Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 08:47 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
... Most of us don't object to legal immigration in the numbers that we actually need and they should be in diversified numbers not just from mostly one ethnic group....
You just proved my point. "In the numbers we actually need" is nothing more than thinly disguised rightspeak for "not very many." And "not just from mostly one ethnic group" is nothing more than thinly disguised rightspeak for "we don't like having too many Mexicans." Thus, in your attempt to argue against me, all you did was prove exactly what I said, though of course you're not going to admit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007
It is clear to us on the left that no matter what immigration laws we passed, and no matter what kinds of people those laws favored, as long as those laws allow in a large number of immigrants, a lot of people on the right will find something to complain about. Knowing this, we simply don't take your complaints seriously.

Last edited by James Bond 007; 03-15-2021 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 09:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There are a long line of people who want to come here.

If we kicked the people out who came here illegally, couldn't we just bring in as many as we needed? You know, people who want to come here legally?

Or, is your point that they would be too expensive if they were legal?

Is that why we should keep all of these people who broke our laws? So that we can keep underpaying them and not giving them benefits?

You make a pretty strong argument against giving amnesty.

I will have to give that some more thought.
I made no argument against amnesty and you know it. I simply acknowledged that there ARE jobs for illegals. We know this because they are doing jobs now. Mostly they do the kind of jobs Americans will not do, and for minimal pay. They come here because they are desperate. They come here because they know they can manage to find some sort of work.

Who do you think picks the fresh produce you buy at the market? Who do you think slaughters the hogs and chickens you buy on sale? Who does the landscaping around your town? Who works in your restaurant kitchens?

If employers refused to hire illegal workers, they would not come.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:24 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
They are putting three thousand illegal alien teenagers in the downtown Dallas Convention Center. That's right, our Convention Center. This will be great for business. I'm speechless.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:32 PM

10,441 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The difference is, there were no tax payer funded social services back then. There were no food stamps. If you couldn't afford to eat, you starved. There was no section 8 housing back then. If you couldn't afford a place to live, you lived in the street. There was no welfare, no medicaid, no social security, we weren't spending the equivalent of 10s of thousands of dollars on each student every year to educate kids, there was no in-state tuition, or any other way that the millions of uneducated, illiterate, and unemployed people could sponge off of the current citizen tax-payers.
Pretty much nailed it with this post. Not to mention how billions of tax payer money is also being used to get the USA to interfere with other countries, either by spying, bombing or just using as a way to launder money for the corrupt politicians and their lobbyists.

Car insurance in my area has gone through the roof. Average 300 a month just for one truck with no priors. Reason being my agent tells me, it's because of all of the immigrants flooding the area who will drive around with no insurance and have very little respect for the driving laws. The only good thing about this is that the section 8 does jack up rental prices, and I have been making a killing. I used to rent out my homes for $450, but then the past 8 years I can easily get $1500 and up.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:34 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,024,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I made no argument against amnesty and you know it. I simply acknowledged that there ARE jobs for illegals. We know this because they are doing jobs now. Mostly they do the kind of jobs Americans will not do, and for minimal pay. They come here because they are desperate. They come here because they know they can manage to find some sort of work.

Who do you think picks the fresh produce you buy at the market? Who do you think slaughters the hogs and chickens you buy on sale? Who does the landscaping around your town? Who works in your restaurant kitchens?

If employers refused to hire illegal workers, they would not come.
That is true, and that is why they are still come and will continue to come as long as employers hire them.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:42 PM

10,441 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Again, no American wants to work menial labor. No one wants to work at taco bell or the car wash. They aspire to be much more and shame on us if we don't instill that value in them.
Funny you say that. I know many immigrants from all backgrounds who come here for the colleges so they don't have to work menial labor jobs either.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:47 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are NAZIs attacking our Capitol
Literally nahtzeees! REEEEEEE!

Old 03-16-2021, 12:50 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They are not here illegally. The great mass of the Hispanics in Las Vegas are all citizens of the US. My gardener and this three sons and his sons in law are all legal. How do we know? They fly to visit the family in Mexico. Cannot do that without being legal. And the sons were all born here. All are completely bilingual and have good Strip positions. The fluently bilingual get higher wages on the Strip than English speakers. One pit boss told us the criteria was that the second language should not be detectable if not used.

They work with dad on weekends on his private projects and one offs.

And that is the pattern of the construction workers. And in fact virtually all the Caucasians of which there are quite a few particularly in the foreman and crew boss levels also speak proficient construction Spanish.

As I said before there are a large set of people in this class and they have been buying and restoring homes in some of the older neighborhoods - West Las Vegas for instance. Some tension as many of these neighborhoods were historically African-American.
The topic isn't citizens, but illegal immigrants.

It's the illegal thing.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:56 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Agreed, enough Irish here already.

Just read the title, did I nail it?

Old 03-16-2021, 03:32 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
From about 1850 to about 1920 we let in millions of uneducated, illiterate and unemployed people into the USA. And we turned out just fine.
From 1776 until the passage of the 13th amendment in 1865, America imported 200K+ legal African slaves bought from African chiefs. The descendants of those African slaves are now 42 million African Americans. This is 13% of America, the biggest black population of any developed country on planet earth.

Let's ask the average black American if they're doing just fine. The answer is no. High obesity rates, high crime rates, low graduation rates, low income and wealth rates, children born to single parents, unemployment, etc.

So why are Democrats allowing more migrants when they haven't even helped black Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.