Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 05:40 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
OK, how do you fund government without taxes, even after cutting out the 2/3 you think are not worthwhile? I assume you want to terminate anything that looks like welfare, all social security, all Medicare, etc. And, you are OK with the elderly and children begging in the street, or are OK with gunning down the beggars. I am going to guess you've never been poor, and in a situation where there is no work at all, even if you want to work. If you ahd been in that situation, or something close, you would not be opposed to the government helping people.
You still have state and local income taxes, which make more sense than federal. SS should be optional.

You can also replace an income tax with a VAT on everything except food.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:02 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
You still have state and local income taxes, which make more sense than federal. SS should be optional.

You can also replace an income tax with a VAT on everything except food.
Do you understand why Social Security was implemented? Why it was made mandatory? Go read the history.

Using federal taxes allows for a more even allocation of resources, as opposed to state funds that can be much lower per capita in states that have economic issues. I don't think a Federal VAT would be legal without a Constitutional Amendment. I also don't see the US successfully implementing a VAT, since we would be too egotistical to look around the world for best practices.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:21 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Do you understand why Social Security was implemented? Why it was made mandatory? Go read the history.

Using federal taxes allows for a more even allocation of resources, as opposed to state funds that can be much lower per capita in states that have economic issues. I don't think a Federal VAT would be legal without a Constitutional Amendment. I also don't see the US successfully implementing a VAT, since we would be too egotistical to look around the world for best practices.
I disagree. Obamacare was approved by SCOTUS specifically because its individual mandate was classified as a tax.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:22 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What should the Alternate Minimum Tax be - for rich and poor?
Zero and zero.

Taxation is theft.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Zero and zero.

Taxation is theft.
How do you suggest we pay for even the minimal functions of government? Or, do you prefer anarchy?

Old 03-18-2021, 09:11 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
How do you suggest we pay for even the minimal functions of government? Or, do you prefer anarchy?
A VAT and a flat rate income tax would be great. Maybe people in poverty don't pay the same flat rate, but after that everyone pays equally. And cut federal spending.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
If the citizens aren’t willing to pay for the government functions VOLUNTARILY, what’s the moral justification to force some of them to pay while others pay nada?

Why do you love slavery? Either everybody pays or nobody pays.

So a VAT or sales tax would be the only moral way.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
A flat tax rate of 10% on the $19 trillion or so in gross income (adding a few % annually to last reported year) provides $1.9 trillion to run the government with. Add in 10% US corporate EBITDA.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rsonal-income/

Old 03-18-2021, 10:21 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

NO REPRESENTATION WITHOUT TAXATION!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If the citizens aren’t willing to pay for the government functions VOLUNTARILY, what’s the moral justification to force some of them to pay while others pay nada?

Why do you love slavery? Either everybody pays or nobody pays.

So a VAT or sales tax would be the only moral way.
What makes you think I live slavery? I don't, but I think it is morally reprehensible to make someone making $20k per year to pay $2k in income taxes, just so they pay the same percentage as some guy making $5 million per year. There's nothing wrong with progressive tax rates, and there's nothing wrong with excluding the first $X dollars from tax as we do now with the standard deduction, which is $24k or so this year.

Why do you hate the poor? Do you think the poor are going to think more highly of themselves because they pay a lot in taxes relative to their income? You are also forgetting that the poor pay a number of indirect taxes through their house rental, sales taxes, gas taxes, etc. They also pay 7.65% of their wages in FICA and Medicare, while the rich pay a far smaller percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A VAT and a flat rate income tax would be great. Maybe people in poverty don't pay the same flat rate, but after that everyone pays equally. And cut federal spending.
What Federal spending, specifically, would you cut? I am up for a $400 billion cut in defense spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies