Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:34 AM

4,191 posts, read 2,511,188 times

Advertisements

Many older people don't have birth certificates. A uniform system wasn't put into place until the 1930's. I have a birth registration card issued by the physician but not a "birth certificate." Some don't even have that. Births at home from that time are frequently not recorded other than in a church record and sometimes not even then. My neighbor just turned 90. A navy veteran with a passport, he has no birth certificate. He was born at home. Things were looser then and so we both were able to get what we needed, but for some folks if they never even drove, if a birth certificate were required for an ID they would be disenfranchised.

The other part of this is in the south, it has vestiges of a poll tax. VA has adopted a rather aggressive program to make getting an ID easier, but its not free to the recipient and it can't get an ID to someone who is homebound.

These older people, thus have a Medicare card a social security card, but no birth certificate which is needed.

Last edited by webster; 03-11-2021 at 05:43 AM..

Old 03-11-2021, 06:13 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They are not free . In Fl they must be changed when you move and they have expiration dates. This can be a problem especially for the poor elderly or handicapped. They have cut the DL places to the tax collectors office. That’s a mess or you do it online. Now you must bring your birth certificate etc when the DL expires to make sure not an illegal.
So? Most driver's licenses are valid for years. Elderly and handicapped persons have resourses to assist them getting these things in place (free). Not sure what you are talking about with the tax collectors office. ?? do you live in the US?

Old 03-11-2021, 06:18 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Oh, you live in Fl

Old 03-11-2021, 06:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All BS.
Older, low income and minority folks are the majority of those on SS, SSI, Welfare.
One must have some identification to get these things.
Yes just about everything your required to do through any government entity has petty little obstacles. They can be overcome.

My grands were born at home in the late 1800's -early 1900's in the foothills of the Appalachia mountains as were my parents. They all were able to obtain a BC and SS number and get an ID. Neither of my grandmothers ever drove.
My state requires a photo ID to vote. There are plenty agencies and organizations that provide assistance for those wanting state issue IDs.
When I registered to vote way back in the day, just needed my SS card.

When I moved to Colorado, I was registered to vote when I switched my drivers license from my previous state, however, I’ve never had to show any type of ID to vote.
Signature match, yes. Id, no.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Texas offers FREE voter ID cards so there's that
Based on what criteria?

Old 03-11-2021, 07:30 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They are not free . In Fl they must be changed when you move and they have expiration dates. This can be a problem especially for the poor elderly or handicapped. They have cut the DL places to the tax collectors office. That’s a mess or you do it online. Now you must bring your birth certificate etc when the DL expires to make sure not an illegal.
https://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/renew-replace-id-card
For low income and homeless they are free.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAnulty View Post
Yeah, "all" as in clearly stating the reason for ID was to help his candidate.
That is your perception. It was explained.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
When I registered to vote way back in the day, just needed my SS card.

When I moved to Colorado, I was registered to vote when I switched my drivers license from my previous state, however, I’ve never had to show any type of ID to vote.
Signature match, yes. Id, no.
Well things change.
When I registered to vote I was a liberal democrat.
Lots of things have changed since back then.
I took my minor grand to open his first bank account when he stated his part time job. He had to show ID, I had to show ID, and court papers of guardianship, they even ran a background check that threw up a red flag as him being a middle eastern criminal because they entered his name wrong. Almost didnt get to open it that day.
When they were born I opened a savings account in their names with just my word and their social. Which back in the day one did not get until they actually were getting a job. I got mine at 14 because my sis was 16, getting a job and she just got me an application. Things change. I could go on about things you now have to show ID for.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:15 AM

36 posts, read 12,442 times
Someone needs a pen in order to fill out a ballot. There are likely a plethora of citizens in this country lacking these essential writing instruments and who can't necessarily easily afford a packet of ballpoints. That's a poll tax!

Old 03-11-2021, 02:11 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Many people DON'T have a valid ID. Getting a valid government ID costs money. Requiring valid government ID puts a price tag on voting. Provide free government IDs to all citizens first, THEN we can even start to talk about requiring ID for voting.

The fact is that in-person voter fraud is unbelievably rare. 'Voter IDs are needed' is a bogey man. It's a solution in search of a problem. Trumps massive slate of failed lawsuits showed us that voter fraud really isn't something we need to worry about.
If that were true, you would have a point.
My understanding is that states will provide a free ID card. (if not, they should.)
(Although, I can't believe anyone can function in society without a valid ID.)
You are correct in stating that a "Poll Tax" is unconstitutional.
Kinda like the Democrat's gun control bills that would require
expensive "firearm insurance" in order to exercise a Constitutional right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies