Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 07:25 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,145,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
She should have more discretion and should know better than to share students private information with the public. Every black student will now be suspect to be one of the "a lot" she is referring to.
Exactly. Furthermore, she only has ONE Black student in her class this semester. One of the arguments is that she was specifically attacking that one student. Apparently, she often has only one or two black students in her classes so she clearly has an issue. She stated you have some really good Black students and some who don’t do well. So she is literally talking about one doing well and one not and exaggerating due to her own issues.

I wonder if that student is doing well in her class and she’s angry about it. Some white teachers/professors become very nasty if you outperform others, particularly whites.

Two friends of mine are were accused of cheating because they, as the only “black” students in the Chemistry course, received As on an exam that every other student received Cs and lower on. One is a daughter of a tenured Chemistry professor, who received a perfect score (now a doctor). The other only missed one or so. They weren’t sitting near each other - nothing. The professor actually said that he thought they cheated because almost everyone else failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 07:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,385,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
What rates? Please do give the rates for Georgetown Law.
Do not take it up with me, take it up with the professor who was saying it.

I assure you though you would be all supportive of the professor if the complaint was blacks are disproportionate in the number of students there, or getting jobs there, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
And what culture do the students at Georgetown Law School subscribe to? Please tell us all.

In fact, what culture does the ONE Black student in her class this semester subscribe to? Where is he or she from? Was he or she born in the U.S.? Does he or she have a family? Is he or she religious?

Tell us ALL about his or her culture and that of all the “black” students at Georgetown Law.
Let me guess, you are one of those if a black person does it, it is an individual, but if someone does something to a black person, it is against the black community.

Like all your posts, you love to pick and choose when it is an individual and when it is a community.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:36 PM

15,066 posts, read 6,145,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Do not take it up with me, take it up with the professor who was saying it.

I assure you though you would be all supportive of the professor if the complaint was blacks are disproportionate in the number of students there, or getting jobs there, etc.
You made the statement so back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Let me guess, you are one of those if a black person does it, it is an individual, but if someone does something to a black person, it is against the black community.

Like all your posts, you love to pick and choose when it is an individual and when it is a community.
I don’t believe in any “black community.” Uncultured people cannot grasp that though. Your race is obviously your culture so it’s no surprise you would default to that.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:19 PM

27,431 posts, read 28,505,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Of course that's what I meant, you can't freely speak the truth or give any opinion without the left punishing you.

Conservatives shouldn't just give in and self silence or worse acquiesce and parrot what the left wants us to say. Conservatives need to fight fire with fire and start canceling liberals.
So, what do you expect conservatives (or any honest liberals) in academia should do? Speak the truth and lose their livelihoods, their families and become homeless?

Or just keep their mouths shut about these things and at least have a shot at a decent career?

Those are the only realistic options in the current political climate.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,845,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, what do you expect conservatives (or any honest liberals) in academia should do? Speak the truth and lose their livelihoods, their families and become homeless?

Or just keep their mouths shut about these things and at least have a shot at a decent career?

Those are the only realistic options in the current political climate.
Right, that's basically what I suggested in my next post

Quote:
For now best to not care and ignore and avoid other identity groups as much as possible if you don't want to lie and repeat the left's narrative.
But also when you are falsely accused of racism and going to be fired even if you give in and apologize, why not defend yourself and deny that false allegation? Why make it so easy for the leftist tyrants?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,736,999 times
Quote:
But also when you are falsely accused of racism and going to be fired even if you give in and apologize, why not defend yourself and deny that false allegation? Why make it so easy for the leftist tyrants?
If you are, say, a policeman, taking a stand would make sense as most people in your circle of friends, acquaintances, and even potential employers in private security, would sympathize and respect you for it. But if you're an academic, and most of the people you know are leftists, you're probably worried that your whole life is going to fall apart. You just want to make nice and minimize the damage as much as possible.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,845,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If you are, say, a policeman, taking a stand would make sense as most people in your circle of friends, acquaintances, and even potential employers in private security, would sympathize and respect you for it. But if you're an academic, and most of the people you know are leftists, you're probably worried that your whole life is going to fall apart. You just want to make nice and minimize the damage as much as possible.
But agreeing with your school's misconstruing your statements, basically admitting to being "racist" and then terminated anyway doesn't seem to be the way to go. I would at least deny it, and give the school plausible deniability and if you still are axed, it probably would've happened anyway and at least you go out with dignity and no admission of being "racist".

Old 03-16-2021, 07:22 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
It's a sensitive situation. There was a rigorous debate about it at Harvard by Richard Sander. He has done extensive research on the "mismatch" theory - an argument against using racial preferences in affirmative action. As a minority (indigenous from a reservation), I have often observed other minority students dropout of rigorous STEM programs with low grades. These are generally the students who got in with affirmative action. For example, let's say the average ACT in an engineering class was 28. And the average engineering student had one year of AP calculus, AP physics, AP English, and AP chemistry with some advanced credit earned. By contrast, a minority from a rural area or impoverished school district of an inner city likely did not have any AP courses and only had a score of 22 on the ACT. This is the "mismatch" - the impoverished, socioeconomically oppressed conditions of the school district led to a formula for dropout of STEM - no AP programs and a low ACT score. Let's label these minority students category A.
Just want to briefly comment on that. You're being overly generous on that average ACT score for engineering majors. At Purdue (a public university), for example, the middle 50% of students admitted to the College of Engineering had an ACT Composite score of 31-34. The average is 32. (Maximum ACT Composite score is 36, national average is 20.6.)

https://www.purdue.edu/futureenginee...sionsInfo.html

Your entire post was excellent. The "mismatch" of under-prepared minority students in college admissions is most definitely a substantial problem. It sets too many up for failure right out of the gate.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:43 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
White women have to generally meet the same high academic standards as white men for admittance. Why do you keep persisting in the fallacy that white women receive affirmative action based on race when it is based on sex and the same all females receive? White women do not receive race based affirmative action per se.
White women are actually discriminated against in college admissions because they're white (strike one), and women are over-represented in college enrollment statistics (strike two).

Old 04-13-2021, 12:59 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,416,563 times
Quote:
Treanor is the latest in a long line of American university administrators who has knuckled under to the pressures of the cancel culture mob. All it would have taken was for the dean to tell the Twitter mob, in effect: “Hold on a moment, let me speak with this woman first to understand what’s in her heart before I decide whether to act on your impulse to destroy her professional life.”

Treanor said nothing of the kind. He has saved his position as dean—at least for now—but to do so, he has traded due process and the presumption of innocence for mob justice, made students reluctant to express themselves, and destroyed a woman’s professional reputation. And in all this, Treanor has proven himself the very model of a modern university administrator.
https://www.city-journal.org/georget...tice-activists

It's so easy to find one's self 'canceled' in this era. Sincere, well meaning sentiments mean nothing, and virtue-signaling is not a shield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies