Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:28 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Seems like a lot but care and feeding of the child(ren) takes a lot more money than $1400 each.

I hate hate hate that a lot of this money is going to bail out NY and CA.. their deficit is going to be very low thanks to this. thats what Trump did not want to happen - bail out the bad blue states who were reckless with their money.
They are getting more than $ 1400.00 each, if you include the child tax credits of 3000 - 3600 (depending on age of child). That also does not include child care grants and extra SNAP benes in the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 01:30 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It can also help a family afford child care so they can work a job until the schools reopen. It can possibly help some families on the way to being more financially stable. It depends on the circumstances.

The shutdowns should never have happened in the first place. Many people suffered needlessly. Some people might not be able to recover. Many are having to file for bankruptcy. Some were so stressed out from the financial hardship that they killed themselves.

I think it is more concerning about where the bulk of the money is going. The amount regular people get is nothing compared to the amount going elsewhere. The wealth is being looted and the looters are distracting people by dropping some of the money out of the sky on the way out so that people will fight over it.
Millions in child care monies are included in the bill.

I agree with most of your post, though.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:32 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Lavish vacation or new truck....both will stimulate the economy.
if all you want to do is stimulate the economy give the money to kids in college or people who are really poor such on disability SSI Social Security they are the groups who will most likely go out there and spend that money quickest. Sure some people may go out there and buy a new truck or go on vacation but how many will invest it in the market or pay off debt, doing little to stimulate the economy.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
They are getting more than $ 1400.00 each, if you include the child tax credits of 3000 - 3600 (depending on age of child). That also does not include child care grants and extra SNAP benes in the bill.
yes you're right when you add in all the perks they get too.

Plus get this - dont forget - they get free internet or internet at such a low low rate, for being on welfare, its like $10 or so. whereas the regular customers have to pay like $60 - $100 for internet service.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The entire middle class is getting the shaft and stuck with tax bill. Most families make more than the $80k a year and wont receive a penny, Federal employees receive $21k each, business owners get tens of thousands in payouts in "forgivable loans", a lot of special interest receive grants, muslims in Egypt and Palestine receive money. The regular man or woman with a full time job, a mortgage and bills receive nothing and will be the ones paying for this.

Another reason to vote Republican.
The cut off is 80k for SINGLE people with no kids. The cut off for head of household is 120K and married filing joint is 160k. I see no problem with this except I think the cut off should be lower. If you were single last year and still made 80k, you don't need the money. Same with the HOH and MFJ. The cut off is just too high and it's wasting money on people who don't need it.

We are MFJ with no kids who made more than 160k last year but they still gave us the stimulus money we didn't get last year in our return this year because the cut off was higher last year. We won't qualify for this next stimulus check either because of our income last year per our filed tax return. But, we will both be retired this year which will drop our AGI below 160k for next years tax filing and as a result, they'll send us this stimulus money to us in next years return. It's crazy how that works but that is what is happening.

Additionally, a lot of folks who are retired and living comfortably should also not have gotten the stimulus in my opinion. I have a VERY wealthy aunt and uncle (worth millions) who live comfortably, not lavishly, that were disgusted when the stimulus was deposited into their bank account. They even called the IRS trying to give it back but IRS refused to take it back.

Again, we don't need any of this money. All of this money that is being sent out to people that don't need it could have been sent to people who have lost their jobs or got their hours cut. That is what I consider "targeted relief" and being responsible with taxpayer money. At this rate, we will never dig our way out of this debt we've put ourselves into.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:50 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Seems like a lot but care and feeding of the child(ren) takes a lot more money than $1400 each.
Do parents know this before they have kids?

Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Yes the SNAP. They also, at least in the previous stimulus bills, got an EBT card for their kids. The median hh income in the county they live in is $36,700K. Im guessing based on my salary that between the two they are grossing 140K/year. Does someone think they cant buy food for their kids on that?

Old 03-10-2021, 02:51 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Millions in child care monies are included in the bill.

I agree with most of your post, though.
I have no idea what all is in this particular bill. I have no doubt that it is mostly wasteful spending.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:55 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Its okay. Dont cry. I have 2 kids and I make too much. No free fiat for us .. Guess I will just have to work instead of having it handed to me

Old 03-10-2021, 02:56 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Being childless and single my entire life, yes, I know this from first hand that we get the shaft. We might get one month of snap if you even get that since you have no dependents even if you have zero income. Not that there should be but there is no help from government for single and childless, moreso, if you are male. To be fair, women with children should get no help from government either. Government tends to favor women and children while extracting from single males. Children are individual choices, why in the world would the government give them credit and benefits from Taxpayers to support their individual choice? Because, like always, they like to steal from Peter to pay Paul. You know who else has multiple children? Yep, Illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies