Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2021, 11:27 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,361,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Besides, aren't Democrats all for giving Convicted Felons all of their rights back? Serve your time, now you get to Vote and buy a firearm
Makes perfect sense now doesn't it?

As far as convicted felons having their rights restored? I guess it would have to do with the type of crime that was committed and decided on a case by case basis? Also the the recidivism rate of any offender. As most continue their life of crime after they are released.

Quote:
Long-Term Recidivism Studies Show High Arrest Rates | Prison ...
www.prisonlegalnews.org › news › 2019
May 03, 2019 · Two reports on long-term recidivism among prisoners released from state and federal prisons showed very high arrest rates. The rate for state prisoners was 83% over a nine-year study period, while it was 39.8% for nonviolent and about 64% for violent federal prisoners over an eight-year period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 12:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"uneducated", "untrained", these are vauge, malleable terms that could mean anything the powers that be, want them to be at a given time.
I am not going to play the game of "we can't do ANYTHING because of slippery slope fallacies". Today there are no requirements for education or safety training prior to gun ownership. It is logical that should change. Discussing the extent to which training and education should take place prior to ownership makes sense.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:42 PM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Background checks are not always accurate. Ive seen instances where crimes were missed.
Laws are never 100% effective, so.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:49 PM

46,319 posts, read 27,152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Laws are never 100% effective, so.

So..................Create more, or enforce current laws?

Old 03-12-2021, 01:53 PM

Oh, and for all those that think backgrounds checks are the way to go for every sale? Here is our current president and his thoughts about the 4473....

Quote:
Jim Baker, the NRA representative present at the meeting, recalled the vice president’s words during an interview with The Daily Caller: “And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.”

https://dailycaller.com/2013/01/18/b...ground-checks/

So, all your arguments went to crap.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:53 PM

45,247 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I am not going to play the game of "we can't do ANYTHING because of slippery slope fallacies". Today there are no requirements for education or safety training prior to gun ownership. It is logical that should change. Discussing the extent to which training and education should take place prior to ownership makes sense.
The 2nd as written recognizes an existing right (gun ownership of the individual) and is an acknowledgment that the fed govt has no authority to infringe on that right. There are no exceptions.
So you're right, we dont have to play the slipperly slope game, which really isnt that slippery, because it is a certainty that if given an inch, the state will keep taking. For further proof see this discussion and thousands of others about gun rights and laws, which if the constitution were indeed followed, wouldn't even be taking place.

By its own rulebook the fed govt has no role in gun ownership, period. That means no NICS,mental health, training or gun safety requirements. Your wishes and opinions are irrelevant to the matter.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forwardfour View Post
People can lie to their heart's content, however being a violent offender, been in a mental institution, have a restraining order, etc, are all public information and well placed on the ATF checks.
That's nothing more than false "Der gonna' take em'!" fodder from the cash-grab NRA.
And when you fill out a 4473 (which you clearly have never filled one out) and lie, it's a F-E-D-E-R-A-L offence. ANd lets not forget:

Quote:
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them... 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,' I would have done it.
Care to take a guess on which senator said the above quote? Now quick, run and google the quote and act like you know what you're talking about.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forwardfour View Post
I've purchased numerous firearms, and am well aware of the process, it's actually pretty seamless. I get the feeling you never have from these statements?

You're right, I've never purchased a rifle/handgun/shotgun, that's why I have not posted those pictures in the gun section of the website.

So, once again, your feelings are 100% wrong. And clearly you did not read my status from years ago.....

Old 03-12-2021, 02:31 PM

9,527 posts, read 4,355,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Stupid is thinking a convicted felon, that is well aware that owning a firearm is illegal , will try and buy a firearm knowing he will be background checked.
I can see you're trying to be logical, but it's just failing. LOL.

Holy crap. That is precisely the point. Right now, a convicted felon can buy a gun from a private seller because the seller won't know he's a felon. Under Biden's law, the seller would know and wouldn't sell him the gun. The buyer, knowing his background will be checked WON'T EVEN TRY TO BUY THE GUN (those are your words, sport). Even if he did, THE SELLER WOULDN'T SELL IT TO HIM.

Bottom line:
THE FELON WON'T BUY THE GUN. Which is precisely, exactly, the point of the law. You literally proved my point while still claiming I don't get it. Jeebus. I'm being perfect logical. Articulate why I'm not. I've completely eviscerated your "logic", but all you do is hurl insults.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:58 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Holy crap. That is precisely the point. Right now, a convicted felon can buy a gun from a private seller because the seller won't know he's a felon. Under Biden's law, the seller would know and wouldn't sell him the gun. The buyer, knowing his background will be checked WON'T EVEN TRY TO BUY THE GUN (those are your words, sport). Even if he did, THE SELLER WOULDN'T SELL IT TO HIM.

Bottom line:
THE FELON WON'T BUY THE GUN. Which is precisely, exactly, the point of the law. You literally proved my point while still claiming I don't get it. Jeebus. I'm being perfect logical. Articulate why I'm not. I've completely eviscerated your "logic", but all you do is hurl insults.
Right...

Because the war on drugs proves people never use the black market...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies