Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 10:57 PM

37,031 posts, read 41,087,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And BTW, the notion that these Latin American immigrants are all illiterate is ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet the immigrants from Mexico and Central America these days have higher literacy rates (and possibly also educational levels) than European immigrants from 1850-1920.

Literacy rate by country
Mexico - 95.40%
Guatemala - 81.50%
Honduras - 87.20%
El Salvador - 88.50%

Even as recently as 1981 the literacy rate in Italy was 96.5%, which is little different from Mexico's current rate.
How many coming here illegally are literate in English?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:01 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,328,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So when millions can't speak English that automatically means they really are uneducated and illiterate?

Seriously, hawkey2009, if you're really concerned about all these illegal immigrants, then just why in the hell don't you ever complain about employers illegally hiring them all the time? Tell me something, hawkeye2009, did it never occur to you if they would quit being hired that they just might give up eagerly coming across the border?
Maybe they wouldn't come here if they weren't offered medical assistance, food stamps, and government assisted housing.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:39 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Our Country doesn't matter to those in power right now, all they care about maintaining power, & that means flipping Texas from Red to Blue.

All they care about are themselves...feed the greed.

Plus, it helps big biz get more cheap labor, so those kickbacks keep coming in.

Its the top 1% conspiring, and crushing the 99%, and the 99% are losing badly.
This.

When you realize that everything they do is about power, everything they do makes sense.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 AM

13,375 posts, read 4,227,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How many coming here illegally are literate in English?

Most of them are bad at their native language and you think they will be efficient in English? This guy should stop playing couch potato know it all with B.S. numbers and go travel to the real Mexico, real Guatemala, real El Salvador and real Honduras and not at the American tourist resorts he goes to. I'm sure everybody there that service him knows English and like the American dollar.

The fact is those people are from a different culture and system and when they come here with endless social issues they expect the government to provide and that means higher taxes for me. They don't tell you that part when they tell us how great is endless immigration and We should shut up and how racists and evil we are in our own country.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:17 AM

13,375 posts, read 4,227,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie
So when millions can't speak English that automatically means they really are uneducated and illiterate?

Seriously, hawkey2009, if you're really concerned about all these illegal immigrants, then just why in the hell don't you ever complain about employers illegally hiring them all the time? Tell me something, hawkeye2009, did it never occur to you if they would quit being hired that they just might give up eagerly coming across the border?

I'm sure if I break in Mexico illegally , can't speak the language and can't support myself they are not going to give me a educational honor award at the University of Mexico and give me a job in their "telenovelas" speaking English.

Giving jobs to illegals is already against the law. The problem is you have a major political party that gives them sanctuary cities, government aid and free education for political power and the elites encourages more of that. If we give zero benefits and actually enforce our laws and stop making a case years to process in the system that would be a start. Add a political party that takes their oath serious and enforces the law. You have a sitting President that wants to pay their healthcare bills and just tells them to come over.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:14 AM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
From about 1850 to about 1920 we let in millions of uneducated, illiterate and unemployed people into the USA. And we turned out just fine.
The United States has a minority underclass even after 400 years.

Some things never change.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:27 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
This is just a stupid argument.

Back then lots of people said we didn't have enough jobs for Americans.

It is an undeniable argument.

They very nature of jobs have changed.

Back then we needed lots of unskilled labor and agricultural workers.

We don't now.

And don't even pretend like you care about their effect on the jobs market and the economy.

All you want is more Democrat votes and more bodies in Democrat districts for the census.

All other consequences be damned.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Again, no American wants to work menial labor. No one wants to work at taco bell or the car wash. They aspire to be much more and shame on us if we don't instill that value in them.

I see Americans working at Taco Bell and Auto Bell carwash every day.

We don't need to import more low skill, low wage slaves.

We need to get people and Democrats to understand that those types of jobs aren't supposed to be a permanent career path.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:40 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Well, since we took away their slaves, rich Democrats need cheap manual labor around the plantation.

Those chrysanthemums aren't going to plant themselves.

Yeah we'll just conveniently ignore the cheap illegal labor hired at golf properties, eh?

Old 03-11-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah we'll just conveniently ignore the cheap illegal labor hired at golf properties, eh?

Like Democrats don't play golf or own golf properties?

Lolz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.