Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 AM

35,975 posts, read 30,519,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
A religious holiday being celebrated by religious and atheist individuals doesn’t make it secular. Many people enjoy festivities of all kinds. Take Holi/Phagwa for example...it’s definitely religious but you can find people of other religions or nonreligious people celebrating it.

If you didn’t read the article and don’t care then not sure what the issue is.

You don’t think most people of any religion use their religious holiday to celebrate religion? Have you celebrated Eid with Muslims before? Diwali with Hindus? Etc.
I believe it does make it secular (denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis).
Christmas: Santa, reindeer, snowmen, presents, Christmas trees. Secular
Easter: Rabbits, coloring hiding eggs, baskets of candy.

Who the heck has heard of Holi/Phagwa here in the US. Its basically Easter. Sounds secular to me.
Christmas is a designated federal holiday. Its basis is not of the Christian religion or the birth of Christ. It became a federal holiday to unite the country after the civil war.

Do you think people spend Christmas in Church praising the birth of their savior.
You realize we are discussing the US and its Christian holidays right.
I have no idea how Muslims or Hindus in the US celebrate their religious holidays. Are you suggesting US schools recognize every religious holiday of every religion because those religious are actually spent in religious rituals.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:57 AM

35,975 posts, read 30,519,841 times
[quote=ElijahAstin;60569197
I think you got this one backwards.

[/QUOTE]

What is backwards.
That the majority of people consider Christmas secular?

Old 03-10-2021, 08:09 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,923,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is backwards.
That the majority of people consider Christmas secular?
Many people attach no religious meaning to Christmas, but it’s still a religious holiday.

But it’s ultimately a distinction without a difference. The issue is (or at least should be): will enough students and/or teachers take off for this holiday that it will disrupt the school day? If so, school should be closed. It’s plain logistics. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, when there isn’t a critical mass to justify a school closing, educators should still be flexible and accommodating to individual students’ absences.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:21 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,008,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
School districts in religious diverse districts should do their best to recognize all major religious holidays or none at all. Another idea is to give students 2 religious holidays and allow parents to choose which holidays their child will have off.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...20c_story.html
Mudlims and jews want minority rights everywhere only to deny it to the mi orities in thier own country.

I dont know how far they want the christians/ameeicans to bend further and accomodate thier preferences.

Do asians and indians demand any such thing? No.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Mudlims and jews want minority rights everywhere only to deny it to the mi orities in thier own country.

I dont know how far they want the christians/ameeicans to bend further and accomodate thier preferences.

Do asians and indians demand any such thing? No.
Those pesky Mudlims and pushy jews. They should take their space lasers and go back to the planet they came from. Poor christians! Long-suffering ameeicans!

Did you know: many indians (and even some asians) are Mudlim? There are even some indian jews.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:36 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,691,934 times
I have no dog in this fight, but it's interesting to me. I thought I should point out that:

1) Schools don't close "for Easter." Easter is always on a Sunday and schools are not open on the weekends.

2) Yes, They close for winter break, but Christmas is, by far, not the only holiday in that time frame. There is a reason they call it the "holiday season." Christmas is also a federal holiday as someone pointed out. Although it's true that the break was originally centered on Christmas. But like summer break originally being centered on farming, it's not really the reason anymore. It's just tradition at this point.

I took a look at the article and the comments. It would appear that the majority of students aren't even religious. Only 46% of the county affiliates itself with religion. Here is the breakdown:

- 3.5% are Baptist
- 1.7% are Episcopalian
- 18.0% are Catholic
- 1.6% are Lutheran
- 5.1% are Methodist
- 0.7% are Pentecostal
- 2.0% are Presbyterian
- 1.6% are Church of Jesus Christ
- 5.0% are another Christian faith
- 0.5% are Judaism
- 1.6% are an eastern faith
- 4.8% affiliates with Islam

As others said, the main reason for schools closing for everyone is because there would be too many absences. It doesn't look like this would be an issue for this school district with Muslim or Jewish students. And They lump Hindu, Buddhist, and other "eastern" religions into one bucket. The largest religion in the area, at 18% is Catholic and I know for a fact as a former Catholic that schools aren't closed for holy days of obligation (or even holidays like Ash Wednesday which isn't an obligated day, but important to many Catholics).

This is easily solved by just letting kids and parents have two or three "floating holidays" that they can take off whenever they want for whatever they want (religious holidays, family vacations, go downtown to protest something, participate in Arbor Day, mental health days, reward "day off" for a kid doing well in school, whatever) so long as the parents are the ones requesting and they give advance notice to the schools and teachers.

Adding days off for all on the calendar creates problems. 1) it makes the school year longer. 2) For parents with small kids, it creates child care issues if they aren't off work. 3) If students are struggling in school, it disrupts education for them.

Floating holidays allows parents to personalize these days off based on their family needs (religious or not) and their individual student's needs.

Last edited by Yac; 03-17-2021 at 01:03 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I have no dog in this fight, but it's interesting to me. I thought I should point out that:

1) Schools don't close "for Easter." Easter is always on a Sunday and schools are not open on the weekends.

2) Yes, They close for winter break, but Christmas is, by far, not the only holiday in that time frame. There is a reason they call it the "holiday season." Christmas is also a federal holiday as someone pointed out. Although it's true that the break was originally centered on Christmas. But like summer break originally being centered on farming, it's not really the reason anymore. It's just tradition at this point.

I took a look at the article and the comments. It would appear that the majority of students aren't even religious. Only 46% of the county affiliates itself with religion. Here is the breakdown:

- 3.5% are Baptist
- 1.7% are Episcopalian
- 18.0% are Catholic
- 1.6% are Lutheran
- 5.1% are Methodist
- 0.7% are Pentecostal
- 2.0% are Presbyterian
- 0.5% are Judaism

As others said, the main reason for schools closing for everyone is because there would be too many absences. It doesn't look like this would be an issue for this school district with Muslim or Jewish students. And They lump Hindu, Buddhist, and other "eastern" religions into one bucket. The largest religion in the area, at 18% is Catholic and I know for a fact as a former Catholic that schools aren't closed for holy days of obligation (or even holidays like Ash Wednesday which isn't an obligated day, but important to many Catholics).

This is easily solved by just letting kids and parents have two or three "floating holidays" that they can take off whenever they want for whatever they want (religious holidays, family vacations, go downtown to protest something, participate in Arbor Day, mental health days, reward "day off" for a kid doing well in school, whatever) so long as the parents are the ones requesting and they give advance notice to the schools and teachers.

Adding days off for all on the calendar creates problems. 1) it makes the school year longer. 2) For parents with small kids, it creates child care issues if they aren't off work. 3) If students are struggling in school, it disrupts education for them.

Floating holidays allows parents to personalize these days off based on their family needs (religious or not) and their individual student's needs.
Those bestplaces numbers are wildly off, by the way. While it’s not the most Jewish part of the greater DC area, Fairfax County is far more than 0.5% Jewish. It may be ten times as Jewish at this point.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:59 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,893,366 times
I just want to know how many kids are complaining about not having to go to school because of a religious holiday?

If you move to a Muslim or Jewish country and complain that their schools were closed for Muslim or Jewish holidays and not Christian or Hindu?

Old 03-10-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Those pesky Mudlims and pushy jews. They should take their space lasers and go back to the planet they came from. Poor christians! Long-suffering ameeicans!

Did you know: many indians (and even some asians) are Mudlim? There are even some indian jews.
Pardon the spelling since i tupe from the phone.

My point is how much ever accomodating americans are, it still wont be enough for some. They are going far enough to use liberal gibberish like happy holidays on the only religuous holiday all year.

If u want take a day off . dont expect to declare it for everyone else. As simple as that. I want to see only if the food is gmo or organic, not kosher or hallal.

Muslims and jews will be the first to cry secularism if public schools mandate a christian prayer.

During ramadan even foreigners visiting middle east abstain from drinking and try to not eat in public due to courtesy

Old 03-10-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post

- 3.5% are Baptist
- 1.7% are Episcopalian
- 18.0% are Catholic
- 1.6% are Lutheran
- 5.1% are Methodist
- 0.7% are Pentecostal
- 2.0% are Presbyterian
- 0.5% are Judaism

Downdown protest day would be awesome and much needed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies