Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times

Advertisements

In a hundred years, at this rate, this nation will be more deplorable than Puerto Rico.

I guess that is the whole point though, in the globalists' and elitists' minds.

Completely pathetic, this nation has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
A long read but worth it.

https://www.amren.com/ar/pdfs/2009/200907ar.pdf

https://www.amren.com/features/2020/...her-tells-all/

Welcome to the real Blackboard Jungle no discipline and no consequences.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 PM

264 posts, read 100,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
It has everything to do with affirmative action. This was supposedly a good school and this kid clearly didn't belong. I wonder why he was there? Why were parents never involved, why didn't the teachers take notice and spend extra time with the kid?
What exactly is the definition of "affirmative action?" What is the intent of affirmative action?

Frankly, Affirmative Action had the right intent but over time, other demographics have taken advantage of it.

Or, maybe most people have the thought that it is okay for certain demographics to take advantage of it but for others, it should not be used? In essence, a zero sum game whereby as long as a "preferred demographic" is benefiting, then everything is okay.

But, if a "non-preferred demographic" receives a job or admittance into a school, then this means that a "preferred demographic" did not get the job or admittance into the school and that the "non-preferred demographic" is not qualified. Right?

This particular situation is not unique.

Many many students are failing in the public school system.

For many, if not most, of these students, the parent(s) may not value education and/or the economic situation is quite dire and/or there may be violence/crime concerns in the neighborhood that create challenges for the students. In these instances, intercession is needed by concerned visionary individuals to break the cycle to at least provide hope and inspiration where there is none.

Different levels of intercession/intervention is needed to provide a safety net for the child before they delve into easy money on the streets, joining a gang and/or committing crimes and creating collateral damage that impacts families external to the child's family.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:48 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Baltimore City mayor just said yesterday that the problem is underfunded schools and he is demanding the governor allocate more money to the city for schools.
Democrats don’t understand that the difference between a good school and a bad school isn’t money. Plenty of rich new taxpayer funded schools provide substandard education and plenty of broke schools provide excellent education.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What parents have the money for those fines? And if you jail them who "takes care" of the remaining children? Maybe forced sterilization of both mothers and fathers of some number of children who are effectively abandoned. I don't know.

It is called personal responsibility!

Either pay the fine or spend a few nights in jail.

Implementing costs at the front end so society do not pay increased costs on the back end!

Forced sterilizations for parents who are not good parents?

What is considered a bad parent?

Is a parent who do not value education equivalent to a parent who is racist and teaches their children to be racist? Which of these parents would be subject to forced sterilization?

Old 03-06-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Baltimore City mayor just said yesterday that the problem is underfunded schools and he is demanding the governor allocate more money to the city for schools. What an idiot! I mentioned in an earlier post that Baltimore City is the 5th highest in the nation in funding per student. Throwing money at the schools has not done anything for them.
Still, the best solution appears to be a multi-faceted approach that includes;

increase in the construction of dispersed affordable housing to break up the "critical mass" of poverty in the inner cities,

universal pre-K, Head Start for ages 4 to 6

re-introduction of vocational curriculum/training in schools for jobs such as plumbing, carpentry, auto mechanics, etc.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Unfortunately, liberals and democrats have sold the "victim" tale in order to keep their constituents perpetually dependent and thus permanent democrats.

They are unwilling to state the real reasons for inner city educational failures:

1. single parent families
2. parents who do not care about education
3. black culture which celebrates violence, but ignores education
4. drugs

Those school districts are flooded with money. However, no amount of money will ever make the students successful, as there is no culture, parental support, and individual effort which is required for success.

One hundred years from now black America will be in the very same spot they are in currently, as they refuse to correctly identify the problem and set about changing things. As long as they play the role of the victim and blame others for their problems, they are doomed to perpetual failure.

Our cities in the US are slowly progressing to third world nations and prisons without walls.
Not correct - Black culture do not celebrate violence nor does it ignore education!

In fact, it is the exact opposite.

Black culture values education quite highly and has the mantra of "we have to be twice as good to receive half as much!"

Note, there is a narrative that is promoted quite a lot that attributes lack of intelligence and laziness to Black people. No doubt, this intensified during Jim Crow as Blacks were newly freed from slavery.

It is a sub-culture!

A sub-culture that exists among multiple racial demographics.

Many within this Black sub-culture has become de-sensitized and hardened as a result of past discrimination, racism, ongoing continued racism, inter-generational poverty and inter-generational bad parenting!

Old 03-06-2021, 10:37 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
The reason he went from Algebra I to Algebra II can be summed up in four words, "No Child Left Behind". I taught Algebra I in the Las Vegas area and we were literally not allowed to not let the kid move on to the next math level (in our case Geometry). Sometimes if we had enough teaching hours available we would do a remedial Algebra I but it was mostly used to get Seniors their credits so they could graduate. That meant they would have to go through Geometry and Algebra II before they had a chance to retake Algebra I.

On the other hand, the school I taught at has a minimum F policy (before you yell at me, I thought and still believe that this is the dumbest thing ever created for the classroom) where no matter what they actually scored on a quiz or test, they would get a minimum of 50% on it. We also were told to do a completion grade on all homework assignments, so if they tried and even if they got all the answers wrong, they still got full credit. So if they showed up everyday, turned in all of their homework and took all the quizzes and tests they would be guaranteed to pass with a 67.5% D. And I still had classes with more than 75% of them failing, my last week of each quarter was usually me spending the entire day calling kids up to work on assignments so that they could get a passing grade and I still had multiple kids per class with a final grade of less then 10%. I finally had enough and just quit, the stress was simply killing me (literally, my doctor told me that if I didn't stop teaching I would probably die of a heart attack).
Wow, a 67.5% is a D? That would be a failing grade at our schools.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I missed a lot of school when I was a child because I was sick so much. I still tended to be on the honor roll, except for the one grading period where I was denied the ability to make up the work I missed. My mother didn't fight for me. She could have had she cared enough. I fought it as much as I could. I would have been on the honor roll that grading period too had I been allowed to do the work. I did all of the homework assignments, but the tests for those weeks were most of the grade. The teacher refused to let me make up the tests. I was out for several weeks. I almost died.

Some people don't even try or care about getting an education. This kid and his mother are two such people.
Did you miss the equivalent of an entire year of high school in student absences? That doesn’t seem possible anywhere else that I’ve ever heard of.

There is no way a parent would not be taken to court and fined if their student missed that much school here. And despite complaints about it being unfair to poor people I fully support this policy. They can spread the fine out over time to make it more manageable, but there must be some accountability for parents. Otherwise you end up with students missing school too much to even learn.

If they were truly sickly like you said they would be required to have doctor care and possibly do the online curriculum. That was pre-Covid. I’d assume everyone with chronic illness would have to do virtual learning today now that they’re set up for it.

They’re going to take advantage of that virtual learning a lot now. Before our ice storm a couple of weeks ago it was predicted to be a couple of days (ha!) so they announced that the kids would have asynchronous learning Monday and Tuesday.

We were joking at work that Friday that the kids would never get another bad weather day off because of the virtual learning set up now. Boy were we wrong.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:59 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times
The parent is no bueno
The kid is a lazy dummy going to be a hobo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies