Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 11:04 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times

Advertisements

I had a Spanish professor from Argentina once and racially she's no different from non hispanic white Americans.

The thing of it is, the white identity, regardless of what the census defines, here in this country has always been reliant on how closely aligned one's culture is to the standards of mainstream white America. There was an assimilation process, either through alienation from one's own culture norms, intermarrying into Anglo society or accepted white people, or alienation from other oppressed groups( historically blacks) and anything considered a hindrance to assimilation into the (white) American identity. Following this pattern, I guess for white hispanics to be accepted into the fold, they would have to give up speaking Spanish( at least publicly), intermarry more often, and maybe go as far as alienate themselves from their brown and black country folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 09:53 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The thing of it is, the white identity, regardless of what the census defines, here in this country has always been reliant on how closely aligned one's culture is to the standards of mainstream white America.
Are there racial differences? What are they? Is it only skin color?

How many races are there? And what race is someone of mixed-ancestry?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:21 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
There are lighter than a lot of Mediterraneans, but they ain't white. Though I don't suppose they want to be. You could argue that they're not black either. So what are they? What is any "mixed" person? They are their own race, and I suppose they could define it as they want.
Their skin is absolutely white, hence the reason they could pass as white people during Jim Crow.

The point is “black” comes in all colors.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:44 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by log9421 View Post
I understand this may be highly subjective and a meaningless distinction, but i am interested from a personal perspective rather than a strict stratified general consensus.

I hope this does not comes across as discourteous, impudent, or Hispanophobic. I mean well and am simply curious...

in particular, from the perspective of anybody who does not identify as Hispanic/Latino.

Conversely, if you are of Latino descent, do you perceive "White Hispanic" people to be or look distinct from "Non-White Hispanic" and "Non-Hispanic White" people?
Yes. They are as White as an Italian to me.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:45 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I don't think most people put a lot of thought into it and many people don't understand that Hispanic is an ethnicity, separate from race. Many people treat Hispanic as its own race, especially in the U.S. where a high percentage of Hispanic people are predominantly Native American, be it Central or South American.

Hispanics can be of any race, white, Native American, black, etc. There are plenty of people in South America who have 100% European ancestry, many who moved from Spain and Germany in the late 1800's. They are still Hispanic, yet their race is white.
Then why do the Census want to know if you are Hispanic, or White but not Hispanic or Black but not Hispanic....

Old 03-16-2021, 05:28 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Their skin is absolutely white, hence the reason they could pass as white people during Jim Crow.

The point is “black” comes in all colors.
Why does anyone care what white is? What does it really mean to be white? If white is merely a skin color, then it is arbitrary and pointless. You might as well call people brown or tan or beige or olive or whatever.

Look at this image.

https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/10...2/F3.large.jpg

It comes from this article from the National Academy of Sciences website.

https://www.pnas.org/content/102/44/15942

It shows the extent of genetic distance based on a geographic distance matrix. The open circles represent geographic space, and the diamonds and crosses represent genetic positioning.

If you look at Africa, you can see that the geographic space(open circles) are pretty close to each other, with one purple circle(North Africa) next to it. But North Africa's genetic space(purple diamond) is close to the other Middle-Eastern and European genetic clusters. Also, South Asians pool very closely to Europe and the Middle-East, even though their geographic space(the blue open circles) are further away.

But what's really interesting from the graphic is that in Africa the populations are geographically very close(red circles), but their genetic distance is very far. This is because the sheer amount of genetic diversity is as great if not greater in Africa than all of the rest of the world combined.

What then is race? Are all Africans the same race? And what is genetic distance? What do these genes do? And what race would a hybrid be?

I would assume if you were to "mix" an African with a European, the genetic-distance would be on average half as much. And that each mix after would narrow the distance again by half. But at any point you could simply stop and define this mix as a new race, just like mixing a Poodle with a Labrador-retriever creates a new breed called a Labradoodle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labradoodle

What we have here is a bunch of Poodles who don't want to be mixed with Labradors. And a bunch of people debating what percentage of Poodle you need to be to be considered a Poodle. With many claiming that as long as you look like a Poodle then you are a Poodle.

It is a very strange conversation, and it misses the point.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:59 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Yes. All “white Hispanic” means is a white person who speaks Spanish and/or coming from a Spanish-speaking nation.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:31 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by log9421 View Post
I understand this may be highly subjective and a meaningless distinction, but i am interested from a personal perspective rather than a strict stratified general consensus.

I hope this does not comes across as discourteous, impudent, or Hispanophobic. I mean well and am simply curious...

in particular, from the perspective of anybody who does not identify as Hispanic/Latino.

Conversely, if you are of Latino descent, do you perceive "White Hispanic" people to be or look distinct from "Non-White Hispanic" and "Non-Hispanic White" people?
To be clear: "White people" are people with heritage entirely from the continent of EUROPE.

If someone is from Mexico, or Puerto Rico, or Cuba, and their ancestors are entirely from Europe (for example, Spain) then yes, they are WHITE.

That's why I have a real problem with people like Ted Cruz, or Marco Rubio, because I believe both of them are probably 100% WHITE EUROPEAN, but they play that "vote for me because I'm 'Hispanic'" trash card. I can't stand politicians who play that poisonous divisive identity politics card crap.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
{snip}

What we have here is a bunch of Poodles who don't want to be mixed with Labradors. And a bunch of people debating what percentage of Poodle you need to be to be considered a Poodle. With many claiming that as long as you look like a Poodle then you are a Poodle.

It is a very strange conversation, and it misses the point.
And those poodles who are not purebred will be seen as lesser versions, just as people who claim to be black but are mixed race, are not accepted as "a real black person." Remember how Obama was maligned by "authentic blacks" back in 2008, because he was "not black enough?" So the same people putting everyone in a racial box, are also bigoted and discriminatory against mixed race people. Even if the person standing in that racial box is 100% of that race, the bigots will still discriminate against them for their political, ideological or religious beliefs. It never ends with these people. they are the true racist bigots. The sooner we ignore them and cast aside their destructive race centric babbling, the better it will be for our nation.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Where's Tritone on this? He's usually getting all worked up about Hispanics, always calling them white.

Last edited by silverkris; 03-16-2021 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies