Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 12:42 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times

Advertisements

Mask mandates made no statistical difference in covid infections.

https://texasscorecard.com/federal/c...LlW0AQqL68zYjo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 12:43 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Such a bizarre thing to be so mad about, especially with all the real government overreach going on.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 03-15-2021, 12:48 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAnulty View Post
Your straw man is noted, but the fact is that the flu is down significantly as well. In parts of Asia, mask where existed prior to Covid.

But again, your lack of interest in science and clearly un-Christian views are noted.
Yep. I dont think we had a single case of the flu this year did we. Therefore as I said we should wear masks all time, permanently. Of course Im sure shut downs and distancing factored in, so we should continue that too.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:50 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
No, nope, and nope.

We do not need to do it for the flu because the flu (in modern times) has never threatened to overwhelm the health care system. We do what needs done - masks, distance, whatever - NOT (mainly) to prevent illness or death - NOPE - but to prevent hospitals from being swamped. That's it. Once that risk is gone, then it'll be back to The Usual. Folks will get covid, and some will still die, but - c'est la vie. That's how it is. That's why Covid is NOT the flu.
Yeah well the overwhelming of the healthcare system was short lived and quite spotty don't you think.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Mask mandates made no statistical difference in covid infections.

https://texasscorecard.com/federal/c...LlW0AQqL68zYjo
That Texas Scorecard linked to a webpage which had links to the actual study.

Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Universal masking and avoiding nonessential indoor spaces are recommended to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.

What is added by this report?

Mandating masks was associated with a decrease in daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates within 20 days of implementation. Allowing on-premises restaurant dining was associated with an increase in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 41–100 days after implementation and an increase in daily death growth rates 61–100 days after implementation.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Mask mandates and restricting any on-premises dining at restaurants can help limit community transmission of COVID-19 and reduce case and death growth rates. These findings can inform public policies to reduce community spread of COVID-19.

The first paragraph of the subsequent discussion was; Mask mandates were associated with statistically significant decreases in county-level daily COVID-19 case and death growth rates within 20 days of implementation. Allowing on-premises restaurant dining was associated with increases in county-level case and death growth rates within 41–80 days after reopening. State mask mandates and prohibiting on-premises dining at restaurants help limit potential exposure to SARS-CoV-2, reducing community transmission of COVID-19.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:02 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep. I dont think we had a single case of the flu this year did we. Therefore as I said we should wear masks all time, permanently. Of course Im sure shut downs and distancing factored in, so we should continue that too.
That is the likely conclusion. If just "tiny bit of inconvenience" saves so many lives, then the inconvenience would be made permanent. After all, we can't place a value on a human life, can we? To not-wear a mask would become tantamount to being insensitive to death itself... and who dares to be so callous?

20 years ago, we had a bit of a ruction over a thing called Islamic terrorism. A few fellows from a disadvantaged part of the world, had the brilliant idea, that the West ought to adopt Islamic values, such as, ahem, distancing and modest attire... the latter being a kind of head-covering. The West was not amused. War resulted. But now - well, I wonder who had the last laugh?

Old 03-15-2021, 01:09 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Nah, I'll wait for the poster to provide a link to the CDC report that confirms his claim. I'm not in the mood to look for something that does not exist, lol.
There were multiple threads about it here on C-D. You were noticeably absent IIRC. Go find them.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:20 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It was never a Pandemic.
Exactly.

Please tell me how a disease that has killed .03% of the global population can be called a pandemic. A disease that has killed .13% of the population of the USA.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The concept isn’t as facile as it sounds on first-blush. If I’m about to step out into traffic, to be killed by a speeding truck within seconds… and you shoot me dead, while I’m still on the sidewalk… technically that’s still murder, but you’ve only robbed me of a few moments of remaining life.

This is why it’s insufficient to run a tally of body-count. We need to be estimating cumulative projected man-years lost.

Your point is insightful and significant. The "Patriot" Act and its ilk are regrettable intrusions into civil liberties, and notably, where championed most vehemently by so-called conservatives. This is all the more reason to rally now, at this instant, to "stand athwart of history". It's just that I don't see any prospect of success.

Masks potentially reduce harm from all sorts of airborne pathogens. The business-case is that employees who mask-up will have fewer sick days. Health insurance customers who mask-up will have fewer medical claims. And so on. Never mind the ‘rona… witness how the winter of 2020-2021 was nearly flu-free. The incentive to mandate masks is overwhelming, as potential cost-savings and reduction in down-time.

Even if somehow governments don’t mandate masks in perpetuity, the so-called “free market” may. Insurance companies would give businesses discounts if they mandate they all employees and customers wear masks. Non-mask-wearing will become the new smoking. Just as smokers are penalized with higher insurance rates, so too, will non-mask-wearers.

Masks are a much smaller overreach than lockdowns/shut-downs. In the comparison amongst the various evils, masks are the more benign. Thus we’ve been cajoled into accepting them.

Of course they help! But they help at a price. Why should we be willing to pay the price?
You are making a lot of assumptions and taking some liberties with 2nd and 3rd order effects. I have an issue with your analysis and the disregard of how markets act on tragedy of the commons dynamics. We dont live in a place where health insurance is compulsory, like car insurance is, IMO you are disregarding the shell game markets play with externalities.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:31 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Exactly.

Please tell me how a disease that has killed .03% of the global population can be called a pandemic. A disease that has killed .13% of the population of the USA.
Words have meanings, the definition of Pandemic is not related to death toll but to how widespread the disease is >1 continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies