Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:12 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Woman I know, also with 3 kids, said she’s going on a lavish vacation with the money.

Lavish vacation or new truck....both will stimulate the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 01:20 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Lavish vacation or new truck....both will stimulate the economy.
140K/year. Do taxpayers really need to give another 11K for them to stimulate the economy. The government is trading us 1400 dollars for 1.9 trillion debt.
Want to stimulate the economy. Let businesses reopen, help businesses that were forced out by Covid, let schools reopen. Help those who actually lost jobs due to Covid. People who remained employed through out this pandemic haven't stopped stimulating the economy.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:21 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
If you are single and childless, you will receive $ 1400 under the Rescue Act. A family of four would receive $ 11,600 ( I have included the child tax credits in this calculation); more if the children are under 6.

I know raising kids is expensive. But this variance seems a bit out of proportion. 12K is a down payment on a house. $ 1400 covers one month of rent in a metro area.

Did I miscalculate? What are your thoughts on this?
It can also help a family afford child care so they can work a job until the schools reopen. It can possibly help some families on the way to being more financially stable. It depends on the circumstances.

The shutdowns should never have happened in the first place. Many people suffered needlessly. Some people might not be able to recover. Many are having to file for bankruptcy. Some were so stressed out from the financial hardship that they killed themselves.

I think it is more concerning about where the bulk of the money is going. The amount regular people get is nothing compared to the amount going elsewhere. The wealth is being looted and the looters are distracting people by dropping some of the money out of the sky on the way out so that people will fight over it.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:22 PM

331 posts, read 182,281 times
If they're single and childless doesn't that mean they're NOT getting the shaft?

Old 03-10-2021, 01:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Seems like a lot but care and feeding of the child(ren) takes a lot more money than $1400 each.

I hate hate hate that a lot of this money is going to bail out NY and CA.. their deficit is going to be very low thanks to this. thats what Trump did not want to happen - bail out the bad blue states who were reckless with their money.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:25 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleebs View Post
If they're single and childless doesn't that mean they're NOT getting the shaft?
Not necessarily, but good one.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:25 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The median is not a fair representative number. It counts retirees who have not been adversely effected with their jobs, and young people who are just starting their first few years of their career. The true median income for working families is well over $100k+.
Ah, the "true" median. Trump U statistics major?

Old 03-10-2021, 01:26 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto1 View Post
Single people always get the shaft. There is no one else helping to pay the bills, the rent, mortgage, etc. It is certainly much easier if there is a partner involved. Having a child is a choice, I don't know why that choice would be rewarded with the child credit.
I’m divorced. I can say it’s NOT easier having a partner involved because they’re not always going to be bringing in income. It’s another mouth to feed, stuff to buy, insurance to cover, trip to plan with, person to argue with, etc.

So I’m not going to complain about being single with no children ever again. I enjoy my freedom.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:27 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
doesn't change or have any bearing on the fact that kids are a choice that should not be subsidized by the government.
Yep.

Kids were subsidized long before this bill was ever written. As a single, childless male with a comfortable income, I’m definitely getting the shaft here.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:27 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Seems like a lot but care and feeding of the child(ren) takes a lot more money than $1400 each.

I hate hate hate that a lot of this money is going to bail out NY and CA.. their deficit is going to be very low thanks to this. thats what Trump did not want to happen - bail out the bad blue states who were reckless with their money.
It’s going to keep paying all their overpaid “public servants.” There are 340,000 employees and pensioners in California, including plenty “underpaid” teachers, making more than $100,000 a year. Sad thing is, the regular Joe in Middle America earning $45,000 will pitch in, via taxes, to pay for the bloated salaries and pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies