Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 10:57 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Roughly 5,000 people die each year in the US from choking. That is far more lives lost than kids have died from covid, Their lives could be saved by pulverizing our food. Why ignore them?

It doesn’t matter. They are at risk if they even come near you while you eat your peanuts. Why can’t we give up all peanuts to keep those who are vulnerable safe?

It’s not enough when nearly 40,000 people die in auto fatalities each year. Car crashes are contagious as someone can hit you in your car, or while walking, biking or just standing. Why ignore those deaths when people can just learn to walk.

People still drown. Do their deaths not matter?

phew! That’s a relief.

The impacts of it are. Families falling apart, crime, homelessness, etc. it’s devastating to communities.

We have gene therapy that is emergency authorized of which we don’t know the long term potential impacts and we don’t even know how long it might protect someone. Giving it to kids is nonsensical.
None of your attempts at deflection are relevant. No one ignores the issues you are describing, and they have nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2.

The mRNA vaccines are not gene therapy. They do not alter the genetics of the person receiving the vaccine.

I know you are afraid a COVID-19 vaccine will be added to mandatory school vaccines. Do you really not understand that the more you discourage people from taking the vaccine the more likely that is to happen?

Old 03-26-2021, 11:07 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
None of your attempts at deflection are relevant. No one ignores the issues you are describing, and they have nothing to do with SARS-CoV-2.

The mRNA vaccines are not gene therapy. They do not alter the genetics of the person receiving the vaccine.

I know you are afraid a COVID-19 vaccine will be added to mandatory school vaccines. Do you really not understand that the more you discourage people from taking the vaccine the more likely that is to happen?
Not deflecting. We’re talking about avoidable deaths and the measures people are willing to take to prevent them. I will always be in favor of allowing people to weigh their own risks in regards to health, life and death and make their own choices in that regard. I won’t ever favor pulverizing food laws or banning cars or mandating vaccines.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:08 AM

962 posts, read 540,945 times
Quote:
Is that for sure true for kids who are known to be at greater risk of dying from the flu than covid and who tend to have mild cases?
A sick kid can get his parent/grandparent sick. If a kid gets COVID, he/she will have mild symptoms. If that same kid gets vaccinated (when they can), that kid will never experience said mild symptoms. PLUS, you get the added benefit of taking on extra person out of the population that can infect others.

So again, when you balance all the risks, it is still far riskier not to get vaccinated. It's not just conjecture, the evidence is rock solid at this point.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
A sick kid can get his parent/grandparent sick. If a kid gets COVID, he/she will have mild symptoms. If that same kid gets vaccinated (when they can), that kid will never experience said mild symptoms. PLUS, you get the added benefit of taking on extra person out of the population that can infect others.

So again, when you balance all the risks, it is still far riskier not to get vaccinated. It's not just conjecture, the evidence is rock solid at this point.
Parents and grandparents can get the vaccine. There is no reason for them to rely on their kid or grandkid to protect them once they do that.

I don’t consider mild symptoms for covid to be riskier then the unknowns of this very new vaccine.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
So:

1. The vaccine is dangerous (see these obituaries!), and nobody should believe the data from trials over it's efficacy.
2. Kids shouldn't get the vaccine, because they don't get sick from covid very often.
3. Kids won't spread the virus to their parents and grandparents, because they can get the vaccine.

All three of these arguments don't work well together.

Last edited by lieqiang; 03-26-2021 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So:

1. The vaccine is dangerous (see these obituaries!), and nobody should believe the data from trials over it's efficacy.
2. Kids shouldn't get the vaccine, because they don't get sick from covid very often.
3. Kids won't spread the vaccine to their parents and grandparents, because they can get the vaccine.

All three of these arguments don't work well together.
It's exhausting. But the reason why this person's logic is so inconsistent is because she is wrong. I only hope that people reading will get that.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:37 AM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
You’re right. Clearly she must have died from covid. Vaccines never kill anyone. They are safer than water.
Pretty much all that took the vaccine will be dead in a .. 100 years from now or so. I have to agree the danger is very real, lol.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
It's exhausting. But the reason why this person's logic is so inconsistent is because she is wrong. I only hope that people reading will get that.
I have the poster you are replying to on ignore so I missed that.

Just to be clear, Covid clearly has risks and so does the vaccine. I am essentially saying the same thing as you are, weigh the risks, but I am not telling people what to do. I think anyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one. I think anyone who does not want a vaccine should not be coerced into getting one. Kids are low risk. That is a fact. I would never expect kids to get vaccines to protect adults. If adults are worried and feel that the vaccine is the best choice, they can protect themselves with one, not force kids to get it, If adults are worried but don’t want the vaccine, that is the risk they choose. I doubt they would expect kids to get the vaccine for them.

There really isn’t anything illogical here. I think you guys just want me to shut up.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I have the poster you are replying to on ignore so I missed that.

Just to be clear, Covid clearly has risks and so does the vaccine. I am essentially saying the same thing as you are, weigh the risks, but I am not telling people what to do. I think anyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get one. I think anyone who does not want a vaccine should not be coerced into getting one. Kids are low risk. That is a fact. I would never expect kids to get vaccines to protect adults. If adults are worried and feel that the vaccine is the best choice, they can protect themselves with one, not force kids to get it, If adults are worried but don’t want the vaccine, that is the risk they choose. I doubt they would expect kids to get the vaccine for them.

There really isn’t anything illogical here.
No one wants to coerce you or anyone. Shots make people go "ouch" and so it can be an uphill battle to convince certain people that getting vaccinated is the right thing to do. There is so much misinformation in this thread alone, and I'm frustrated because people are going to believe it, because, again, vaccines make boo-boos, and boo-boos are scary.

Everyone should "choose" to take the vaccine, because it is the best way to get to normal fastest. This virus is just going to bang around, and risk mutating, if we don't put it under control. There are certainly booster shots coming to address these variants. This is not going away soon, but if people don't get vaccinated, it might not go away ever. H1N1 became endemic, as have other novel coronaviruses in the past. If we can stop this one, we should.

Also, what is the point of a political discussion forum if you just mute people? A sign of the times.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
No one wants to coerce you or anyone. Shots make people go "ouch" and so it can be an uphill battle to convince certain people that getting vaccinated is the right thing to do. There is so much misinformation in this thread alone, and I'm frustrated because people are going to believe it, because, again, vaccines make boo-boos, and boo-boos are scary.

Everyone should "choose" to take the vaccine, because it is the best way to get to normal fastest. This virus is just going to bang around, and risk mutating, if we don't put it under control. There are certainly booster shots coming to address these variants. This is not going away soon, but if people don't get vaccinated, it might not go away ever. H1N1 became endemic, as have other novel coronaviruses in the past. If we can stop this one, we should.

Also, what is the point of a political discussion forum if you just mute people? A sign of the times.
Some people do favor coercion, they want school mandates, workplace mandates and travel mandates.

No one is taking about boo boos or ouchies.

If people get their health info from a CD thread, I don’t know how to help them. I am not telling people what they should or should not do. You are, however.

I don’t mute people for having different opinions or perspectives. Thanks for your concern though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies