastika. In the 1930s and 40s in Germany, those things were practically required to be worn all over to show their loyalty to herr furher and the country. Now the current regime wants to force people to wear them to show their undying loyalty to "the cause." This DESPITE the fact that masks do NOT protect against viruses. Every scientific study until 2020 said as much, then all of a sudden, they flipped, using bad reasoning at best, and flat out lies at worst!

The tired old question "would you want your surgeon to not wear one?" is bogus. When you have a person cut open just two feet underneath you, even the normally harmless bacteria living on the outside of all of us can cause a massive life-threatening infection since you're bypassing one of the strongest and most important components of our immune system, your skin. Frankly I'm now of the opinion that surgeons should wear full, sealed cleanroom suits that are sprayed 100% with strong disinfectant prior to surgery. Or at least have full head hoods.

I sure as heck won't! I'll just do without. Besides, once cases drop to basically nothing as they're on track to do by late spring, I give the vaccine hysteria another year at best before places stop requiring it. Very places that the general public would go ever worried about vaccines before, after a short time, they'll tire of the overhead in verifying everyone's vaccine status.

GOOD GRIEF! How many times do we have to repeat IT IS NOT ABOUT VACCINES THEMSELVES! It is about a rushed-to-production, experimental vaccine of a type never before used. I REFUSE to take it for 5-10 years, by then we should know what the long-term effects will be.

WE DO NOT KNOW THAT YET! Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

Ok, let me turn this one around a little bit. Supposedly, corona can cause massive, long-term organ damage. Do we know the mechanism that it accomplishes this by? What if it's that protein that this virus has that actually causes the damage, and now this vaccine is telling our bodies to produce it? Will we even be looking for that damage the way we look at it in people known to have contracted corona?
Ignorant post of the day!
Mask wearing should not be mandated but the right masks do reduce the risk of spreading virus.
Also hilarious your take with vaccines.
If you eat fast food, drink beer, smoke, take prescription medicine and are worried about long term effects of vaccines you are a lost soul.
That is all.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:42 AM

390 posts, read 366,580 times
Quote:
This is kinda my point. People like this are (unfortunately) why mandates are necessary. Wild, insane hyperbole (really? Are bike helmets and seat belts also swastikas)? What are your science credentials that have you so qualified to interpret findings? Science isn't politics. Flipping isn't a bad thing for scientists if new data comes out suggesting something different. In fact, refusing to flip is a bad thing. It is why many of us laugh at politicians. Smart people change their opinion when presented with new information. I've read many of the studies (have you?). Not news articles describing the studies, the actual studies. Yes, some have mixed findings and some are weaker than others but the evidence pretty clearly indicates they help. They aren't perfect. Its not a magic cure. Yes, you can absolutely still get COVID wearing one. But it helps.

And again...even if they don't help...what is the harm? I don't know where all these ideas about masks as loyalty to government/party come from. I have yet to meet a single person wearing a mask as a show of loyalty to government - we're all just doing it because hey, maybe it helps and it is a small piece of fabric over your mouth and nose so who cares. If we all do it, maybe we can open the movie theatre back up a little sooner and if we don't, oh well, it was mildly annoying but no big deal.

Are you worried Fauci is acting as a secret agent to help "big cloth" stage a world takeover via invisible mind control chips that transmit the radio signals sent by Jewish space lasers to your dental implants? Or something like that?

Old 03-05-2021, 08:50 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMet20 View Post
Ignorant post of the day!
Mask wearing should not be mandated but the right masks do reduce the risk of spreading virus.
Not according to scientific studies.

Quote:
Also hilarious your take with vaccines.

If you eat fast food, drink beer, smoke, take prescription medicine and are worried about long term effects of vaccines you are a lost soul.
That is all.
Well I don't drink, don't smoke, the last prescription I had was a 5 day course of Prednisone over a year ago, and of my 14 weekly meals (I basically don't eat breakfast), only 3-4 are "fast food." Regardless of these two categories I fit in, we know the long term effects of them, and none of these are experimental items rushed to production within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
This is kinda my point. People like this are (unfortunately) why mandates are necessary. Wild, insane hyperbole (really? Are bike helmets and seat belts also swastikas)?
They've been proven to work, they aren't excessive, and they don't have a cult pushing them.

Quote:
What are your science credentials that have you so qualified to interpret findings?
Data analyst in the healthcare field.
Quote:
Science isn't politics.
Then explain fauci, birx, and even the global warming cult.

Quote:
Flipping isn't a bad thing for scientists if new data comes out suggesting something different. In fact, refusing to flip is a bad thing.
Not remotely correct. Do you understand how masks work? That they aren't some magic immune system substitute that seeks out and kills the nasty particles. They're just fibers close enough together to prevent anything over a certain size from going through. That's like saying a cow can fit through a gate that's 20ft wide, then tomorrow claiming it can't when the size of the cow and the gate haven't changed. Science changes, sure, but at this point, it's mostly the details of how. This is like claiming "because scientists are studying how gravity works, when you drop something, it may no longer fall." Scientists are studying the how, but unless they actually succeed in breaking the universe on a wide scale, when I drop something on Earth, it's going to fall. If a mask has fibers 200 microns apart, and a virus particle is 70-90 microns big, then guess what? The mask isn't going to filter that, and no amount of "science" is going to change that.

Quote:
It is why many of us laugh at politicians. Smart people change their opinion when presented with new information. I've read many of the studies (have you?).
Yes.

Quote:
Not news articles describing the studies, the actual studies. Yes, some have mixed findings and some are weaker than others but the evidence pretty clearly indicates they help. They aren't perfect. Its not a magic cure. Yes, you can absolutely still get COVID wearing one. But it helps.

And again...even if they don't help...what is the harm? I don't know where all these ideas about masks as loyalty to government/party come from. I have yet to meet a single person wearing a mask as a show of loyalty to government - we're all just doing it because hey, maybe it helps and it is a small piece of fabric over your mouth and nose so who cares. If we all do it, maybe we can open the movie theatre back up a little sooner and if we don't, oh well, it was mildly annoying but no big deal.
The harm is what it represents. It's nothing short of blind indoctrination when again, the studies, and now the data, says that they DO NOT WORK! I don't know what people you've been talking to, but quite a few I know are truly treating this as "patriotic duty" and using them as some kind of "holier than thou" badge of honor.
Quote:
Are you worried Fauci is acting as a secret agent to help "big cloth" stage a world takeover via invisible mind control chips that transmit the radio signals sent by Jewish space lasers to your dental implants? Or something like that?
Are you freaking kidding me? You were actually arguing fairly reasonably up to this point. You're equating someone being cautious about new and experimental vaccines with insane conspiracy theories??? Talk about throwing hyperbole around...

Last edited by MattCW; 03-05-2021 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Coronaviruses have been studied a long time.
SarsCov2 is nouvelle but the family has been around a long time.
Matt , you are too worked up about the vaccines.
The ingredients are not making some Frankenstein creation.
I get some apprehension about the long term but also remember MRNA has been studied for twenty years now I believe.
It’s not like they made this **** up last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies