Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 07:07 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
In 2016 there were 350,000 more democrat voters than republicans in Florida vs the end of 2020 it was around 130K. There's currently 5.30 million registered Democrats and 5.17 million registered Republicans in the state – an edge of about 134,000 voters in favor of the Democrats (October 2020). But the size of that margin has fallen from 327,000 in 2016 and 658,000 in 2008.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...nk-since-2016/

Florida seems to be becoming increasing red while Texas is becoming increasingly purple. Republicans NEED both Texas and Florida to offset California. In spite of the trends independents are still the key to either party winning.
I would say no. Based on actual stats there are more democrats in the state than republicans. It is just the advantage of republican's to vote for Governor and other high positions in off presidential years.

As of Jan 31, 2021
Total Republicans 5,188,520
Total Democrats 5,299,096
No Party 3,810,837

https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/...nty-and-party/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 07:13 AM

35,696 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The advantage Fl. has in staying a red state is the commonsense Governor !!!

GOP governor tells how his state handled Covid better than blue stateshttps://www.foxnews.com/media/floridas-ron-desantis-slams-bidens-disasterous-border-policy

Florida's Ron DeSantis slams Biden's 'disastrous' border policy: 'Trump had it right'
The Republican governor also explains how Florida managed the coronavirus pandemic better than the the blue states did

DeSantis noted that during his time in office Florida has "banned sanctuary cities" and instituted E-Verify, a web-based system that helps employers assure that their employers are legally eligible to work in the U.S.

"We viewed it as a virus that was particularly dangerous for elderly people but not as dangerous for younger people so we did the opposite [from New York] on nursing homes," he said
And how many dead ? Everify has been around for years from DHS - I know I retired from there and worked with the program for a time. But as normal- keep the lies going Disantis. As for a red state. Wait until next year.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:17 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
You first.

I already did. Time to walk away from both parties.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Most new voter registrations in Florida is non-party affiliated. One cannot tell what how a non-party affiliated voter will vote based on their registration. Many really vote R or D on a consistent basis but still register as non-party. Most young voters which register for the first time in Florida choose non-party affiliation.

The number of non-party affiliated voters in Florida is 3.8 million. Ds and Rs have a little over 5 million in each party in Florida. A decade ago, non-affiliated in FL had 2.5 million registrations.
I moved to Florida last summer from Texas. Unlike Texas, where you don't have to register political affiliation, you do in Florida. I was going to register as an Independent, which I am, but I was told if I did I wouldn't be able to vote in the primaries. I was basically forced to pick R or D if I wanted to participate in the primaries. I wouldn't put much stock into how folks are registered in Florida as a result.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:59 AM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
More retirees moving to Florida? Well that could balance out what's happening in Texas. The Republicans are legislating voter suppression in the South, so that should keep them in power there for a few more years. It will be interesting to see what impact HR 1 has.
HR 1 is the key to what elections will be like in 2022 and beyond.

If the Democrats get their way, the election will be decided by whoever has the most registrations. The days of people not voting will not matter anymore. Just print empty ballots and have them ready to equal the number of registered Democratic voters.

I’m hoping Republicans will fight this bill, and even if they lose and Biden signs off on it, challenge it in the Supreme Court. I’m gonna assume that if McConnell wants the Bill killed by SCOTUS, the judges will listen to him.

Of course, I thought they were going to do that in 2020, but I was dead wrong as Roberts punted.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:05 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
I moved to Florida last summer from Texas. Unlike Texas, where you don't have to register political affiliation, you do in Florida. I was going to register as an Independent, which I am, but I was told if I did I wouldn't be able to vote in the primaries. I was basically forced to pick R or D if I wanted to participate in the primaries. I wouldn't put much stock into how folks are registered in Florida as a result.
In Florida, you can register as No Party Affiliation and not be registered as member of any political party. Not sure why you thought you must choose a party in Florida, because you don't have to.

It is true that Florida has closed primaries. This means you must be a registered R to vote in the R primary or registered D to vote in the D primary.

Florida has over 3 million registered voters that aren't affiliated with any political party. Non party registration is the fastest growing registration in Florida.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:24 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Quote:
I moved to Florida last summer from Texas. .... I was basically forced to pick R or D if I wanted to participate in the primaries......
Quote:
In Florida, you can register as No Party Affiliation and not be registered as member of any political party. Not sure why you thought you must choose a party in Florida, because you don't have to.

It is true that Florida has closed primaries. This means you must be a registered R to vote in the R primary or registered D to vote in the D primary. ....
I think you answered your own question to CLR210.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:29 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I think you answered your own question to CLR210.
My point is, you can't assume if someone is registered as an R or a D that they'll vote that way, especially as a straight ticket voter (which I am not)

Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
My point is, you can't assume if someone is registered as an R or a D that they'll vote that way, especially as a straight ticket voter (which I am not)
Reasonably assume would be 'more' accurate.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:08 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Quote:
Quote:

It is true that Florida has closed primaries. This means you must be a registered R to vote in the R primary or registered D to vote in the D primary.

Florida has over 3 million registered voters that aren't affiliated with any political party. Non party registration is the fastest growing registration in Florida.
I have been registered as NPA, though I tend to always vote Republican, since I moved to Florida almost 30 years ago. For the 2020 Election, I changed my party affiliation to Democrat so that I could vote in the primary because I felt strongly about a couple of local elections. Whoever won the Democrat primary was certain to win the general election and I wanted a voice in who that would be. With online voting registration, this kind of switching is pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies