Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 12:50 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts in religious diverse districts should do their best to recognize all major religious holidays or none at all. Another idea is to give students 2 religious holidays and allow parents to choose which holidays their child will have off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...20c_story.html
Let's just have Woke Day as a holiday, and cancel all the others. Then when 90% of the schools children call in sick on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, and Thanksgiving and Easter, the woke-stupid will understand why those days became days in which the schools decided to close, in the first place.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:02 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I specifically go on Sunday. But some folks have specific meetings on Christmas and will go to church the day off. My point is that more Christians see it as a religious day than not, hence why only a few non-Christian countries celebrate Christmas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obse...mas_by_country

Japan is the only one not on this list that has a large Christmas celebration but they don’t even recognize it as a holiday. Christmas is strongly entertained with religion, to pretend it’s not would be untrue. Also Japan probably has the most secular Christmas celebration out fo these countries. As you can see only Buddhist and Islamic countries don’t have it on as a public holiday. All the countries with somewhat of a Christian tradition do, even some Islamic ones where Christians are minorities have it.
Maybe, not in my experience. I grew up Southern Baptist. I never knew anyone who went to church on Christmas eve or Christmas day. Many Christians celebrate on Jan.7 which they believe is the actual birth of Christ. The majority celebrate the secular Christmas, then have a Christmas theme service on Sunday. My church recently began a Christmas eve candlelight service.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:02 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Let's just have Woke Day as a holiday, and cancel all the others. Then when 90% of the schools children call in sick on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, and Thanksgiving and Easter, the woke-stupid will understand why those days became days in which the schools decided to close, in the first place.
That’s the issue she is talking about. A bunch of kids being absent on their religious holidays at heavily Jewish and Muslim schools.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:12 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe, not in my experience. I grew up Southern Baptist. I never knew anyone who went to church on Christmas eve or Christmas day. Many Christians celebrate on Jan.7 which they believe is the actual birth of Christ. The majority celebrate the secular Christmas, then have a Christmas theme service on Sunday. My church recently began a Christmas eve candlelight service.
I grew up partially in a highly religious country so Christmas there is and in much of Christian Africa is as much about Jesus as it is about Santa Claus. But even in America, my region of Texas all the churches would see massive influx of folks on/around Christmas and Easter. Also I forgot which denomination (it may be Catholic but think it’s something else), people would also have Nativity plays and a service on Christmas later in the day.
Like I said only 37% of Christians live in Europe and America and those places have the most irreligious Christmas celebrations. But a healthy minority their and a majority of other Christians link it to Jesus.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:20 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
That’s the issue she is talking about. A bunch of kids being absent on their religious holidays at heavily Jewish and Muslim schools.
If a sufficient number of children are taking those days off, then make those particular days a school holidays as well. All within reason of course. I'm not talking about shutting the schools down five hours each school week for prayers, and such. It's not rocket science

Old 03-11-2021, 01:44 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts in religious diverse districts should do their best to recognize all major religious holidays or none at all. Another idea is to give students 2 religious holidays and allow parents to choose which holidays their child will have off.
In NYC they just added the Chinese New Year as a (one day?) school holiday. The Jewish New Year and Jewish Day of Atonement plus some major Muslim holidays are already part of the NYC school year holiday calendar.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:03 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I grew up partially in a highly religious country so Christmas there is and in much of Christian Africa is as much about Jesus as it is about Santa Claus. But even in America, my region of Texas all the churches would see massive influx of folks on/around Christmas and Easter. Also I forgot which denomination (it may be Catholic but think it’s something else), people would also have Nativity plays and a service on Christmas later in the day.
Like I said only 37% of Christians live in Europe and America and those places have the most irreligious Christmas celebrations. But a healthy minority their and a majority of other Christians link it to Jesus.
I believe we are discussing the US. I have no idea how many Africans spend christmas eve and christmas day in church. I know here yes there is an influx of worshiper on Christmas and Easter, SUNDAY. For many those are the only days they go to church. They are Chreasters.

That is irrelevant though, Christmas falls during winter break. Get rid of winter break, give each religion 2 days for religious holiday. Same for spring break.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:59 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Easier said than done...

Christmas is on December 25th, always!

The eight days of Hanukkah can start as early as Thanks Giving and may end as late as New Years Eve.

Easter can fall anywhere between April 1st and April 28th, as long as it's a Sunday.

Likewise, Passover can fall pretty much anywhere in the month of April.

Easter will be the same week as Passover.

Ramadan may or may not coincide with any Jewish or Christian holidays and may or may not take place within the traditional school year.

1. Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon that falls on or after March 21, the spring equinox. It is not always in April. In 2008, 2013, and in 2018 it was in March. It will be in March in 2024 and in 2027.

2. Passover occurred in March in 2010, 2013, and 2018. It will be celebrated at sundown March 27th this year.

3. Easter is not always the same week as Passover. Passover is determined by the Jewish calendar which is a lunar cycle.

4. Western Christians and Eastern Christians don't celebrate Easter on the same date.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
My question is.....

When will the left stop polarizing on these secondary and tertiary level causes, ones that really can't be solved by any government, and focus on things that are actually important?

Why the heightened sensitivity? Again, there's more important things to worry about then making EVERYBODY happy!
The majority ARE already happy because their sensibilities have been catered to for centuries. So much so that they can't even attempt to understand how others might be tired of getting their interests and concerns trampled on.

These days I agree that most school "holidays" aren't truly about celebrating anything but are more about taking into account expected absences and keeping as many funding dollars as possible. And that other than Christmas and possibly Easter (IF it happens to fall during Spring Break - which is actually not that common) there aren't any Christian holidays "recognized" with days off. Certainly in my small midwestern town in the '70's there were no other holidays even considered because there were literally no minority religions other than non-believers who knew to keep their mouths shut!

Fewer and fewer people actually practice any religion though they may give lip service - they are the worst hypocrites. I think there should just be no mention or recognition of religion in any secular part of society. People will celebrate as they wish and hopefully others will at least recognize their right to do so without condemning them - but no special measures given to "aid and abet" religion either. Religion should rise or fall based on its own merits (or lack thereof).

Old 03-14-2021, 12:50 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No, they do not celebrate "Jan 7" as the birth of Christ, they are going by the old calendar, the Julian one. It is still Dec 25 in the old calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies