Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 03:14 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wrong.

Black Americans owned slaves for the same reason white Americans owned slaves, to make money.

Facts are facts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver..._United_States

You don't have 3700 black slave-owners who owned 12000 slaves, and they're all related.

On the topic of slavery, we blacks are just as guilty as anyone and we profited off it just like everyone else.
So 0.6 % of slaves were owned by blacks in 1830.

There were also Jews in Hitler's Army including roughly 25 generals. So it's fair to say that some Jews may have been involved with the Holocaust as Nazi perpetrators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 03:26 PM

1,411 posts, read 564,891 times
My great-great grandfather served in the Civil War ( 15th Penna. Cav.), so I reckon I should be due a nice stipend.
Truth be told, the way this once great country is declining., I wish I could go back in time & tell him not to bother; in the end, it won't be worth it.
Plus, he won't want to be seen as a symbol of "white supremacy."

Old 03-17-2021, 02:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If reparations on a national level were to happen would we first have to establish how Black a person must be in order to receive reparations?
It would be more accurate to determine how much slave ancestry one must have in their bloodline in order to be considered eligible (I'll explain why that's important in a sec.) If reparations were to be such a thing, we should also determine who owes it? (One could conclude that those responsible would have a bloodline of slave acquisition/ trade/ ownership in their ancestry).

Would you be upset if someone with a legitimate, direct ancestral bloodline to slave owners were to receive reparations? If you answered yes, we would be in agreement.

According to the US Census 1860 (the height of US slavery) there were close to 4 million slaves. Keep in mind that the census did not publish actual percentages but the following can be derived from total free population/ total slave population and total slave owner population. page xii on this link will provide the official non-white, non-jewish slave and slave owner counts from the 1860 US Census
  • 1.4% of the entire US population were slave owners
  • 68% of US slave owners were Black or Mulatto (40% Black 28% Mulatto)
  • 26% of US slave owners were ethnic Jews
  • The remaining 6% of US slave owners were non-Jewish White

If these figures shock you and conflict with what we all learned in school, we should examine those who decided what goes into the history books (and believe me, they could have derived a more accurate depiction of US slavery) but why did they not?

So the black Doctor who operates beside you? his or her ancestors may have owned yours.
The Nigerian Uber driver? his or her ancestors may have traded an entire shipload of yours for a purse of silver, some swords and a rudimentary telescope.
A rabbi's ancestors may have enriched themselves running ships full of your ancestors across the Atlantic.
And yes, a white person's ancestors may have owned yours but the statistics above (at least for 1860) indicate that such a case would be less likely than the others.

Trying to arrive at accountability is infinitely more complex than the MSM, academic and political narratives of 'Take white people money and give it to black people'. I'd be absolutely fascinated if someone were to propose an accurate, elegant proposal. Maybe it comes down to plotting DNA results against slave trade ledgers.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Wait, my parents were held as slaves by the Germans for five years. Shouldn't they get some reparations for that period of time??

Slavery is awful. Maybe this reparations issue needs to be kicked up to the United Nations and ALL THE PEOPLE held as slaves be fully repatriated across the entire planet.
I assume you are referring to the German occupation in WWII, in which case they were prisoners of war, not slaves. They did and still do get reparations from Germany. You should read more.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've been curious about how slave reparations would apply to multiracial people like Tiger Woods?

You also have Black-Americans like ADOS(American Descendants Of Slaves)who believe that U.S slave reparations should only apply to U.S Black people only.
Or Barak Obama who inherits his Kenyan descent from BO Sr. Guess he wouldn't get anything.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny that Native Americans are never included in the reparation talk. They had their land and culture stripped from them and still live in a extreme poverty while many black youth have never gone without running water or electricity and have no problem getting into colleges and being employed.

If we want racism to die in America than reparation talk needs to die. Feeling like you are entitled because of the color of your skin is ironically being a racist.
Native American owned slaves as well.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:13 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I never check “white” on any application. Does “other” qualify?

When they ask for race, I generally fill in "human".

Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Can we just call these latest Stimulus checks Reparations and move on? ;p

or is the intention to drag others down while doing it?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:21 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Many white people are part black. Meagan Markle comes to mind. Many black people are part white. In fact, it's almost impossible to find a black person descended from slaves that is not at least partially white. And let's be honest. At the end of the day, every human being can trace their lineage back to the same common ancestor and everyone from everywhere is a lot more mixed than we think we are. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ommonly-think/

So if you're 1/4 black, do you get reparations? If you're a Nigerian whose parents immigrated in the 1960's, do you get reparations? If you're a fresh immigrant from Haiti or Jamaica, do you get reparations?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
He came here as an indentured servant in 1645 and was sold to Puritans in Massachusetts . Put my name on the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies