Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 11:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, the motivation to work is to not be poor. If you work and are still poor, what the hell is the point?
NO, the motivation to acquire a job skill is not to be poor. If you have a job that can be taught before lunch your first day, then you will have to “buddy up” in a group house with others similarly situated. A modest three bedroom townhouse with a full walk-out basement (and a bathroom down there too) can be rented for $2000 a month, so four people sharing pay $500 each. Problem solved.

If you don’t like sharing, then you need to become more valuable in the job market. This really is not rocket science!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 12:03 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
NO, the motivation to acquire a job skill is not to be poor. If you have a job that can be taught before lunch your first day, then you will have to “buddy up” in a group house with others similarly situated. A modest three bedroom townhouse with a full walk-out basement (and a bathroom down there too) can be rented for $2000 a month, so four people sharing pay $500 each. Problem solved.

If you don’t like sharing, then you need to become more valuable in the job market. This really is not rocket science!
I've been saying that no one is owed anything or deserves to paid a certain amount no matter what on this board for a while.

It's just not how things work. Basic economics 101 applies here. Supply and demand is applicable in the job market. It's another reason to not flood the country with low skilled low educated people. All it does is hurt low skilled people here.

I've worked in the HVAC industry as a Controls Engineer for 28 years. I now work as an owner rep/consultant. I'm not worried about an illegal taking my job, not yet anyway.

My point is is that if you have low skills that can be learned very quickly, you arent going to make a whole lot of money. As you gain more specific skills that are in demand, you can command more money.

People on the far left seem to either ignore or can't grasp this very very simple concept. People on the left seem to ignore logic and appear to operate more on emotions.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:47 AM

1,169 posts, read 751,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's just not how things work. Basic economics 101 applies here. Supply and demand is applicable in the job market. It's another reason to not flood the country with low skilled low educated people. All it does is hurt low skilled people here.
[...]

People on the far left seem to either ignore or can't grasp this very very simple concept. People on the left seem to ignore logic and appear to operate more on emotions.
They aren't ignorant or ignoring it. They want to replace it, or at least put a leash on it.

Economics is basically sociology. Human nature meets policy. The magic hand of the market isn't really magic, it's directed by the body politic, though one has to be very careful about the law of unintended consequences.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:11 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Another good post from the math fella.

I heard that Chavez sent goons out to bust illegals heads in that attempted to cross the border illegally....but what do I know....

I do know that they doesn't fit the lefty narrative.. know that much...
Said it here before, large numbers of illegal laborers has been the greatest bi-partisan con-job ever pulled off by the wealthy and large corporations in this country.

They work hard for low wages, they will NOT unionize and have no real rights.

The evil-brilliant part is that they've managed to present any opposition to it as racism....while suppressing blue collar labor wages which disproportionately hurts minorities.

But wait, they'll fix it by (laughing hysterically) increasing the minimum wage. Oh well, it's easy to fool the uneducated and overly partisan.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Said it here before, large numbers of illegal laborers has been the greatest bi-partisan con-job ever pulled off by the wealthy and large corporations in this country.

They work hard for low wages, they will NOT unionize and have no real rights.

The evil-brilliant part is that they've managed to present any opposition to it as racism....while suppressing blue collar labor wages which disproportionately hurts minorities.

But wait, they'll fix it by (laughing hysterically) increasing the minimum wage. Oh well, it's easy to fool the uneducated and overly partisan.
Well said.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:07 AM

7,570 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The other thread went POOF, but had some great dialogue. Let's give it another try.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...ian-capitalist

Well, I believe in human dignity and human rights. But... But, when goods and services become too expensive then people will cut back or just forgo that good or service. So, what is the goal? Is the goal to push all actors into the most important goods and services that people will not forgo? The whole thing is a self-correcting feedback loop. It might be some thought process we are not in on (like the government has determined people will be healthier if the only option is grocery stores and not fast food or fast food disguised (restaurants). Where I live fast food (including restaurants) jumped absurdly high and it made it easy to just stop buying it. There will be less jobs and less businesses in certain areas (is that a bad thing -- the business owners and the employees can find something better to do with their life). I was shocked when I met a few people (smart enough to be an engineer -- extremely smart) that choose to stay in massage therapy or Uber driver because they recognize the brutality that stress is on a person. Our generation I never met anyone that even thought that way (we were just driven to do the best/most we could).

Old 05-11-2021, 12:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
That dumb skank helped get the business she worked for closed. AOC pushed for the minimum wage hike.

The Coffee Shop, in operation for 28 years, closed its doors.

"The Coffee Shop co-owner Charles Milite revealed to the New York Post in July his shop was ceasing operations, forcing him to lay off his entire staff of 150, due to state-mandated minimum wage increases and skyrocketing rent prices.

"The times have changed in our industry. The rents are very high and now the minimum wage is going up and we have a huge number of employees," he told the Post."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies