Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:43 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've never understood the aversion to background checks for guns.
We aren't suprised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 01:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Elections have consequences......Democrats are giddy at reducing your Constitutional Rights

Biden’s agenda to Californize the Nation

House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales

Emboldened by their majorities in the House and Senate, Democrats are making a new push to enact the first major new gun control laws in more than two decades — starting with stricter background checks.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-ren...141831727.html

I actually have no issue with background checks.... what I want to see is the background checks to include mental instability

but the left will never add that, since the left is mentally unstable

Old 03-11-2021, 01:47 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've never understood the aversion to background checks for guns.
even the NRA is FOR background checks... but the NRA and most reasonable people want the background checks to include mental instability.... something the left will never do

Old 03-11-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I actually have no issue with background checks.... what I want to see is the background checks to include mental instability

but the left will never add that, since the left is mentally unstable
As defined by who?

Old 03-11-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
even the NRA is FOR background checks... but the NRA and most reasonable people want the background checks to include mental instability.... something the left will never do
Which is why the NRA cant be trusted.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
How does this help get the firearms out of the hands criminals ? Seems like Joe's "gun violence epidemic" agenda should be focused on certain cities across our nation, Detroit being one of them.
Instead, let's focus on the law abiding.

https://www.miheadlines.com/2021/02/...morning-video/

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-gun-at-woman/

https://www.miheadlines.com/2021/03/...-warren-woman/

https://www.miheadlines.com/2021/02/...-warren-woman/
It doesn't. The intention is to nibble away at the 2nd Amendment one piece of legislation at a time. The other is for political retribution. What better way is there to punish your political enemies than to find ways to criminalize their lawful activities and possessions?

Of course none of these laws will have any affect on the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms as we already have thousands of laws that address that. Along with thousands of laws that address every conceivable criminal act that one could possibly think of. If Democrats were really serious about violent crime then they would focus their energy on those that commit them. Good luck with that as it would affect one of their core constituencies.

It's quite obvious that Democrats do not believe in or support Constitutional Law. As it's the one thing that stands in their way in their quest for absolute power and control. They believe in majoritarian and authoritarianism. Having fought a revolution against tyranny, the founders of this nation designed and gave us the best system of governing in the world. That is if we can keep it. Why anyone would want anything different is beyond me?

Quote:
"There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made."
Quote:
"A pure unbridled democracy is a political system in which the majority enjoys absolute power by means of democratic elections. In an unvarnished democracy, unrestrained by a constitution, the majority can vote to impose tyranny on themselves and the minority opposition. They can vote to elect those who will infringe upon our inalienable God-given rights. Thomas Jefferson referred to this as elected despotism in Notes on the State of Virginia (also cited in Federalist 48 by Madison):"

Old 03-11-2021, 01:59 PM

462 posts, read 207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I don't see a stricter background check for guns as a bad thing, and this is coming from someone that does support gun ownership and the 2nd amendment.
Until someone flunks the background check and the govt refuses him permission to buy the gun he wants.

Bye-bye 2nd amendment.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
It's already illegal for people who are mentally unstable to possess firearms. It's also illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to anyone who is prohibited by both federal and state laws from owning one. Form 4473 lists all of those conditions.

Quote:
Form 4473 Question 21 f.
"Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

Old 03-11-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My big question, which by the way I have not seen one word about this is, who is doing the background checks?
The same people who are doing it now under the NICS system. One thing I have not seen one word about is whether federally licensed dealers who are in the business of selling guns will be required by law to run background checks for private transactions? Or at what cost to the private buyer or seller? For all intents and purposes a federally licensed dealer could charge whatever they please.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Most Americans approve of this. Do you own a gun? Do your friends own guns? Think about your friends now. Which one is most likely to be irresponsible with a gun? There is one, isn't there? Doesn't everyone know at least one gun owner who makes them nervous about their gun(s)? And these friends are probably legal gun owners. Do you really want people who are more dangerous than your least responsible friend to have guns? I don't.
If those people are that dangerous then they shouldn't have access to anything that could be used to kill or maim anyone. Why single out guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies