Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 11:29 AM

17,607 posts, read 13,425,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I thought I was pretty clear with the sentence I used. Wartime scenarios are created/facilitated so that defense contractors get government contracts and enrich themselves. Normalcy.

Trump didn't do that. He fought to make them impotent using weaponry and sanctions. We didn't see much military action near the end of his term. Troops were coming home. We did see peace deals sprouting up. That's not normal. Peace is not profit.
The question then is if Trump was so great at this...

Why did all of "his" generals quit in disgust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:31 AM

25,220 posts, read 18,382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I suppose because they missed fighting wars.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,737,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Trump ran on increasing defense spending (after the tea party jammed in the sequester under Obama), increased defense spending while in office, threatened to nuke countries over twitter, and dropped substantial ordinance in Syria. Trump pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal (like it or not) and assassinated one of Iran's top military figures. That was not peace.
He dealt with what existed what whatever tools necessary - weaponry, sanctions, threats... whatever.

They figured out he meant business in the way he dealt with them militarily. He did not play patty cake with them. He dropped a MOAB on them. He wiped out their top terrorist. When they saw and felt he meant business, and had success in his strategy, they stood down and didn't do much else. Then he started bring troops home and brokering peace deals.

These are facts that are not arguable.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Who cares?

Ask them.

You can always find something complain about if you try hard enough.

Peace in the middle east was supposed to be the great triumph of mankind... until it began to be a reality with Trump. Now it's "what about the generals?" Give me a break...

Old 03-03-2021, 12:00 PM

15,579 posts, read 6,317,765 times
This is an existing conflict and we're already involved; the last President didn't withdraw US troops from Iraq, so the current President gets to inherit the situation.

Possibly somebody is sending a message regarding US relations with Iran.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,247,766 times
https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...defense-budget

OP implied that tax dollars will go to defense now that Trump is out of office, implying that Trump reduced defense spending. This is clearly not true.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:04 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
I mean, we've only been there long enough for the sons of soldiers to be sent there after their dads were,

the Iraqi people voted to kick us out after 2 decades.

We didn't need their vote to invade/occupy, we damn sure don't need their vote to leave them to their own devices. I believe the US should have a very simple ME policy, tell every country in the region they can either learn to live together or die together, it's not our problem. But, mess with the US and they will be vaporized.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...defense-budget

OP implied that tax dollars will go to defense now that Trump is out of office, implying that Trump reduced defense spending. This is clearly not true.
You're not getting it.

Defense is going to spend the money - but on whom? If peace is allowed to persist, there will not be a need to spend money on defense contractors that support middle east operations.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,247,766 times
Quote:
You're not getting it.

Defense is going to spend the money - but on whom? If peace is allowed to persist, there will not be a need to spend money on defense contractors that support middle east operations.
Here is what you posted, verbatim:

Quote:
The Defense Industry loves the return to normalcy as their pockets will once again be full of defense contract money which I will be paying them.
So now you're moving the goalposts.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:04 PM

4,317 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
I thought I was pretty clear with the sentence I used. Wartime scenarios are created/facilitated so that defense contractors get government contracts and enrich themselves. Normalcy.

Trump didn't do that. He fought to make them impotent using weaponry and sanctions. We didn't see much military action near the end of his term. Troops were coming home. We did see peace deals sprouting up. That's not normal. Peace is not profit.
Action was happening, it just was not spoken of very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
This is an existing conflict and we're already involved; the last President didn't withdraw US troops from Iraq, so the current President gets to inherit the situation.

Possibly somebody is sending a message regarding US relations with Iran.
The current President is dealing with some of that crap from when he was Vice President.
Troops are not coming out of places, in fact I know people who are gearing up to go back overseas...which was planned two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies