Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 12:24 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
From that site it says 20.9% of US has received at least one dose.

11.2% of US fully vaccinated.
I was looking at the table of the chart. It says 32.1 total vaccinations out of 100. The EU is 11.2 with that measure. I would assume this means if you got both doses it counts for 2.

Regardless we are doing 3 times better.

The UK is a 37.89. Leaving the EU was actually a life saving move for the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 12:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No it is not.

The EU is at 9.5% who have received at least one dose. The USA is a 31%. And South Carolina is at 19.8%. The UK is at 38%.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Nope --- 19.98 per cent of South Carolina has had one dose. It is now at 11 per cent for fully vaccinated.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ine-doses.html

Old 03-15-2021, 04:36 PM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What does?
No idea where that came from. Just divide the total us population by the total us deaths.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
U.K is in sharp decline of cases. U.S. was also in a sharp decline of cases for the past several weeks but now it's beginning to flatten out but it's still a decline. A few Midwestern states have began an slight uptick over the past 10 days. Too early to say if it's a trend and if it will spread over the rest of the U.S. Since a lot of the senior citizens have been vaccinated, I'm assuming that the hospitalization and death rates will be lower than they were over the winter if there is another surge here.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
New covid cases in Europe are on the increase again. Its easy to see why. The EU was extremely slow at approving vaccines and getting them distributed. The authorities seemed content in dotting all the I's and crossing the T's which is now coming back to bite them. Less than 10% of EU residents have been vaccinated compared to over 21% in the USA. So what happened to Europe with its big government and socialized medicine? Why has it failed them so badly?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...w-restrictions

A third wave of the Covid pandemic is now advancing swiftly across much of Europe. As a result, many nations – bogged down by sluggish vaccination campaigns – are witnessing sharp rises in infection rates and numbers of cases.

The infection rate in the EU is now at its highest level since the beginning of February, with the spread of new variants of the Covid-19 virus being blamed for much of the recent increase.
I was wondering the effect of vaccinations in light of certain states opening. Arizona is at 1.629m out of a 7.1m population. just under 25% of the population. And that is not including the thousands who recently had COVID but ineligible to be vaccinated until their 90-days have passed.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
New covid cases in Europe are on the increase again. Its easy to see why. The EU was extremely slow at approving vaccines and getting them distributed. The authorities seemed content in dotting all the I's and crossing the T's which is now coming back to bite them. Less than 10% of EU residents have been vaccinated compared to over 21% in the USA. So what happened to Europe with its big government and socialized medicine? Why has it failed them so badly?

A third wave of the Covid pandemic is now advancing swiftly across much of Europe. As a result, many nations – bogged down by sluggish vaccination campaigns – are witnessing sharp rises in infection rates and numbers of cases.

The infection rate in the EU is now at its highest level since the beginning of February, with the spread of new variants of the Covid-19 virus being blamed for much of the recent increase.
UK was the first country to approve a vaccine followed by Canada. Some might consider both countries to have socialized medicine.

The US. came in at third place.

The most recent surge is primarily impacting Eastern Europe. Most countries lifted restrictions in anticipation of the vaccination.

The AstraZeneca vaccine is the most common in Europe. 14 countries have temporarily suspended it due to reports ^ may increase risk for blood clots, in some people. Specifically, blood clots have been detected in 30 people which is no greater than the general population.

Parts of Europe are dealing with a combination of prematurely lifting restrictions, concern with the Astra- Zeneca vaccine, new variants and back orders of other vaccines.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:11 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, Italy (and most of the EU) is the canary in the coal mine

Old 03-15-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Hopefully not. The vaccine should help at least for now. My point was many on the left looked to Europe as the example of how to deal with a pandemic. Lock downs, massive contact tracing, very strict rules on life. Yet they can't get it under control. They are now doing much worse than the USA which is interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Europe is proving to be a leading indicator for what happens in the states. Given that southern states are "spiking the ball at the five yard line" and the more contagious strains have taken root, a new surge wouldn't surprise me.
Florida leads the country in terms of new variants.

Again, the Astra- Zeneca vaccine is the most common in the US. There was concern based on 30 instances out of 100 million+, it may cause blood clots in some people. 14 countries temporarily halted the vaccine and other vaccines are on back order. Current reports indicate there is no connection between Adtra- Zeneca and clotting.

Australia bet the farm on this vaccine and have enough to vaccinate the entire population and as of now have no reservations.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:14 PM

140 posts, read 234,737 times
Thumbs up  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91
I’m done with all this nonsense. It’s time to live normally and let God sort it all out.

It’s not my problem if you aren’t strong enough to fight the virus off, nor should it be your problem if I’m not strong enough.
The BEST reply on this thread!!!

Thank you

Old 03-15-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's a great attitude, if we can get 80% of our population vaccinated. If not, the virus won't be dying off, it will be lingering, and the longer it lingers, the more variants will arise, and the harder to treat it will become.

Herd immunity is what will ultimately make this virus go away.
As you said, the longer COVID runs the course, the more variants. The more variants, the more some will become aggressive.

Global herd immunity must be achieved.

Allowing it to run would destroy healthcare in the US because of hospitalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies