Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 03:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
My Latinx spouse looks white but has ethnic features. we see both of us as white although I try to persuade to embrace the ethnicity so that we as a family can say we are inter-racial and be a protected class, and my great grand father was Jewish so that is another box I can check.
Some of the Northern Chinese have fair skin but Asian features .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 03:46 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Response: Opinion

As far as I understand there are 800 million European " White" people
in the world compared to more than 1 billion of every other race.

Time to stop and think of who the real minority is here........................

Old 03-13-2021, 04:33 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
thats because you are not one of them,you dont live their life and face what they face
Possibly. But let me ask you anyone else something (or anyone else who cares to answer):

How have most blacks benefited from the BLM movement? (Other than having awareness raised as to the problem of police brutality, which I do think is a very real problem in many areas.)

Btw, I was shocked to read the following, in which a black pastor in a Chicago neighborhood had received NO money from the $20 million supposedly collected for the BLM cause.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/reporters...-neighborhoods

P.S. However, I know we are now digressing, as a discussion about blacks have very little to do with the thread's title!

Old 03-13-2021, 04:46 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I know he went to France to get French aid for the American Revolution and had relations with French Women, but he was 70 years old at that point and didn't speak French till he got there. The French seemed to like him a lot, but is there anything quotable and verifiable where he shows an admiration for the French?
I was just thinking back to the John Adam's miniseries with Paul Giamatti, which I assume was somewhat factual, but who knows? They depicted Franklin as being in love with the French culture. The constant parties, the food, and especially the women. And he was treated like a celebrity there. In the series, Franklin never wanted to come back to the USA, and in fact stayed there for almost 10 years when he was finally relieved of his ambassadorship by Thomas Jefferson.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:43 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree. We were a much more cohesive country just 15 years ago, before everyone started worrying about what race everyone was. We were at our best when most people just saw each other as "people" instead of this race or that race.
I don't know if we ever saw each other as just "people", but we certainly didn't think about each other as much back then.

I used to be pretty oblivious to what was going on in the world because I couldn't see it. Now you can't get away from it. It is rammed down your throat everywhere you go. Everything and everyone has changed.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by log9421 View Post
I understand this may be highly subjective and a meaningless distinction, but i am interested from a personal perspective rather than a strict stratified general consensus.

I hope this does not comes across as discourteous, impudent, or Hispanophobic. I mean well and am simply curious...

in particular, from the perspective of anybody who does not identify as Hispanic/Latino.

Conversely, if you are of Latino descent, do you perceive "White Hispanic" people to be or look distinct from "Non-White Hispanic" and "Non-Hispanic White" people?

People need to understand that Hispanic is a political term that confers significant economic benefit to those so classified under Federal law regarding affirmative action.

I am a "white" Hispanic. Since I was born in Latin America, we prefer the term Latino. Hispanic is a invention of Mexicans living in the US. Most Latino's don't have a favorable view of Mexicans. But that is another story.

BTW a large number of Latin Americans are first or second generation Europeans.

I was born in Latin America, from European parents. I have a passport from my birth country. I became a US citizen at age 19.

The Federal government did NOT consider me Hispanic. But then again, due to affirmative action that became a game. So blond, blue eyed "Hispanic's" that have been in this country for generations jumped over me due to their "disadvantage" status. That was ok, but when their spouse went to manage a 100,000 acres of forest land owned by her family, I would question her disadvantage status.

It is a game for economic advantage. At one time, there was a proposal to reframe the "ethnic benefits" in terms of economic status. That would violate the "golden rule", that those with the gold make the rules!! So it never came to pass.

We need to help people that need help. We don't need to help people that are well-off and make them richer still.

It is a good thing that humans are marrying across racial and country origin lines. Class still matters.

Our government needs to focus on helping people in need regardless of race, ethnic status or country of origin.

Am I a Latino with my Latino passport, or do the birthplace of my parents govern my status. And for that matter that "Latino, with blue eyes and blond hair, but a Latino last name" should she get priority status??

Old 03-13-2021, 09:09 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Unlike the other European colonial empires, Spain and Portugal did NOT bring women with them. These colonists obviously mated with the indigenous peoples and African slaves.

The mixing ended up with a hodge podge population with every variation in percentage mixing between the three groups you could imagine. Even a tiny bit of Asian was added in latter on.

What I can see though is that the percentage of Hispanics that are of a pure racial geographic background is not that large. 25% at best including pure indigenous, European, Asian and African.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
White isn't a skin color, it is an ancestry. An albino-African is not white even if he literally has no pigment and cannot tan.

With that said, the concept of "white" is an arbitrary term which can mean different things to different people. The stormfront definition is something like, anyone whose ancestry originates from "Christian Europe", and who is no more than 1/16th other ancestries.

Hitler thought only Germanics(Aryans) were white. Benjamin Franklin didn't even think all Germanics were white. For Americans, if they can't tell you're not white by looking at you, then you're white.

The DNA tests have been pretty hilarious. The media likes to talk about the white people who learn that they're part black. But from what I can tell, most people are more surprised by how white they are. Not just white people who believe they have Native-American ancestry(Elizabeth Warren), but especially black people, who think they are some kind of Nubian Kang, but are actually like 1/3rd white with a European Y-Chromosome. And Hispanics who think they're Aztecs, but they're actually like 90% Spanish/Mediterranean.

But they also want to be part of the group they want to be a part of, and to disassociate themselves from groups they don't want to be part of. Though I think the latter is a stronger impulse than the former.
Ya like the Jessica Alba video found out she was a whitey

Old 03-13-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
My Latinx spouse looks white but has ethnic features. we see both of us as white although I try to persuade to embrace the ethnicity so that we as a family can say we are inter-racial and be a protected class, and my great grand father was Jewish so that is another box I can check.
Latinx? What is this now? Spouse looks white but claiming interracial? Great grandfather Jewish? So white people trying to get special minority benefits?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The tragedy of this whole racial mess is the old boomer element had largely forgot about race. THEN CAME OBAMA and lit the fires on the divide and hatred today. Every black person now is virtuos and pure and a victim, while whites are scum out to get them. The libs want to eliminate cops while most crime in black community is black on black, so getting rid of police actually hurts blacks the most. Obammie apparently wants civil war, he just might get it.
All orchestrated by the Bolshevik slime. And too many are too stupid to realize it. My own step mother and my father in law. Fools. White people in their 60s and 70s....not deep thinkers. .and I’m white by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies