Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 09:26 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times

Advertisements

I support seceding from the U.S. into the Southern States. I'm a southern Republic, and support seceding due to the reasons Big City Dreamer stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 09:36 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I would live to live in the South as constructed but minus Virginia.
Every single state in the South minus Oklahoma is a purple state and can swing blue at any time. Secession won't do much to reverse this trend, unless a dictatorship is enforced.

Every major city in the South is liberal, Louisiana and Kentucky has Democrat governors, and Florida voted for Obama twice.

The idea of the South being a right wing paradise might have been true in the 80's or maybe even the 90's but not anymore. The South, as a whole, is a purple region.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:50 AM

761 posts, read 316,395 times
Let’s face it — America is well within an ideological war.

75 million voters (and growing) stand in extreme opposition to the ruling party that also happens to control 90% of media/academics/Hollywood/sports, etc.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Every single state in the South minus Oklahoma is a purple state and can swing blue at any time. Secession won't do much to reverse this trend, unless a dictatorship is enforced.

Every major city in the South is liberal, Louisiana and Kentucky has Democrat governors, and Florida voted for Obama twice.

The idea of the South being a right wing paradise might have been true in the 80's or maybe even the 90's but not anymore. The South, as a whole, is a purple region.
Agreed. The difference today is urban/ rural divide as others have indicated. When the civil war started was the overwhelming populace (southern states) in support of the break away from the union (at close to 100%)? I suspect it wouldn’t be close to that today.

I live in GA. It just isn’t a simple solution. Outside of Atlanta (which is largely liberal) is there enough STEM business to continue the growth of a nation that would become the Southern States? Also doesn’t the south get more federal aid than any part of the nation as is?

These are questions I don’t think good ol’ boy Joe Average (southern conservative) is considering.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:02 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Let’s face it — America is well within an ideological war.

75 million voters (and growing) stand in extreme opposition to the ruling party that also happens to control 90% of media/academics/Hollywood/sports, etc.
Yes, etc. Tech, Social Media (part of media) and most of Corporate America also.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:25 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Good luck with that.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:25 AM

761 posts, read 316,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, etc. Tech, Social Media (part of media) and most of Corporate America also.
Yeah, even me a random Joe that occasional comments on political articles was silenced for weeks prior to the election by Facebook.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
over the past 100+ almost every state and/or part of a state has talked about seceding

many many times has New York brought it up about separating NYC or NYC Metro, or just long island from the rest of the state

there will always be some discontent among a state or group of states, that doesn't like what is happening in that state, or at the national level

heck even California has talked about seceding, and/or splitting the state into 3 or 6

the thing is that while almost every state may "talk" about it once in a while, I highly doubt it will ever happen

Old 03-09-2021, 10:37 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Right. Washington and Oregon are divided sharply along an urban/rural divide. I'd be happy with Washington if we could simply excise the I-5 corridor (and possibly Spokane County) like a tumor.
Spokane County went for Trump in 2020. You sure you want to give it up?

Old 03-09-2021, 10:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Dems are wrecking the place and the Reps can only wring their hands in confusion. The problem is many of those career politicians would rather prop up their own jobs than do what is best for America.

We had a President that was rocking the boat and shaking up DC and upsetting those cranky dinosaurs and they went to war against him. Trump was good for America but bad for the do nothing politicians that would rather line their own pockets and fund their pet projects. The latest "covid stimulus bill" is a perfect example of this.

Trump was a chance at something different
but the People were not ready for it and DC fought against it.

He was, the most self-serving, self-aggrandizing, inept POTUS ever. Different isn't necessarily better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies