Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I missed that but don’t doubt it. You are actually one of the people on the left I appreciate, as much as that might surprise you.

My post was to BruSan, not you.
Fair enough it was a broad brush. And yeah, I am sort of surprised. We play rough sometimes. But when I am wrong...I will eat it. I hate it when it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 08:35 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I got stuck in a COVID ward due to pneumonia(not COVID) and I can tell you that the folks there where pretty busy and the hospital itself had to do some reorganization to handle the number of patients. Even the room I was in was not designed to hold Patients long term, it was a observation room meant to hold patients over night and the Children's' emergency room had been converted into the area to handle COVID patients come in. Oh, I also didn't hear anyone coughing or sneezing except for me....due to the fact that door to the room was closed all of the time and they had some really good cough medicine(LOL!). Anyway I got stuck due to the fact that they couldn't process the COVID test at the rate that was expected. Instead of two days, it took 3 to get the result of negative and the rapid test took 2 days also negative.

It is real, very real.
Of course it is real and it is worse than the annual flu. That is why I noted my own experience as "anecdotal". It is just weird. In years past, I have always noted people just randomly coughing or sneezing and frequently during winter. Out and about you would always hear someone coughing or hacking. Just weird that over the past 12 months, I have barely ever heard a cough or a sneeze. I don't know what to think of it but I have never said Covid isn't a real virus with real risk to the very old, and those with co-morbidities.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:42 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
On a Winter day if you see your breath with a mask on its not stopping the virus. Water droplets are Hugh compared to the Covid.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Hey now. She heard it in MSNBC so it must be true. CNN even said the exact same thing!
Hey now. I'm a retired Respiratory Therapist and an N95 is absolutely the right mask for Covid or any other airborne pathogen. That's what we use in the hospitals and that's what I had to be fit tested with every year. I only wear N95's in enclosed public spaces. Ditto with my better half. Neither one of us has even had so much as a cold in over a year now.

Maybe do some reading in a medical journal instead of polluting with your partisan hate.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:52 AM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If COVID 19 were airborne then he/she might have point. But it's not. However in his/her defense, COVID 19 does not require droplets. It's sort of a "tweener". And that's what makes it hard for anti maskers to understand. Too complicated.
Per the CDC, transmission of COVID-19 is primarily through the air in droplets and aerosols. A bare virus is fragile and has a short half-life. It is these aerosols that a mask is intended to block, and the primary focus is on stopping the communication of COVID-19 from an infected person. Blocking incoming aerosols is more limited, although the N95 mask provides good protection.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So, what happens to the droplets after they hit your mask?

Masks absorb the droplets. The 0.1 micron particle is now on the surface of your mask. Every time you inhale, you draw that 0.1 micron particle deeper and into your mask until you eventually inhale it. A 0.1 micron particle will pass through damp or wet masks even more easily.
That is why you should wash or dispose of your mask after use. The primary benefit of masks is to block the emission of aerosols from asymptomatic individuals. Most masks are not as effective at blocking inbound aerosols because the air can come in around the sides, although they are better than nothing.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:29 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
That is why you should wash or dispose of your mask after use. The primary benefit of masks is to block the emission of aerosols from asymptomatic individuals. Most masks are not as effective at blocking inbound aerosols because the air can come in around the sides, although they are better than nothing.
Right you are but who does? Most people are going to keep disposable masks as long as possible, and likely won't clean cloth masks nearly as often as they should. I would guess many people never clean their cloth masks.

Don't even get me started about fit.

I am HAZWOPER trained (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) and I used to give training and perform fit-testing for half-mask respirators for co-workers to work in areas with PVC, gasoline fumes, and other volatile organic compounds in the soil, lead abatement containment areas.

Mask fit was critical.

Fit testing involved having staff put on a half face respirator as tight as they could stand and then exposing them to a caustic but harmless smoke for 20 seconds. I would ask everybody, "Does it fit right? No gaps? As tight as you can stand".

Yep, everybody would say they were good to go. Then I would "test" the first person with the caustic smoke by releasing a light stream of it under their chin. After 5-10 seconds, they would be coughing like mad with their eyes watering. Then I would say "next" and everybody would tighten their half-face masks like crazy.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Right you are but who does? The vast majority of people seem to just hang their mask in the car and leave it there for, who knows how long? I would bet most people replace their mask only when it is lost or damaged. Cloth masks are washed at some point but may go weeks between washings. Who knows? Those medical masks are probably worn days on end to weeks, until they fall off in a parking lot somewhere or a strap just breaks outright after stretching out for weeks.

Don't even get me started about fit.

I am HAZWOPER trained (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) and I used to give training and perform fit-testing for half-mask respirators for co-workers to work in areas with PVC, gasoline fumes, and other volatile organic compounds in the soil. Fit was critical.

Fit testing involved having staff put on a half face respirator as tight as they could stand and then exposing them to a caustic but harmless smoke for 20 seconds. I would ask everybody, "Does it fit right? No gaps? As tight as you can stand".

Yep, everybody would say they were good to go. Then I would "test" the first person with the caustic smoke by releasing a light stream of it under their chin. After 5-10 seconds, they would be coughing like mad with their eyes watering. Then I would say "next" and everybody would tighten their half-face masks like crazy.
True. What I do is keep multiple masks at hand then rotate between them once a day. By the time I re-use a mask it's been 4-5 days; presumably long enough for the surface exposure to kill the virus. I also use neck gaiters on top to give the mask a better seal around my face, while rotating between those as well. I've found this approach to be comfortable for breathing. (I have tried other mask types and combinations, but they were more uncomfortable.) It's not a perfect system, but I'm at least trying to follow the science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies