Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 02:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
We consider Italians in America white people so why would we question those of Hispanic background different?
Because when people think of Hispanic they aren't thinking of Ted Cruz. They're thinking of the 5-foot tall Mayan day-laborer in front of Home Depot.

If you asked the vast majority of Americans what a Hispanic looks like, they'll describe the illegal-immigrants in the migrant caravans. Illegal-immigrants aren't Spaniards, they're Mestizos and Amerindians. That is what a Hispanic is for most Americans, a dark brown Amerindian-mix who is not white.

The term "White Hispanic" is mostly a recent invention. Used by Spaniards to disassociate themselves from Amerindians, and lefties who want to call people like George Zimmerman white so they can call him racist(even though George Zimmerman isn't even a White-Hispanic, he is a mestizo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about they just considered themselves Americans.
If you want to call them a true but rather meaningless term, just call them human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Even in Latin American many that considers themselves white is not white (to the white European American, Canadian, Australian or Western/Northern European people).
True. But many don't even consider 100% Spanish and Italians to be white. Or Greeks, or certain Eastern Europeans. Benjamin Franklin thought only the British and Northern Germans were white, and he basically wanted to ban all immigration except from those parts of the world.

Quote:
"The Number of purely white People in the World is proportionately very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? Why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red?" - Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 02:58 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by log9421 View Post
I understand this may be highly subjective and a meaningless distinction, but i am interested from a personal perspective rather than a strict stratified general consensus.

I hope this does not comes across as discourteous, impudent, or Hispanophobic. I mean well and am simply curious...

in particular, from the perspective of anybody who does not identify as Hispanic/Latino.

Conversely, if you are of Latino descent, do you perceive "White Hispanic" people to be or look distinct from "Non-White Hispanic" and "Non-Hispanic White" people?
A large percentage of “Hispanic” people are European and look white so yes they are white

Old 03-13-2021, 03:05 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are pretty much white hispanics. There are not the same race as David Ortiz from the Boston RedSox.
Eh, they're all the same. Democrats just can't accept that Hispanics/Latinos can very conservative and politically diverse.

I was in the Dominican Republican, they do not consider themselves to be "black" in any way regardless of skin tone which could be as light as Canelo Alvarez or as dark as Sammy Sosa (pre skin bleaching). They consider Haitians to be "black."

The takeaway is everyone wants to be their own person, and not generalized into one big group.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:50 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
If blue-eyed Cameron Diaz or Christina Aguilera or Frankie Muniz didn't have Spanish surnames, would anyone have a clue they were Hispanic? How many people are even aware that Louis CK, Vanna, White, and the late Sammy Davis Jr. are/were Hispanic (though certainly nobody would mistake the lattermost as "White Hispanic")? What do any of these people have in common with, say, the derby-hat-wearing Quechua ladies in the mountains of Peru?

It's such an arbitrary designation -- why for instance should the people on one side of the island of Hispanola be considered Hispanic while people on the other side are not when the only practical difference is the language they speak? "Well, you USED to be a Spanish colony, but then your side of the island became a French colony before gaining independence, so you're not Hispanic any more." Huh?

Last edited by Bitey; 03-13-2021 at 03:58 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
A large percentage of “Hispanic” people are European and look white so yes they are white
White isn't a skin color, it is an ancestry. An albino-African is not white even if he literally has no pigment and cannot tan.

With that said, the concept of "white" is an arbitrary term which can mean different things to different people. The stormfront definition is something like, anyone whose ancestry originates from "Christian Europe", and who is no more than 1/16th other ancestries.

Hitler thought only Germanics(Aryans) were white. Benjamin Franklin didn't even think all Germanics were white. For Americans, if they can't tell you're not white by looking at you, then you're white.

The DNA tests have been pretty hilarious. The media likes to talk about the white people who learn that they're part black. But from what I can tell, most people are more surprised by how white they are. Not just white people who believe they have Native-American ancestry(Elizabeth Warren), but especially black people, who think they are some kind of Nubian Kang, but are actually like 1/3rd white with a European Y-Chromosome. And Hispanics who think they're Aztecs, but they're actually like 90% Spanish/Mediterranean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The takeaway is everyone wants to be their own person, and not generalized into one big group.
But they also want to be part of the group they want to be a part of, and to disassociate themselves from groups they don't want to be part of. Though I think the latter is a stronger impulse than the former.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 03-13-2021 at 05:07 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 04:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Leftist?? Pfft
Political derangement is NOT the same as inherited SKIN COLOR!!!!

Pffft indeed!

Old 03-13-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Why for instance should the people on one side of the island of Hispanola be considered Hispanic while people on the other side are not when the only practical difference is the language they speak? "Well, you USED to be a Spanish colony, but then your side of the island became a French colony before gaining independence, so you're not Hispanic any more." Huh?
To be fair, the DNA in Haiti is probably less than 1% Spanish. Haiti was developed by the French, then during the Haitian Revolution the blacks killed pretty much all the white people and most of the mulattoes.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:51 AM

7,340 posts, read 3,514,319 times
My Latinx spouse looks white but has ethnic features. we see both of us as white although I try to persuade to embrace the ethnicity so that we as a family can say we are inter-racial and be a protected class, and my great grand father was Jewish so that is another box I can check.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:06 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Race isn't about skin color as all races can be very light to dark regardless of their race. Race is about genetics not skin color. Most Latinos/Hispanics who have migrated to the U.S. or live south of our border are of mixed race they aren't just plain ole white regardless of their skin color. I don't care which of their racial makeups one wants to identify with as they are what they are genetically and you can't pick and choose.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:16 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is a fact. Most Hispanics are of mixed Indian and Spanish ancestry. Most of them are however culturally of a Spanish background. They speak the Spanish language and have mostly Spanish culture. For this reason I consider them to be white peoples because of their Spanish background.

We consider Italians in America white people so why would we question those of Hispanic background different?
The Spanish conquered and mated with the Amerindians and that is why most of them speak Spanish but that doesn't change the fact that they are just as much Amerindian as they are white Spanish racially. So they are of mixed race not just plain ole white. Italians did not do so and that's why most are plain ole white racially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies