Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 10:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You just described the vast majority of Democrats and sadly about half the country.
Republicans like govt. intervention as much as anybody as long as it supports their agenda.

Plenty of over reach by Republican run state and federal governments over the years.

We all seem to tolerate some over reach and resent other times the govt. legislates us how to live.

Conservatives would mandate Christian prayers in school but rant against liberals who say no prayer because not everyone is a Christian. (not the best example but you get the idea).

It's just different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 10:25 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who has the authority to tell them to leave.... If you are open for business in Texas, you have to serve everyone, unless they are breaking the law, or causing a disturbance. Part of being allowed by the incorporated city or county, to do business in their jurisdiction, under state law and municipal codes.
Discrimination pays a heavy price in Texas.
You are incorrect. EVERY business has the right to refuse service for any reason.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Republicans like govt. intervention as much as anybody as long as it supports their agenda.

Plenty of over reach by Republican run state and federal governments over the years.

We all seem to tolerate some over reach and resent other times the govt. legislates us how to live.

Conservatives would mandate Christian prayers in school but rant against liberals who say no prayer because not everyone is a Christian. (not the best example but you get the idea).

It's just different strokes for different folks.
Its true both Democrats and Republican's are both getting more radical by the year. Thats why I am not optimistic with either. Though the difference is Democrat's agenda is much more global while Republican agendas are more isolated in comparison.

One interesting thing I see about Texas though is that its cities especially major ones have a lot of autonomy in terms of policy making almost like states of their own. In other words they seem to be embracing Democrat policies not so different from "blue" states. In this case I be curious what would the governor's stance affect to a large portion of the population who live in such cities. I am sure those cities would definitely still retain mask mandates of their own. Though how much power to enforce it depends on how much power the state of Texas gives. The biggest issue with quite a number of red states is that they allow their cities too much authority to manage their cities consequentially resulting in 70% of their population living in mini NYs or CAs.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:42 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
No you wouldn’t. You don’t understand basic concepts like freedom, individual choice and risk. You accept whatever the government and media tells you to do. You aren’t alone.
I surely do understand those concepts. In this case, government is telling you that you have to do something so you don't harm someone else, which has nothing to do with freedom. You don't get to exercise your individual choice when it harms someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You are incorrect. EVERY business has the right to refuse service for any reason.
Other than refusing to serve a customer based on protected status like race, religion, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its true both Democrats and Republican's are both getting more radical by the year. Thats why I am not optimistic with either. Though the difference is Democrat's agenda is much more global while Republican agendas are more isolated in comparison.

One interesting thing I see about Texas though is that its cities especially major ones have a lot of autonomy in terms of policy making almost like states of their own. In other words they seem to be embracing Democrat policies not so different from "blue" states. In this case I be curious what would the governor's stance affect to a large portion of the population who live in such cities. I am sure those cities would definitely still retain mask mandates of their own. Though how much power to enforce it depends on how much power the state of Texas gives. The biggest issue with quite a number of red states is that they allow their cities too much authority to manage their cities consequentially resulting in 70% of their population living in mini NYs or CAs.
Texas' major cities are predominantly Democrat. That's why Governor Abbott is trying to stop them from doing things he doesn't like. He's all for local control as long as it's in line with his thinking.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:51 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I surely do understand those concepts. In this case, government is telling you that you have to do something so you don't harm someone else, which has nothing to do with freedom. You don't get to exercise your individual choice when it harms someone else.

Other than refusing to serve a customer based on protected status like race, religion, etc.

Texas' major cities are predominantly Democrat. That's why Governor Abbott is trying to stop them from doing things he doesn't like. He's all for local control as long as it's in line with his thinking.
You need to stay in your bedroom for the next two hours. And when you leave you have to wear a big red clown nose. These things don’t harm anyone else so please post photos of your compliance.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are leaving out context in those broad statements you just made, Fauci stated young healthy people can go on cruises and he was referring to N95 masks that were being depleted, besides that was in March 2020. Still pulling out comments from a year ago because that makes your case for ignoring any medical advice.

If you don't like Osterholm or Fauci then there are plenty of excellent medical experts, so who do you listen to if you don't like their advice. All these great doctors in our country and we were a complete failure, anyone with any degree of intelligence should be able to listen but they just don't want to wear masks.

Better to listen to the likes of Scott Atlas and the other nutty doctors that signed the Great Barrington Declaration. Osterholm called the pandemic by the way back in January and told 3M to start mass producing masks, so who is your expert.

interestingly, you're actually right about Fauci and saying YOUNG people and cruises; it's too bad that's not how the news reported it.

he said this about masks:

Quote:
Fauci first spoke about the wearing of masks amid the COVID-19 pandemic during a March interview with 60 Minutes.

"Right now, in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks," Fauci said during the interview. "There's no reason to be walking around with a mask."

He continued, "When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is."
I listen to/read ALL of the medical stuff I see. I don't think Scott Atlas knew much (though probably more than us) about epidemiology and didn't really pay attention to him since it's not his area of treatment or expertise. But a pediatrician or PCP that is seeing Covid cases in kids or other types of generally-healthy patients, their actual evidence is more accurate and thus important than the epidemiologists at the CDC or Osterholm.

Anyone who says the masks "do nothing" is just as wrong as those who believe the masks do everything. I've been consistent with that.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:25 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You need to stay in your bedroom for the next two hours. And when you leave you have to wear a big red clown nose. These things don’t harm anyone else so please post photos of your compliance.
Wearing a clown nose doesn't prevent me from harming someone else inadvertently. Wearing a mask does. I get that at heart you are a petulant teenager, but it's time to grow up and act like an adult who is a member of society and understands that freedoms are not always unlimited.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes 3,000 nationwide but actually closer to 4,000 now. I recall we had around 3,000 Covid19 cases back in early March 2020 and it doubled every few days, this appears to be worse if it's not controlled.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ant-cases.html

Quote:
About a month ago, 1 to 4% of COVID-19 cases diagnosed in the US were of the B.1.1.7 variant, Osterholm said. But today, about 30 to 40% of new cases were the variant.
https://www.businessinsider.com/oste...rricane-2021-3
I'm guessing when we first brought this up, the CDC data was for March 4, as it now states it's as of March 11.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ant-cases.html

As of March 11, they had increased to 4,690. Between 3/4 and 3/11, there were 399,000 total new Covid "cases". 1,690/339,000 = 0.5% of cases, not Osterholm's claimed 30-40%.

Heck, the lowest single day was 45,000. 1690/45000 is 3.8%.

Now do you see why I don't listen to Osterholm?

Meanwhile, in Texas, with a 5 day average period to develop symptoms/become contagious they opened up 6 days ago and so far, so good. Fewer cases and fewer new deaths than NY.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:12 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Wearing a clown nose doesn't prevent me from harming someone else inadvertently. Wearing a mask does. I get that at heart you are a petulant teenager, but it's time to grow up and act like an adult who is a member of society and understands that freedoms are not always unlimited.
When you drive a motor vehicle you might inadvertently injure someone. Please save lives and give up your drivers license. If you don’t you are a selfish petulant child.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:17 PM

140 posts, read 234,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20
The problem is that there are numerous asymptomatic carriers that feel fine, but still infect others. Can you articulate how wearing a mask harms you?
I dont think you would understand but Ill try

Makes it hard for me to breathe,sometimes small particles are in the mask and if I breathe them in I gag and choke...

Back at the start of last year I did wear one (I didnt realise it wasnt that enforced) and hours later I felt aweful,like breathing in my own exhaled air was causing something.......

I do not like having something restrict my air flow....... Can cause alot of problems!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies