Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 12:33 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did you see my question on page 1?

Thanks - glad you are OK.
I did see your question. I thought I answered it. I was commenting on the other post about the pregnant woman because it’s sad, I do believe the vaccine may have caused her miscarriage, and I was shocked that they are recommending pregnant women get the vaccine in the first place. If this was a flu shot that they have been giving for decades I would be okay with recommendations to get flu shots for pregnant women, but a new vaccine that works completely differently than prior vaccines that was rushed through the approval process? Not a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 12:54 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I got the vaccine on Wednesday. They asked if i was taking blood thinners and a whole host of other drugs, prescription or over the counter. Asked if I had ever had allergic reactions to vaccines or anaphylactic shock or a whole host of afflictions. You just have to answer truthfully.

Life is risky but that doesn’t mean the vast majority are going to have issues. Clearly it’s a handful just as with any other drug or vaccine.

Already hospitalizations from Covid are dropping like a rock in my area so clearly the vaccines being put into the arms of a lot of seniors is having a noticeable impact. I’m willing to live with the risk to get back to normal.
Or die because you couldn't get back to normal.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The first one is the easy one. Most have no side effects at all.

The SECOND one is the one you need to prepare for. Don't expect to be able use your arm the next day, and expect to feel tired and achy. That too, shall pass. ;D
The second does seems to impact each person differently. Some experience nothing beyond a moderately sore arm, while others feel quite sick for 24-48 hours. A neighbor of mine, 75, overweight, hypertension and diabetes expected the worst after the second dose. She experienced nothing and was thrilled to be able to book a trip to Aruba. Another, mid 60’s , healthy, slept fo 24 hours and felt nauseous for several days.

It’s a wild card.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:55 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I got my second moderna shot this week. Had no real reaction from shot #1 aside from a sore arm and a slight headache. Shot #2 took me down. I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever of 101, chills, body aches, fatigue. Lasted that whole day. I woke up the next day, and it was all magically gone. If COVID is anything like that, I am very happy that my reactions were from a vaccine, and not the disease itself.
Yeah most of our friends and neighbors had fairly mild reactions but some did have nasty reactions like you did, one even got laid-up for 3-4 days and had to go to hospital briefly, but then recovered and is doing a lot better. No one that we know personally has had a deadly reaction to the Moderna or Pfizer, the reports that concern us are ex. the cases where health care workers in our hospital have had scarier stuff going on, I guess the sort of thing that gets reported on that C.D.C. database. One had a miscarriage shortly after getting the shot-- she apparently didn't know she was pregnant because Afaik it's not yet been tested in pregnant women, although it isn't yet clear if it's related to the vaccine (though they said none of her sisters or parents had any history of miscarriages). Another got Bell's palsy, though they didn't say anything about how severe it was, I've heard some people have it for weeks and are debilitated, others have it for just a couple days and it's nothing more than their smile being a bit off.

So who really knows. Overall we're in a high risk group so I feel like we'd be better off risking the vaccine than risking getting COVID. But we still can't rid of all the nagging doubts entirely because it's hard to know what's going to develop 2 or 3 years from now if indeed there's something weird for these vaccines. We might be less nervous it was the same sort of system used in the old polio vaccines, but this is a brand-new way of making and delivering vaccines so even our own doctors have no idea what to tell us. In cases like yours when someone has a severe reaction, could that be indicating some kind of tissue damage that might show up in some other way as a chronic issue later? Honestly I doubt it, but things get trickier if the vaccines are effective only in the short term and we wind up having to get it again and again. That's why the reports of people getting nasty COVID even after vaccination are concerning, like in Despite vaccinations — Covid outbreak at BC care home declared
as we're talking about in the other thread. This means we'd probably need repeated does over and over, and if something bad is going on with the shots, even if it's no big deal for one or two shots, that could change with repeated injections. That's what makes this decision hard, even for those of us willing to get the shot, it's not obvious when exactly to get it, or if we should wait on more information on things like how long any protection might last. And then the additional issues with the mutant forms. It just seems like even the experts are working in the dark right now and no one's really totally sure about what to do yet.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:28 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Yeah most of our friends and neighbors had fairly mild reactions but some did have nasty reactions like you did, one even got laid-up for 3-4 days and had to go to hospital briefly, but then recovered and is doing a lot better. No one that we know personally has had a deadly reaction to the Moderna or Pfizer, the reports that concern us are ex. the cases where health care workers in our hospital have had scarier stuff going on, I guess the sort of thing that gets reported on that C.D.C. database. One had a miscarriage shortly after getting the shot-- she apparently didn't know she was pregnant because Afaik it's not yet been tested in pregnant women, although it isn't yet clear if it's related to the vaccine (though they said none of her sisters or parents had any history of miscarriages). Another got Bell's palsy, though they didn't say anything about how severe it was, I've heard some people have it for weeks and are debilitated, others have it for just a couple days and it's nothing more than their smile being a bit off.

So who really knows. Overall we're in a high risk group so I feel like we'd be better off risking the vaccine than risking getting COVID. But we still can't rid of all the nagging doubts entirely because it's hard to know what's going to develop 2 or 3 years from now if indeed there's something weird for these vaccines. We might be less nervous it was the same sort of system used in the old polio vaccines, but this is a brand-new way of making and delivering vaccines so even our own doctors have no idea what to tell us. In cases like yours when someone has a severe reaction, could that be indicating some kind of tissue damage that might show up in some other way as a chronic issue later? Honestly I doubt it, but things get trickier if the vaccines are effective only in the short term and we wind up having to get it again and again. That's why the reports of people getting nasty COVID even after vaccination are concerning, like in Despite vaccinations — Covid outbreak at BC care home declared
as we're talking about in the other thread. This means we'd probably need repeated does over and over, and if something bad is going on with the shots, even if it's no big deal for one or two shots, that could change with repeated injections. That's what makes this decision hard, even for those of us willing to get the shot, it's not obvious when exactly to get it, or if we should wait on more information on things like how long any protection might last. And then the additional issues with the mutant forms. It just seems like even the experts are working in the dark right now and no one's really totally sure about what to do yet.
There is no evidence that the vaccine causes miscarriage. Miscarriages are common, and it will be necessary to show they occur more often in vaccinated patients than unvaccinated patients. Pregnant women are at increased risk for severe disease, and it has been shown to infect the placenta and the fetus.

The outbreak in the BC care home was is its short term care unit, which sounds like a rehab unit.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...hort-stay-unit

"According the number released by de Villiers, seven of the 11 patients infected had not yet received a vaccination, "perhaps because they were in short-stay and didn't qualify under their age group."

Two people who were fully vaccinated also caught the virus."

It does not say how long after the second dose of vaccine those two developed symptoms.

It is not yet known whether booster doses will even be necessary. That will depend on whether vaccinated people start getting infected in significant numbers in the future.

Any concerns about the vaccines have to be weighed against the risks of the disease.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:10 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The J&J vaccine reported few, if any, reactions.

J&J is a perfect alternative for folks that don't want to get Moderna or Pfizer. J&J's vaccine technology has been around for decades.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:12 PM

140 posts, read 234,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68
Life is risky but that doesn’t mean the vast majority are going to have issues. Clearly it’s a handful just as with any other drug or vaccine.
Life is even riskier when you let them inject stuff into you that you have no idea whats in it!!

I hope your gonna be FINE Katy (And everyone else who gets it)

Old 03-13-2021, 06:13 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergesn View Post
Life is even riskier when you let them inject stuff into you that you have no idea whats in it!!

I hope your gonna be FINE Katy (And everyone else who gets it)
The ingredients are public information. No reason not to know what is in them.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:26 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
As of March 3rd..

As of March 3, the CDC has received reports of 97,458 adverse events with 1,381 deaths in people who have taken at least one dose of the approved COVID-19 vaccines.

That's just what's reported to the CDC. Heard anything about that? Probably not.

COVID-19 vaccine side effects & deaths: The lack of information on how, where to report

"I am an ICU nurse," the woman, whom 2News is not identifying, wrote. "I am highly exposed to COVID patients. I am a firm believer in vaccines. I felt strongly that I needed to get the vaccine. Unfortunately, I found out that baby girl no longer had a heart beat last week. The size of baby at time of miscarriage correlates within a few days of my first dose of Pfizer vaccine. We had already heard baby girl's heart beat and were told that we had a less than 5% chance of miscarriage. I will never know if it was the vaccine, but I will always wonder. I am now fully vaccinated, but with my experience I don't think I would do it again."
You missed adding this sentence from the article:
Dr. Sheffield with Intermountain notes the CDC has reported “they have no known deaths caused from vaccine.”

That would be zero. So let's look at the numbers:

All numbers as of today for the United States:

Vaccinated: 68.9 million people have gotten at least one shot
Deaths: 0

Covid Illnesses:29.4 million people have had a positive Covid test in the United States
Deaths: 532,000

Old 03-13-2021, 06:32 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergesn View Post
Do you know exactly what is in tetanus vaccine? I don't.

The information is publicly available since that is how things work in this country, but I haven't bothered to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies