Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 05:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Lol! The s&p is up like 0.6 percent since Biden became president. I don’t consider that good.
We are in the 12 month of the pandemic, I suspected the Dow to be worse.

I do not track the S & P as closely -- but I was talking less about the last weeks but look where we are today compared to a year ago.

Not bad right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Well the prospect of the fed raising the rates is what was/is spooking the tech stocks. Then people looked at what else there is and it’s all up more than it should be. The NASDAQ went in and out of correction for half a second. The ride has been a bit wild. Tech stocks have provided a major buying opportunity if not a generational one at this point, especially for semiconductors with a shortage. I am not rotating into something retarded like Macy’s.
Appreciate your view point. Thanks for sharing

Old 03-09-2021, 05:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I think there is just so much money in stock markets that those with all that money in the stock market hve reserves to make sure that it doesn't crash...of course there will be some unforeseen incident....but it is crazy how the values keep going up and up and up.

There should have been a correction -- there should have been.

I suspected this year we would see a big slow down but the reality is that folks are so ready to go nuts once we can travel, spend, etc...that I think the economy/market is going to be okay this year.

You all are way more knowledgeable about all of this.
The market has been “sideways” for the past month. I think we might see a post-covid bump followed by a sharp decline. If you look at last the past month or so the market was a bit of a bear up until this week.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 03-09-2021, 05:53 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm the wife and we switched up the 401K a bit and it has done better in the pandemic year than I thought it would.

Financially this pandemic has not done us any harm at all.

So we may see things not do as well this year?
I expect this year to do very well. I was just explaining that lately it hasn’t been great and maybe that’s why people aren’t saying ,much. Today big tech shot the lights out and they are still under valued.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The market has been “sideways” for the past month. I think we might see a post-covid bump followed by a sharp decline. If you look at last the past month or so the market was a bit of a bear up until this week.
You think the dive this year?

That was my original forecast -- but I'm starting to think it won't happen this year.

Honestly -- for Biden it would be good for any dips to happen earlier in his Presidency. As we have seen,

Old 03-09-2021, 05:54 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
A lot of investors that were tech heavy got seriously hurt. Today it partially recovered. The last time the stock market was this jubilant type of financial orgy was last year. The volatility has been actually pretty good for traders. However for the passive investor it has been nothing to speak of. When you open your 401K right now your wife won’t think you are a genius.
My return over the past year on my 401k is 27%.

Granted that's measuring from a trough, but it's 9% over the past 10 years.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:55 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,248,616 times
2008 is coming soon.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I expect this year to do very well. I was just explaining that lately it hasn’t been great and maybe that’s why people aren’t saying ,much. Today big tech shot the lights out and they are still under valued.

I guess I'm going by today....and because I tend to more conservative in my forecast/hopes I assumed it would be worse than it is.

The stimulus bill stall, the immigration issues, winter storms impacting vaccine roll outs....this was all slowing the roll

I'm glad to hear you think the tech stocks are undervalued. It has been serving us well.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
2008 is coming soon.
I tend to lean that way. Thought it would have happened before the pandemic....but it didn't.

The pandemic forced a downturn, and slowed things so I see 2008 being delayed. Fo r how long I am not sure.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:59 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Those sweet government checks flow and I think the open stocks will hit a huge spike. That’s all you hear about. This is the perfect set up for some nice trading. I think the opening is priced in. Look at something like Disney.

Nearly $200 it’s park are sort of open. Yeah it has streaming but airlines or cruise lines. Back to where they were bleeding money and business severely interrupted still. Airlines need business class, as do hotels.

If all the stimulus goes out the same day the result would be mind boggling. The stock market is changing and accelerating at a rate of which history has never seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies