Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 08:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I’ve decided for now not to get it. When it will be available to me I don’t know but supposedly everyone has the opportunity by May? My employer send an email yesterday saying they encourage employees to get the vaccine as it becomes available to us. Is it private? Or do companies have the right to ask if you’ve received the vaccine? Will travel require the vaccine? I think international travel will but will domestic?
Let's look at this another way. In 2009 the ACLU advocated for the withdrawal of a mandate that all health care workers be vaccinated against both the seasonal flu and the swine flu because it violates the right to privacy of people. In 2020/21 the ACLU is doing the reverse and advocating that everyone should get, or have equal access, the COVID shot(s).

Currently I don't think there are are any countries that mandate to get the shots. But be aware that unless you're going to live like a hermit and survive on Instacart/Amazon your options of going anywhere may be limited as many of the locations most likely will require proof of having the inoculation.

As I doubt the case law for the Flu will get much traction in a Pandemic, your employer may at some time in future may require as a condition of employment (unless you have medical proof that you are allergic to one or more of the components of the vaccine) that you get inoculated.

Even though I had retired from my field a few years ago, it didn't stop a certain agency from re-activating me as global essential personnel (non-medical) last year. So even though I had never gotten a Flu shot, I got my first one last year. Last month I got both my shots for covid (didn't care much for the side effects as I don't think I felt that bad since college).

So to answer your questions in the real world:

Is it private? Will travel require the vaccine? I think international travel will but will domestic?

It depends. I'm already in a few travel databases as being inoculated and now carry two ID cards that state that I am. Domestically (as in the US?), from what I've read in relation to US carriers expect worst case scenario's (US carriers have a horrible track record compared to what is considered domestic in other nations).

Old 03-14-2021, 08:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's only weak if you do not understand it.
I understand it quite well. You’re defending weak data on efficacy.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I guess I'm not understanding, are you suggesting the data from the double blind studies was faked? Like, all your other logic for rejecting science wasn't working out so you just went with the fallback that the information we have is false?

If so, can you explain what evidence you have that the data was faked, other than in not aligning to your worldview?
Not fake data, weak data. Saying that 95% of people in the trial who were vaccinated didn’t covid when they weren’t exposed to covid is weak considering most people were not going to get covid anyway. Saying that most were not severely ill if they caught covid is also weak considering most people who get covid do not get severely ill.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think everyone needs to make their own decisions on whether to get the vaccine. I never get the flu vaccine as I am not worried about dying from the flu and rarely get it. I did get the COVID vaccine as I have asthma and hbp. I am 66 and was worried so used the past 7 months to lose 50lbs. A good friend of mine had Covid and was dead within days despite being hospitalized. This was in November before the vaccine was available.
Agree, everyone should make their own choices based on the available information and their own risk factors and experiences.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:03 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Of course it is irresponsible to not get the Covid vaccine. Only the truly deluded would reach the conclusion that they shouldn't.

For 99.9% of the population, getting the vaccine is the most important civic duty you will ever have in your lifetime. No matter what some wingnuts on an Internet forum might say to the contrary.
{Insert vomit smilie here}

That is absurd. No, it is not.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
{Insert vomit smilie here}

That is absurd. No, it is not.
I imagined the Star Spangled Banner playing in the backround as I read it

Old 03-14-2021, 10:13 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You said THE MOST you will ever have in your lifetime. Stop moving the goalpost. Furthermore, I never said I was an anti-vaxxer. Interesting though that you never responded to my post about concerns Veterans may have. What are your thoughts? Did you serve in one of the wars and experience horrible, debilitating physical problems that the VA won't give a diagnosis for?
Answering the question you asked - "is it irresponsible not to get the vaccine".

The answer is yes - you just didn't like the answer.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:17 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I understand it quite well. You’re defending weak data on efficacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not fake data, weak data. Saying that 95% of people in the trial who were vaccinated didn’t covid when they weren’t exposed to covid is weak considering most people were not going to get covid anyway. Saying that most were not severely ill if they caught covid is also weak considering most people who get covid do not get severely ill.
The data are amazingly strong. The studies exceed expectations. The participants were exposed to the same community risks that have produced 29.4 million cases and 534 thousand deaths in the US. The study results have also been confirmed by real world experience in Israel.

Sorry, you really do not understand epidemiology at all.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:19 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Answering the question you asked - "is it irresponsible not to get the vaccine".

The answer is yes - you just didn't like the answer.
Again, you moved the goalpost. I never asked that question. Yet, you never answered my questions.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:21 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Is it irresponsible not to get the vaccine?
Probably not. The unvaccinated will be vastly outnumbered by the vaccinated. The virus will die before it finds an unvaccinated recipient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies