Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 06:51 PM

34,335 posts, read 18,716,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Fail point.
It was never a Pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 06:51 PM

15,657 posts, read 15,798,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Contrary to the New York Thruway sign, "small ask, wear a mask," mask mandates are gigantic government overreach. Masks take away our faces and make full communication impossible. They also stop children from developing the key part of their brains, the fusiform gyrus by which they will recognize faces and facial expressions for a lifetime. Masks on women are a key feature of authoritarian and jihadist ideology, and a test to see what restrictions on civil liberties the public will tolerate.

I was in favor of masks back when Fauci was telling people not to. Sure they probably help a small amount during outbreaks. However, covid cases are now plummetting everywhere, and we have three approved vaccines plus a dozen more in the pipleine, and they're saying keep wearing two or three masks even after vaccination. Now that the pandemic is over, I believe we need to actively push back against the covid anxiety and germaphobia that has been pounded into people's brains which is why I am now basically a single-issue voter against mask mandates.

Could you give us some examples of experts who are specifically saying to wear 2-3 masks after vaccination? I have not found anyone specifically saying that.

I think it's reasonable to be personally fed up with masks, but it's not reasonable to be backing politicians who are not prioritizing caution and safety.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,901,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Honestly, I envy people whose lives have been so easy they feel something as trivial as wearing a cloth mask to help protect other people is oppressive.
Patriots protect others from their respiratory droplets in the midst of a pandemic.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:12 PM

63,314 posts, read 29,388,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
If you actually believe that anyone wants you to wear a mask forever, you would have to be out of your mind.

We just want this pandemic to subside. That'as it!

The fastest way to accomplish that would be sensible hygiene, right now, including frequent hand washings and masks in public. It's not forever, we just need to be sensible for a time.
Wearing a mask for entire year and then telling us we still have to wear one or two even after being vaccinated is a bit overboard. I don't think anyone has a problem with frequent hand washings anyone with half a brain has been doing that all their lives. It doesn't restrict anyone's freedoms.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 3,695,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's funny how most of the Leftists just roll over for big government over reach and do not have the vision to see the big picture and what is really happening. But, hey it's just a mask.
Well, show everyone what is "really happening"....while overlooking the thousands of deaths having occurred due to what is really happening.

Geez...no wonder we have problems due to some...

Old 03-14-2021, 10:59 PM

140 posts, read 234,970 times
Unhappy  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1
It's funny how most of the Leftists just roll over for big government over reach and do not have the vision to see the big picture and what is really happening. But, hey it's just a mask.
They are too brainwashed to break free Pilot!!!

Old 03-14-2021, 11:38 PM

5,480 posts, read 2,137,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Well, show everyone what is "really happening"....while overlooking the thousands of deaths having occurred due to what is really happening.

Geez...no wonder we have problems due to some...

LOL,,, you STILL buy this BS even though your experts and leaders on the front of all the restrictions have all been caught violating their own mandates and advice...it's almost like they're throwing it in your face that they don't REALLY believe their own BS...yet you still DO!

Old 03-14-2021, 11:59 PM

13,704 posts, read 9,806,354 times
The mask-wars have been lost, just as decades before, the seat-belt wars have been lost.

I viscerally detest masks, and would be ecstatic about their abatement. But that's a mere dream... and increasingly, a pipe-dream. However dreadful it may be, it's only too likely, that society will embrace mask-wearing as an essential gesture of polite public life. To be caught without a mask, would be tantamount to being caught without pants... acceptable in some narrow circumstances, but only narrow indeed.

Some of us remember when seat-belts were optional. It wasn't until the mid-1980s that the culture had massively shifted in favor of seat-belts. Then suddenly, over some half-dozen years, nearly every state passed seat-belt laws. At first seat-belts were subject only to "secondary enforcement", meaning that drivers couldn't be pulled-over for the mere lack of seat-belt usage... they had to first commit some other offense. Then that too changed, and to be a seat-belt scofflaw became a primary offense. I wonder if the same will happen with masks. Regardless, we've lost.

Now on to the next debate, in the tension between personal liberties and "public safety". Some other thing, heretofore odd or unheralded, will suddenly become common, expected, and then legally mandated. And so on.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:04 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,256,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Contrary to the New York Thruway sign, "small ask, wear a mask," mask mandates are gigantic government overreach. Masks take away our faces and make full communication impossible. They also stop children from developing the key part of their brains, the fusiform gyrus by which they will recognize faces and facial expressions for a lifetime. Masks on women are a key feature of authoritarian and jihadist ideology, and a test to see what restrictions on civil liberties the public will tolerate.

I was in favor of masks back when Fauci was telling people not to. Sure they probably help a small amount during outbreaks. However, covid cases are now plummetting everywhere, and we have three approved vaccines plus a dozen more in the pipleine, and they're saying keep wearing two or three masks even after vaccination. Now that the pandemic is over, I believe we need to actively push back against the covid anxiety and germaphobia that has been pounded into people's brains which is why I am now basically a single-issue voter against mask mandates.
Superb post. Thank you for being sane. Those people are now in short supply. +1

Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,543,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think I saw you, the tall brunette lady walking around in Aldi today with no mask. Yeah, nobody said anything about it.
I went to walmart today with no mask. I asked employee 2 days ago if they required them since our governor opened up the state, and was told no.
So today i went in without one. (I had covid, was tired for 1 day. My antibody test was 3 times higher than level needed to be considered positive. So I am not putting anyone at risk.)
When i walked past employee at the door (a young 20ish girl), without a mask, she intentional sprayed a short blast of something (lysol?)after i passed her. I ignored it, thinking how stupid she was in her fabric fashion mask.
No one said anything to me in the store, but i didnt see anyone else without a mask. Their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies