Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 08:24 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Interestingly, it wasn't NorthFace who made this public, and they're refusing to comment specifically about their decision. It was the oil company that made this a public thing.

No one would have noticed if the Oil Company wasn't wearing NorthFace jackets if they hadn't blabbed it themselves.
I never thought I would see the day when a liberal would say that victims of discrimination should keep silent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 08:26 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I never thought I would see the day when a liberal would say that victims of discrimination should keep silent!
HA! Of course they would. If it weren't for double standards, many libs would have no standards at all.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:28 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,658 times
Quote:
Why is making decisions based on your moral beliefs now called "virtue signaling"? Was it "virtue signaling" in the past if you chose not to join a book club because they were a bunch of gossips, or you didn't allow your kids to play at certain friend's houses because the parents were druggies? Was THAT also virtue signaling, or just taking care to associate with people you could trust and value?

Interestingly, it wasn't NorthFace who made this public, and they're refusing to comment specifically about their decision. It was the oil company that made this a public thing.

No one would have noticed if the Oil Company wasn't wearing NorthFace jackets if they hadn't blabbed it themselves.
Even though I do believe like one poster said, using oil fuel to drive their cars, fly their products is hypocritical,it is their business and has a right to sell or not to sell their product.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:30 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Meanwhile Northface employees get in their gasoline powered cars to drive to work, school, grocery store, football practice, doctor’s office, convenient store, etc.

And all their Northface products are shipped via planes, trains, trucks and ships powered by you got it, gasoline.

Hey Northface, why don’t you stop using gasoline altogether? That would make a stronger statement than not selling to an oil company, which is only selling stuff people and companies like Northface that wants and needs it.

To answer the OP, yes it is absolutely virtue signaling. Sadly, many Leftists lap virtue signaling all up because it makes them feel good.
Because the centerpiece of Leftism is Feelings and Emotion. Not REALITY. They live in a little comfy fantasy world.

Northface largely makes consumer crap now anyway. Not anything true outdoorsmen want.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:31 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Why is making decisions based on your moral beliefs now called "virtue signaling"? Was it "virtue signaling" in the past if you chose not to join a book club because they were a bunch of gossips, or you didn't allow your kids to play at certain friend's houses because the parents were druggies? Was THAT also virtue signaling, or just taking care to associate with people you could trust and value?

North Face was probably too embarassed to respond... most of their product line is made of petroleum by-products.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm not liberal, and I'm not suggesting the Oil Company keep silent.

I'm saying it's hard to claim NorthFace is "virtue signaling" when they're not the ones making this decision public. Don't see a lot of "signaling" there.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
North Face was probably too embarassed to respond... most of their product line is made of petroleum by-products.
Since they're not saying, it's hard to know exactly what NorthFace's beef was with this particular oil company. Obviously, within the business, there are companies that are more environmentally conscious, and companies that are less environmentally conscious. NorthFace didn't make a statement that they will not do business with the Petroleum industry.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:47 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,434 times
....added North Face to the burgeoning list of companies that will no longer benefit from my income.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:47 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And yet, fossil fuels are used in the manufacturing of their jackets. Hell, by being in the business of manufacturing clothing, and shipping it around the world North Face is polluting the planet. Geez, these freaking people, they think only their **** doesn't stink.

EXACTLY.

I think boycotts are misguided and virtue signaling has made it worse but money is GREEN.

Ahh the good old days when a company produced a product and sold it to whomever wanted to buy it.

I guess in the case of North Face they want to project a clean outdoor living lifestyle but there is that pesky fact that oil is used in the manufacturing and delivery of their products plus the climate controlled stores where they are sold.

Hypocrites? Maybe.

Imagine the riots that would ensue if North Face refused to sell 400 jackets to say a chapter of the new Black Panther movement because the group did not fit the companies outdoor "image"?

Why is it ok to discriminate against one group but not another?

Old 03-15-2021, 08:51 AM

1,226 posts, read 633,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Meanwhile Northface employees get in their gasoline powered cars to drive to work, school, grocery store, football practice, doctor’s office, convenient store, etc.

And all their Northface products are shipped via planes, trains, trucks and ships powered by you got it, gasoline.

Hey Northface, why don’t you stop using gasoline altogether? That would make a stronger statement than not selling to an oil company, which is only selling stuff people and companies like Northface that wants and needs it.

To answer the OP, yes it is absolutely virtue signaling. Sadly, many Leftists lap virtue signaling all up because it makes them feel good.
I feel the same way about Subaru, the car screams “look at me I’m a bleeding heart Liberal” yet they are burning fossil fuel every time they drive. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies