Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 11:17 AM

37,707 posts, read 21,832,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
As if that is what your post was about.

Tell us, specifically, what the republicans didn't want to vote for other than legalized pot?

I see, so I'm supposed to educate you, meanwhile you are the one going around bashing people for not blindly voting for the bill.

Well, at least you asked, so that's a start. As I pointed out above, I am having a very difficult time trying to find those answers, because all the press is essentially pro-pot legalization, and that's where it ends. It's typical in topics like this, the folks who side with the dems never bother to hear out what the opposition say. It's always the same old partisan and immature response, "they voted 'no' which makes them meanies." Most of the politicians in favor of legalization are just greedy, because they see dollar signs, and that is more important than consumer safety. So I have to start out distrusting these greedy politicians, and their corporate bakers.

Since I am having trouble finding any internet media source that will cover both sides of the issue, this is all i can find:

Wise County Commonwealth’s Attorney Chuck Slemp told News Channel 11’s Bianca Marais that the proposed legislation will need to address law enforcement better.

“I wish that those that are passing this through won’t rush to pass it and leave out all the unintended consequences,” he said.

Slemp said legalization was not the issue, but he rather had concerns with the legislation.“I think a lot of us want to see a system put in place where there there is regulation for, for consumption, we know that legalization is coming. So, and that’s part of my calculus of supporting this is that we know it’s coming. So I want to put in place these public safety protections to make sure that those who are consuming marijuana will do so safely and the rest of us who are driving down the road, aren’t harmed, and that our children. Don’t think that it’s okay to go out there and do drugs,” he explained.

He is saying what I have been saying, will there be sufficient regulatory safety observed, or is all pot equal, and who cares what dosage people may be unwittingly buying?

No one else seems willing to bother listening to the other side to see what their legitimate concerns are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 11:18 AM

37,941 posts, read 17,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
The Virginia Legislature approved adult-use marijuana legalization Saturday in a historic vote marking the first state in the Old South to embrace full legalization.

The House passed the measure in a 48-43 vote, and the Senate approved it in a 20-19 vote. Not a single Republican voted for the bill in either chamber.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-...202122910.html
Reasons matter.

The repubs didn't vote for it because once again the Jim Crow left is rewarding based on race.

"The bill contains robust social equity provisions, including prioritizing business licenses for individuals deemed to have been disproportionately impacted by criminal enforcement, which dissuaded some otherwise supportive Republicans from voting for the bill."

“Initially, I was supportive of the approach that is encompassed in this bill,” said GOP Senate Minority Leader Thomas Norment during floor debate. Norment pointed to his advocacy of the marijuana decriminalization bill that passed last year.

“I just don't accept this social equity set aside on the issuance of licenses. We don't do it for alcohol, we don't do it for other matters,” he said.

Reparations, by the ones who caused the race problems, in order to buy votes.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Banning the sale but legalizing the use supports the cartels more than banning both.
Decriminalizing possession AND enabling sales seems to work best.

Cannabis tax revenues tend to equal or exceed alcohol tax revenues, over time. It’s been a godsend for local governments that lost sale tax revenues due to Covid restrictions.

Having said this, there will alway be a black market selling inferior product for less.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:26 AM

7,593 posts, read 3,257,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
... and more people who will be on welfare because they are unable to pass a drug test for work.
Frankly if the employee testing issue can be addressed it will largely be a moot point. Many companies test because it is a requirement for bidding on federal projects. Drop that requirement and states can handle the issue of legalizing or decriminalizing it on their own.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anytime the legalization of anything becomes an issue, you must think: Who are going to be the losers, and who will be the winners?

Losers?

Alcohol industry
Big Pharma
Prison/Jail Guards
Defense Attorney's
How does big pharma factor into this? People self medicating instead of pharmaceuticals?

People have been self medicating with alcohol since forever.

Think the alcohol industry is well positioned to get into cannabis production in a big way, once legal barriers are eliminated.

Agree the industrial prison complex likely to be the big loser.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
It is a drug consumed by smoking. More traffic deaths, more cancer.
Edible cannabis products are outselling smokable products in many areas with legal dispensaries. As I understand it, the edible product provides more bang for the buck.

Nothing has linked edible products with increased cancer risks.

People drink and drive and sometimes cause accidents, some of which are fatal. Consequences vary state to state and within state.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:43 AM

37,941 posts, read 17,740,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Decriminalizing possession AND enabling sales seems to work best.

Cannabis tax revenues tend to equal or exceed alcohol tax revenues, over time. It’s been a godsend for local governments that lost sale tax revenues due to Covid restrictions.

Having said this, there will always be a black market selling inferior product for less.
There will be a black market which gives people options. And yes it will be for less since there are no taxes.

But what proof do you have that it will be inferior? Overall? I can see that. The black market does lack the customer service one usually finds in a government deemed legal business. Although that improve with competition.

Are the oranges sold on the side of the road inferior?

I'd rather have the black market. I never understood why weed is taxed when it is used for medical reasons. Do any states not tax those using it for medical reasons vs rec users?

Old 03-04-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
... and more people who will be on welfare because they are unable to pass a drug test for work.
Not being able to pass a drug test is personal choice.

What substances are tested for is also a choice.

Such testing routinely excludes alcohol. Why would cannabis not be excluded, if legal?

Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 AM

962 posts, read 535,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Agreed. Even in states where marijuana is legalized, it's not regulated very well. I've read a lot of stories and heard first hand accounts of people who bought legalized marijuana, and because the product is not very well regulated at all, they suffered bad reactions, or were unexpectedly stoned for hours.

How to survive an edible marijuana overdose

Despite some popular perceptions, marijuana is not a risk-free drug. Edibles in particular pose a threat to novice users because they deliver larger doses of THC than inhaling, and, once ingested, the user has little choice but to ride it out.

Sure, you can ride it out, but what if you were in your car, or you alone at the time, or in unfamiliar surroundings? It's very difficult to label marijuana so that a person knows what to expect. You can drink one beer, but at least you will not unexpectedly find you are drunk off your ass for the next eight hours. Also, because some highs can last for hours, will we have sufficient laws and regulations to determine what is, and what is not impaired driving? Will consumers even be able to determine if they are able to legally drive?

It's difficult to even find articles that discuss this, because 99% of every article is written by people who just want to legalize pot, and that's where it ends. there is absolutely no thought as to how to properly, and safely regulate it so people know what to expect when they make a purchase.
Your scare tactics come off as desperate. As the article describes, taking too many edibles (I'd hesitate calling it "overdose") is not in the same ballpark as taking too much alcohol. When you drink too much, you die. When you ingest too much THC, you get dizzy, potentially neurotic, and then you take a long nap. You immediately pose the extreme question "what if someone takes too many edibles and drives?" This is a misleading argument, because taking too much alcohol, ambien, benzos, whatever, all results in societal risks if said individual gets behind the wheel. The calculus doesn't change with THC. So do we ban all those other things?

You are also wildly exaggerating the dose inconsistencies with edibles. You aren't going to eat a 10mg gummy and get accidentally hit with 50mg. It's just not possible. What is FAR more likely with edibles, is that a novice takes a 10mg gummy, feels nothing after a half hour, thinks its a dud and takes another.

I will grant you that it will become difficult to prove intoxication with THC on a DWI. THC stays in the system for a very long time, and doses can have dramatically different effects on people. A regular user might not even feel anything on 10mg of THC. A first-timer might be sent to the moon. There are many reasons why edibles hit differently.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I find myself siding with Republicans more in the last few years than I have in the past, but their continued opposition to marijuana legalization baffles me.
Some of the states that have legalized recreational cannabis are red states or trended purple in the 2020 national election including Alaska, Arizona, Montana and South Dakota.

5-6 states have not legalized medical marijuana. Some that have, limited to oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies