U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 10:28 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,072,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
The best I can offer is no, no immediate plans for a vax. J&J if still living on earth mandates it. But having to explain the reasoning to people who will never be satisfied with the answer is time wasted but I have a couple of minutes:

5yrs old is the first bizarre reaction I had to something "unknown" - looking back now, it was the 70s and may have been the red dye #whatever because it was in red sugar sprinkled cookies. That was the meal before bed. Amusing now, kinda, but it was a prelude to the future.

Waking up every day and looking in the mirror to see what I looked like, what transpired overnight (IT ALWAYS HAPPENS OVERNIGHT!) has been a lifelong dread, I'm 48 and I'm tired.

What if this time I don't wake up? Nah, I'm good.

"chronic idiopathic urticaria or hyperallergic reaction" Idiopathic is a tiring word.

Sunglasses resting on my nose (compression hives)
Left eye swollen like a softball (what did I eat yesterday? did I use something new?)
Half the face swollen with a dead line down the center, like 2 different people in profile - weird AF (landscapers burning poison ivy, maybe? that was the best we could come up with)

The years dragged on, so did the strange occurrences. I have seen dermatologists across the eastern seaboard and everyone says "take benadryl" or I get hit with a cortisone shot.

No EFFING way. No way, no how, no nothing. Tired of finding things on myself, not looking like myself, weird issues coming and going. Nothing diagnosed, nothing gained.

And I DON'T have to explain that to everyone who is suffering a loudmouthed case of self-righteousness about the vaccine. If you want to be the world's long term experiment (yes, you ARE THE LONG TERM STUDY, folks) that's your business. But stop proselytizing already FFS. Even if your brain can't wrap around the idea that your government is coaching you to *be* the long term study, they ARE.
I developed an allergy to a red dye (and dairy, penicillin, several vegetables, cottonwood trees, etc ...) in the 1970's after being vaccinated with the same vaccine 4 times in 6 months. I'm reading "vaccine injury" throughout your post ... Do not accept any vaccine until you have full immunological profiles & allergy testing done by an Immunologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Measles is many times more contagious and has been stopped by vaccination.
I nominate you to administer my covid vaccine, in the event that the reparations for my son's disabling combo of the MMR + Dtap is fulfilled.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-13-2021, 03:42 PM

12,134 posts, read 3,846,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Good answer....I didn’t know the stats so thanks

Am too frustrated with comments that talk about heart disease, cancer, old age deaths ..

The difference of course is the above 3 are not communicable
In an attempt to TRY to explain:

Yes, a virus is not the same as cancer, heart disease, etc.

What I was talking about were the number of deaths caused by each. The fact is that fewer deaths are caused by COVID than by heart disease or cancer. (I already provided the link.)

And, no, there is no vaccine to prevent heart disease or cancer (unfortunately), but my "outrage" over this entire pandemic reaction was that everyone's lives have been negatively affected by a virus that does not negatively affect the great majority of those infected AT ALL.

And, yes, it can certainly be argued -- and it certainly has been -- that preventing more deaths is worth having everyone inconvenienced and "restricted", but in my OPINION, the cost in job loss and school shutdowns has not been worth it, as (from what I have read), the great majority of COVID deaths would have occurred anyway in a very short time from other causes. Now, of course, there are many exceptions to that, but I am talking overall. So we continue to have massive unemployment, a bogus "help" bill that actually contains very little in the way of relief for those affected by COVID, and millions and millions of school kids being deprived of a quality education.

And what angers me almost more than anything else is that the "experts" and media continue to try to convince people that they know what they are talking about when it is so painfully obvious that they do not know, and that the actual "COVID numbers" are not anything but guesses.

And, finally, how can anyone read about what measures are still recommended for people who have been vaccinated and not realize that the vaccines might not be all that effective after all -- and that those in charge know this? https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-yo...ow-11614978343

But, of course, people are free to believe what they want and, in most cases, do what they want.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-13-2021 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 03:54 PM

33,063 posts, read 34,369,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just to TRY to explain --

Yes, virus is not the same as cancer, heart disease, etc.

What I was talking about were the number of deaths caused by each. The fact is that fewer deaths are caused by COVID than by heart disease or cancer. (I already provided the link.)
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...-of-death-inus

"Importantly, the authors wrote, death rates for the two leading causes -- heart disease and cancer -- are about 1,700 and 1,600 per day, respectively. COVID-19 deaths have surpassed these numbers individually throughout December and, on Wednesday, beat them combined. More than 3,400 deaths were reported, according to the COVID Tracking Project, marking an all-time high that continues to increase."

As of yesterday the total was 1707, which is subject to being revised upward due to delayed reporting.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:59 PM

9,527 posts, read 4,512,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
an extremely dangerous vaccination
No matter how often I see it on this forum I'm still amazed at how easily some people are suckers for misinformation that plays to fear.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:03 PM

9,527 posts, read 4,512,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And, finally, how can anyone read about what measures are still recommended for people who have been vaccinated and not realize that the vaccines might not be all that effective after all -- and that those in charge know this?
In double blind studies consisting of tens of thousands of participants some covid vaccines reduced the number of infections by 95%, and most vaccine candidates had even more encouraging impact on rate of severe illness requiring hospitalization. Israel has since confirmed similar numbers in a real world setting.

I'm baffled as to how this can be described as not very effective.

I also still wonder what all the "vaccines don't really work" types will do when impact of vaccines is so obvious by late summer or fall. Will they pretend they never made these posts or try to convince themselves vaccines aren't the reason?

Old 03-13-2021, 04:04 PM

11,184 posts, read 3,377,176 times
Response: Opinion

Facts do not Lie...............

As of March 8,2021

Only 15% of the population has gotten the vaccination.

49 million vaccinated and 279 million not vaccinated.

Donald Trump had agreed to contracts with Pfizer,Moderna ,Johnson,Astra Zeneca,Nova Vax, and Sanofi, for amounts totaling
800 million doses enough for more than 400 million people. These were promises...followed by the FDA approval of vaccines
unless acted upon by emergency action which then could be distributed to the public. Pfizer and Moderna gained authorization
on Dec 11 and Dec 18 and on the 23 was announced by Trump administration that it would buy an additional 200 million more doses.

I do not see any stronger message by the American public..

There are no guarantees unless you shove it down someones throat...............

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 03-13-2021 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 04:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,818,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I’ve decided for now not to get it. When it will be available to me I don’t know but supposedly everyone has the opportunity by May? My employer send an email yesterday saying they encourage employees to get the vaccine as it becomes available to us. Is it private? Or do companies have the right to ask if you’ve received the vaccine? Will travel require the vaccine? I think international travel will but will domestic?

Yes, companies have the right and can remove non vaccinated people

Yes, it is irresponsible. Not only do you put your life in danger, you put the lives of everyone that you come into contact with in danger. Plus, you might end up taking a hospital bed away from vaccinated patients that have an emergency

Old 03-13-2021, 04:14 PM

17,168 posts, read 8,478,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
In double blind studies consisting of tens of thousands of participants some covid vaccines reduced the number of infections by 95%, and most vaccine candidates had even more encouraging impact on rate of severe illness requiring hospitalization. Israel has since confirmed similar numbers in a real world setting.

I'm baffled as to how this can be described as not very effective.

I also still wonder what all the "vaccines don't really work" types will do when impact of vaccines is so obvious by late summer or fall. Will they pretend they never made these posts or try to convince themselves vaccines aren't the reason?
The people who got vaccinated in the trials were not intentionally exposed so it’s not that shocking that a large percentage of them didn’t get covid. It’s not the greatest data or the greatest evidence.

Last edited by MissTerri; 03-13-2021 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 04:21 PM

33,063 posts, read 34,369,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The people who got vaccinated in the trials were not intentionally exposed so it’s not that shocking that a large percentage of them didn’t get covid. It’s not the greatest data or the greatest evidence.
Yes, they were exposed in the community, which would be expected to more closely resemble the real world. The real world experience is confirming the trial results.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765

Old 03-13-2021, 04:23 PM

17,168 posts, read 8,478,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, they were exposed in the community, which would be expected to more closely resemble the real world. The real world experience is confirming the trial results.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765
At least 95% of people I know who didn’t get the vaccine, also didn’t get covid. The people I know who did get covid ranged from almost no symptoms, to flu like symptoms, two with slightly more serious symptoms and also higher risk, but none hospitalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.