Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 08:22 AM

19,453 posts, read 9,004,425 times

Advertisements

One more reason why the good old days of 50-60 years ago were better in one more way. (NOT saying they were better in ALL ways, of course!) Schools had standards that included the astounding idea that kids actually had to attend class and master the material or they were held back ONE year. I attended public high school, and I think I remember the maximum number of absences allowed before an "Incomplete" without a doctor's excuse or some extraordinary reason (such as a long-distance move or a death of a parent) was three days per semester.

Seriously, why do education administrators think they are doing ANYONE any favors by lowering standards?

This is absolutely disgraceful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 AM

4,482 posts, read 5,309,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's exactly what happened. Many public schools have a "no fail" policy, so a kid like this could skate by on all Ds (grades of F, Fail, aren't allowed), graduate, and get a completely meaningless high school diploma.

That's the outcome of the racist bigotry of low expectations.
Sad but true. Kids like this boy are essentially if not nearly literally illiterate, and they have no skills to bring into even a blue-collar type of job field. They wouldn't last more than a few days at any job, if at that.

This is a point that I've tried to make here on C-D during 2021: the degradation of standards in the name of racial equality (abolishing examinations for gifted/talented programs in public schools because there are too many students who are Asian and white) harms everybody and helps nobody.

Leftists who defend such practices are blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She thought everything was fine because the school kept promoting him to successively higher level classes each year. From Algebra I to Algebra II, from Spanish I to Spanish II, etc. But in reality, he had failed all but 3 of the classes he'd taken over the past 3.5 years. The school definitely screwed up.
Baltimore schools are notorious for this kind of corruption; in 2019, an investigation showed kids who missed more than 100 days of school were still allowed to advance and even to graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s not always the schools fault, some of you have never been to a public school full of minorities and it shows. Class disruptions by students who don’t give a damn (who have parents who don’t give a damn) happens every single day.

The only solution is getting them into private school. If you can’t, then move to a different school district.
I remember going to a middle school in a large city. In classes where it was "regular" kids: Asians, Hispanics, Jews, and non-Jew whites, things were normal and I learned. But in classes where it was mostly boys of a certain ethnicity, it was literally mayhem: physical violence, bullying, and disruptions from start to finish. Things got much better after my family moved to a suburb where students like those loudmouths and fighters did not exist. In that town today, that demographic is still nearly non-existent, and that town's school districts are no less highly coveted than they were then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That's the Democratic platform in a nutshell: blame everyone but yourself

You don't get decades of social regression by holding yourself accountable, you do it by blaming someone else.

Let me guess, she mentioned something about the "legacy of slavery" that inhibits her from being a good parent. I wonder what prosperous African immigrants think about this culture of self-victimization.
In the 1920 and in the 1930s, black unemployment rates were as low as and at times lower than the white unemployment rate, and from 1900 progressively until 1960, black poverty rates went down gradually. This happened during a time that lynchings, Jim Crow, and other forms of discrimination still existed (and it was wrong they existed).

When the Civil Right Movement hit and LBJ's Great Society program went into effect, this upward curve of progress within black America reversed, and the frequency of black babies being born to unwed mothers skyrocketed.

If these problems are the legacy of slavery, why did this legacy lay dormant from 1865 to 1960?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In MD state testing not a SINGLE student from "inner city" schools passed the math proficiency test, AGAIN!
Charles Murray wrote in his book "The Bell Curve" that this underclass will only be a burden upon society because it needs custodians. It's frightening: here we are in the United States, for long the world's top economy, the country with the mightiest military and a place where millions the world over want to come live - and there is this (apparently) perennial underclass which achieves so little and has so few prospects. What is to be done with them if money poured into its schools doesn't fix the problem? Affirmative action only harms white and Asian kids who are qualified. Despite decades of effort, black and Hispanic kids continue to perform at lower levels than white and Asian kids, whether in school or in exams.

And all the liberals, progressives, leftists who demand affirmative action, quotas, and who support the termination of specialized programs for talented/gifted kids because most kids in these programs are white and Asian: when will you move to areas like Baltimore and enroll YOUR kids in schools like the one this kid got a 0.13 GPA in? Why do you live in nice suburbs whose schools don't need programs for the gifted because they are already endowed with honor classes and AP classes and which are overall already very high-quality schools? Why do you demand the elimination of programs for talented kids and the elimination of admissions exams for specialized (for gifted/talented) high schools as is the case in NYC (where leftists efforts to terminate the SHSAT thankfully failed, after many Asian immigrant parents angrily protested)?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:19 AM

37,566 posts, read 21,776,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to his mom, it's all the school's fault.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...s-with-013-gpa
Seems like the teachers don't care. The mother should clearly have been more involved. If teachers refused to contact the mother, she should have made it a priority to engage with the school. The failures of Baltimore schools is systemic

As we dig deeper into her son’s records, we can see in his first three years at Augusta Fells, he failed 22 classes and was late or absent 272 days. But in those three years, only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened. No one from the school told France her son was failing and not going to class.

Baltimore's failing schools are a tragedy of criminal proportions - Sept 2017

According to Project Baltimore investigative journalist Chris Papst, reading proficiency rates among Baltimore High School graduates hover at around 11 percent, and math proficiency rates hover around 12 percent. This is in a school system that graduates roughly 70 percent of its students each year. There is clearly a major disconnection between the high graduation rate and the extremely dismal academic proficiency rate.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Dr Carson is at the top of the "Talented Tenth" group, and is certainly an exception. This kid's mom could have nagged him and dragged him to school every day but the outcome would be about the same.
With bullying and gangs in schools, I might understand why a kid might seek to skip school, if every day at school was filled with violence and bullying.

For all we know, the kid skipped school because to attend school was a living hell, and the school refused to make the school a safe place, where the children were kept safe.

My oldest son was always a good student. But after the military moved us to California, his grades slid and he even came home early a couple times. Turned out, he was being attacked by gang members, because my son is mixed race, the gang thought he looked like he should be forced to join them. We moved and my son changed schools, and that hell on earth for him disappeared.

The schools on military bases are safe places, unlike the chaos in many public schools.

My younger son was going to a public school. I usually asked him what he learned in school that day. One day he said he was taught the different states in the US. As I often did, I asked a question he should be able to answer. Partly to see what he learned, and partly as a way to allow him to feel good by showing me what he learned. I asked him "so, how many states are there?" He said "I don't know." I asked why not. He answered: "My teacher said she couldn't remember if there were 49 or 50 states." My response was to ask the teacher if she ever watched the old TV show called "Hawaii Five-O." We moved onto the base, and that grade school was rated as #2 in the entire state. Thank god.

The point is, some schools are so bad, that the children do not feel safe, and even when they are safe, the teachers are horrible.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 AM

2,030 posts, read 4,525,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
What kind of classes was he in? I'll figure out what kind of students was he with. Which explains the 0.13 G.P.A. That means the classes was for dumb students. Only fitting that he received the grade point average. He was the same as his peers. That is passing according to some. Is this satisfactory?
He was ranked 62nd in his class of 120 (the top half of his class). There are other students in this school that have GPAs worse than his. I can't imagine that this particular school has very many AP classes.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:50 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,080,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
If you read the article, it is actually a fair point they're making to assume that if you go from Algebra I to Algebra II, that well, you probably aren't failing. This seems more a case of a school system that messed up, as opposed to solely individual responsibility issues.

it would be helpful if folks read articles before regurgitating their ingrained talking points, wouldn't it?

There's plenty of blame to go around. Imagine that at his school, HALF the students are even worse than him. Where was the scrutiny of the school?

Quote:
The administrator told FOX45 News, City Schools failed because it has protocols and interventions set up to help students who are falling behind or have low attendance. In France’s son’s case, they didn’t happen.
if it didn't happen for him - how many of those below him, and how many in front of him but also with < a 2.0 ALSO didn't get this intervention?

He missed/was late 272 days. So that, and his lack of seeking help, is his responsibility.

The school system robocalls the "parent" # on file (I know, because they do this in my system). There's his mom's.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:57 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,080,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
both his mom and the school district are at fault here. They didn't do their jobs. This poor kid is screwed for life I can't help think its only a matter of time before he ends up in a jail cell or dead. Another human life wasted because well why? We didn't want to enforce curriculum and discipline for his entire time in school because of fears of racism, hurting the kids ego or just simple laziness on the part of the school system?

Perhaps no one just wants to take responsibility anymore for anything. i.e. not my responsibility to raise MY kid properly, not my responsibility to do MY job and teach him etc...
I do know one thing - we've got to unfold this problem, and quick. Even in my quality and diverse school system, they are promoting kids through elementary school who cannot do the work.

There is absolutely a significant segment of parents of ALL means who believe it's the school's job to do the bulk of parenting. And there are absolutely folks AT LEAST in administration that are concerned with numbers, not results.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:58 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,609,854 times
Dr. Seuss is oppressing Baltimore youth

They didn't ban enough of the titles

Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 AM

31,343 posts, read 14,082,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to his mom, it's all the school's fault.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...s-with-013-gpa
0.13 still beat Blutarski's 0.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKS0GVvoE9I

Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
He was ranked 62nd in his class of 120 (the top half of his class). There are other students in this school that have GPAs worse than his. I can't imagine that this particular school has very many AP classes.
I can only assume that the school is a hostile place to be, which is why half the students either skip school or are completely unable to learn anything. I am going to blame the school first, unless convinced otherwise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies