Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 01:04 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You realize that masks will likely be done in 2022 right?
Masks will be done for you when you decide that they are. Don't count on the government or whatever authority you're looking at to ever relax those mandates. They'll keep them for as long as you allow it.

It's what government does.

The only time in recent history anyone actually did anything to reduce the level of oppression imposed on us as U.S. citizens, he was run out of office and is currently being threatened from multiple angles with prison.

Love or hate him, think carefully about that.

The government will keep any power you give them. Don't give it up under any pretense, if you don't want to lose it forever.

There are no perfect solutions to complicated problems. Ceding your freedom, any of it, ONLY makes things worse. It's proven again and again, throughout history. If you just give up X, problem Y will be solved.

I promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 03:07 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Last I looked like 23% of the total us population had been vaccinated with at least the first round. IDK but my understanding is the majority of those are going to be elders. Generally elders are in facilities or not very active in the general public. Then front line workers. So basically the general population has not yet been vaccinated.
Given this I dont see how vaccination has made any significant impact on Covid at this point.
Yet the cases and deaths are going down. I don't think the vaccine(s) have a damn thing to do with it. Or masks, for matter. I think a helluva lot of people had it to some degree and got over it... much like common flu.

No question it's more deadly... but clearly not to everyone.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:02 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Masks will be done for you when you decide that they are. Don't count on the government or whatever authority you're looking at to ever relax those mandates. They'll keep them for as long as you allow it.

The only time in recent history anyone actually did anything to reduce the level of oppression imposed on us as U.S. citizens, he was run out of office and is currently being threatened from multiple angles with prison.

The government will keep any power you give them. Don't give it up under any pretense, if you don't want to lose it forever.

There are no perfect solutions to complicated problems. Ceding your freedom, any of it, ONLY makes things worse. It's proven again and again, throughout history. If you just give up X, problem Y will be solved.

I promise.
Yours is the most logical post on this topic, and I agree 100%.
What we attain too easily, we esteem too lightly; our freedoms are not free, but all too often, taken for granted and ceded in the name of the politically correct issue of the day. Many who fought for our liberty and freedom are no longer with us; they paid the ultimate price.
It's beyond time to get back to business, figuratively and literally.

Last edited by TheOldPuss; 03-17-2021 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 06:04 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:

I promise.
Truer words were never spoken. Yet Leftists look to Big Government to control everything. They are criminal.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:33 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
So, I understand that the cloth masks just protect others, not yourself. However, the N-95 masks do give you full protection. Can't the people who are vulnerable or scared just wear the N-95 and allow healthy people decide for themselves if they want to wear a mask or not?

Old 03-17-2021, 08:02 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Masks will be done for you when you decide that they are. ...
Not quite. My employer mandates them, and my coworkers are scrupulously attentive to the cause. I can whinge and grouse and protest, but my only true recourse is to quit. Otherwise, fall into line. It's great to be an armchair libertarian. Certainly, I support the sentiment... quietly, from the rear. But being more of a pragmatist (or a coward?), I dutifully don the face-condom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
What we attain too easily, we esteem too lightly; our freedoms are not free, but all too often, taken for granted and ceded in the name of the politically correct issue of the day. Many who fought for our liberty and freedom are no longer with us; they paid the ultimate price.
It's beyond time to get back to business, figuratively and literally.
And yet we hear incessantly how this is a "stupid hill on which to die", that the matter is trivial; or that we're being selfish ingrates and sophomoric dolts for even daring to suggest that this mask-thing is inconvenient and ought not to persist. And so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Truer words were never spoken. Yet Leftists look to Big Government to control everything. They are criminal.
It isn't just "leftists". The impulse to cover-your-posterior (by covering your anterior?) is universal. Conservatives might grumble more, but most ultimately fall into line.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
So, I understand that the cloth masks just protect others, not yourself. However, the N-95 masks do give you full protection. Can't the people who are vulnerable or scared just wear the N-95 and allow healthy people decide for themselves if they want to wear a mask or not?

No, because the kind of people who are really into wearing masks are into controlling others. They must have sick, sad, pathetic lives in order to place such importance on controlling others.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:31 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
No, because the kind of people who are really into wearing masks are into controlling others. They must have sick, sad, pathetic lives in order to place such importance on controlling others.
Aw

Old 03-18-2021, 02:35 AM

936 posts, read 823,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Honestly, I envy people whose lives have been so easy they feel something as trivial as wearing a cloth mask to help protect other people is oppressive.
And these are the same conservatives who blather on about "how religious they are" and how the GOP is "God's Own Party." Strange how they've never heard of the Golden Rule and don't seem to know how to apply it.

Wearing a mask ISN'T about you or your selfishness. It's about protecting other people from you (just in case you have Covid).

"Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You."

The conservatives are absolutely bereft of any moral or religious belief system. They don't even understand the basic concepts of Christianity 101. I'm sure Jesus is face smacking himself right now.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:38 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Not quite. My employer mandates them, and my coworkers are scrupulously attentive to the cause. I can whinge and grouse and protest, but my only true recourse is to quit. Otherwise, fall into line. It's great to be an armchair libertarian. Certainly, I support the sentiment... quietly, from the rear. But being more of a pragmatist (or a coward?), I dutifully don the face-condom.
Not to be insulting, but I have to go with coward on that.

Being a pragmatist means you solve problems. You’re not solving a problem. You’re accepting it as it is. Unwilling to address it. Kind of the opposite of being pragmatic.

If you stand up to the mandate, maybe someone else will. If two people do, the third won’t feel so scared. If three people do, you have a movement.

It just takes the first person to take that action. Most people are cowards. And then there are pragmatists.

I’d be happy to take that risk for you, but I can’t.

If not you, then who?

We’re not even talking about a life and death situation. You’re giving up your liberty for a job. And you know it. That’s the sad part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies