Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 01:33 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

I was quite taken with Amanda Gorman at the inauguration. She really has a way with words to say the least and it's hard to believe she's 22. However the next day I kind of got the sense that she's really all about celebrity status. Then I see her speaking at the Super Bowl, now this. This is kind of a vague story. A security guard told her she looks suspicious, hmm. It sounds like he was in the wrong if she was simply walking home. I'm not sure this could be called a racist encounter. then she felt the need to post about it on social media. She is famous, clearly this guy couldn't tell who she was but with that one post she has probably ruined his life of people find out who he is. There's such an, 'I got you' mentality today with people taken pictures, videos or posting about random questionable encounters they had with strangers.

At the end of the day it seems unprofessional for a security guard to say to anyone, you look suspicious if they are simply walking home. But now he is probably going to lose his job and possibly be under attack while Amanda Gorman rakes in more money just for being her. It just doesn't feel right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Ask some of your black friends to tell you about the times they have been profiled or followed by security. It would be eye opening.

I witnessed it myself with my best friend (may she rest in peace) and my ex boyfriend. They both were pulled over more in an average year than I have been in my whole life, despite driving the same streets and both being more cautious drivers than I am. I witnessed both being followed in stores, especially my ex, when I was not with them. My next door neighbor once banged on my ex's car window to ask him what he was doing there while he waited for me to come down. That never happened to *anyone* else who waited in a car for me or my roommates.

When someone experiences something at a greater rate than other people and the only difference is their race, it's not exactly difficult to follow to the logical conclusion.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:53 PM

Well she doesn't even mention if she's been stopped by security ever before. Just tells about this incident.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 6,018 times
She’s amazing.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:59 PM

357 posts, read 443,331 times
I live in a city where I know Blacks are disproportionately stopped by police and many Blacks feel they are being profiled and singled out. But something that I've been trying to understand for awhile and that no one seems to talk about is that in my city young Black males disproportionately commit the crimes.

My neighborhood has been experiencing a huge increase in crime with car jackings, robberies, and assaults becoming a daily occurrence. It's a predominately white neighborhood but nearly all this crime is being committed by young Black males. As a result, if I'm out walking my dog and and see a car of young Black males drive by and slow down, or a group of young Black males walking toward me, I'm afraid because as a matter of fact the odds of my being a crime victim have just gone up.

The police know this. They get calls all the time from people like me who feel threatened. They are constantly on Zoom meetings with concerned neighborhood groups and are hearing people such as myself complain of the crime and express their fears. Given this, isn't it natural to assume the police will be more aggressive in their monitoring of what they consider to be suspicious young Black males? Aren't they being put in the impossible position of doing their jobs and being fair to all citizens of this city, regardless if they are Black or White themselves?

But my real question is this. Aren't other Blacks in the city, the vast majority who aren't committing the crimes and are victims themselves really angry at the young Black males that are creating this problem for everyone? After all they are are the ones who are being singled out for being Black by the police only by association because other young male Blacks are committing so much crime.

Just trying to understand.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:04 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What are your thoughts on this ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

I was quite taken with Amanda Gorman at the inauguration. She really has a way with words to say the least and it's hard to believe she's 22. However the next day I kind of got the sense that she's really all about celebrity status. Then I see her speaking at the Super Bowl, now this. This is kind of a vague story. A security guard told her she looks suspicious, hmm. It sounds like he was in the wrong if she was simply walking home. I'm not sure this could be called a racist encounter. then she felt the need to post about it on social media. She is famous, clearly this guy couldn't tell who she was but with that one post she has probably ruined his life of people find out who he is. There's such an, 'I got you' mentality today with people taken pictures, videos or posting about random questionable encounters they had with strangers.

At the end of the day it seems unprofessional for a security guard to say to anyone, you look suspicious if they are simply walking home. But now he is probably going to lose his job and possibly be under attack while Amanda Gorman rakes in more money just for being her. It just doesn't feel right.
??? My first question is, is there any proof that the encounter with the security guard actually happened

There is nothing in the link that backs up an encounter she claims happened !!!

There are a lot of smear statements and the usual Moon Bat narrative but that is only proof of the lefts insanity !!! Top it off with noting its from CNN, fake news/non-news central, pushing the usual race bait crap !!!

??? Was the security guard black, many are, but was that the case here
Oh yeah, no mention of the color of the security guard, is there !!!

This has all the earmarks and red flags to meet the definition = complete BS

Plenty of links available to support the ignorance of security guards and they come in all colors just as the do with their targets !!!

Last edited by phma; 03-06-2021 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-06-2021, 03:08 PM

That's true. She could have made the whole thing up. Hopefully that's not the case.

I'm a 42 year old White woman and I can't tell you the number of times I've been pulled over by the cops but it's kind of a lot.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Ask some of your black friends to tell you about the times they have been profiled or followed by security. It would be eye opening.

I witnessed it myself with my best friend (may she rest in peace) and my ex boyfriend. They both were pulled over more in an average year than I have been in my whole life, despite driving the same streets and both being more cautious drivers than I am. I witnessed both being followed in stores, especially my ex, when I was not with them. My next door neighbor once banged on my ex's car window to ask him what he was doing there while he waited for me to come down. That never happened to *anyone* else who waited in a car for me or my roommates.

When someone experiences something at a greater rate than other people and the only difference is their race, it's not exactly difficult to follow to the logical conclusion.

A certain group of people commit the majority of crimes. If people want to stop being profiled then the change must come within. Common sense goes a long way. Try using it sometime.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:12 PM

11,235 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
I live in a city where I know Blacks are disproportionately stopped by police and many Blacks feel they are being profiled and singled out. But something that I've been trying to understand for awhile and that no one seems to talk about is that in my city young Black males disproportionately commit the crimes.
And they will always be singled out as long as crime statistics stay as they are. Statistics do not lie. Statistics are not racist. Statistics tell us about what is happening in our cities, and who is doing things. Law enforcement focuses their resources towards problem areas and demographics defined by crime statistics. Sadly, blacks have created this problem with their own actions, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Not saying it's right to profile people like this, but it's just reality.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:19 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post

My neighborhood has been experiencing a huge increase in crime with car jackings, robberies, and assaults becoming a daily occurrence. It's a predominately white neighborhood but nearly all this crime is being committed by young Black males. As a result, if I'm out walking my dog and and see a car of young Black males drive by and slow down, or a group of young Black males walking toward me, I'm afraid because as a matter of fact the odds of my being a crime victim have just gone up.

The police know this. They get calls all the time from people like me who feel threatened. They are constantly on Zoom meetings with concerned neighborhood groups and are hearing people such as myself complain of the crime and express their fears. Given this, isn't it natural to assume the police will be more aggressive in their monitoring of what they consider to be suspicious young Black males? Aren't they being put in the impossible position of doing their jobs and being fair to all citizens of this city, regardless if they are Black or White themselves?

But my real question is this. Aren't other Blacks in the city, the vast majority who aren't committing the crimes and are victims themselves really angry at the young Black males that are creating this problem for everyone? After all they are are the ones who are being singled out for being Black by the police only by association because other young male Blacks are committing so much crime.

Just trying to understand.

The vast majority of black folks are brainwashed into thinking people commit crimes because of racism. They've been duped by the dems into thinking they don't get to control their own behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies