Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:46 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Right now, we have a country of takers and makers, where half are paying federal income tax to support the ever-growing myriad of programs, and half pay nothing. Currently, the Dems are seeking to get even more money from the group who pay the very most, and continue to allow half of Americans pay nothing.

I propose that everyone with an income over $1 million pay 5% of their income - so a rich guy earning $5 million would have to pay at least $250,000.

But low-income, including those whose “income” is government assistance, should have some skin in the game as well. In order to keep it regressive, how about:

Income under $20,000: .5% so someone making $18,000 pays $90 for the year)
Income between $20000 - $30,000: 1%
Income between $30,000 - $40,000: 2%

These are minimums. So, for example, a family earning $40,000 with three children, would have to pay $800. This amount would be subtracted from the thousands of dollars of “refund” they get for the child tax credit, any credits for subsidized housing, the free lunches for the kids at school, etc. (IOW, they would still be net receivers.)

Old 03-16-2021, 06:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Someone makes 20K and you want to make their crappy life actually worse? yeah I know only 90 bucks but...

How about we stop allowing the true elite to reclassify income as gains?
How about we stop allowing the true elite buying congress?
How about we start enforcing antitrust again?
How about we shut the damn border down from floods of illegals coming across diluting the bargaining power of citizens? Get caught and from Mexico? We are not just sending you back to Tijuana. We are dropping you off at Tapachula so you wont be back next week.
The US is run by and for billionaires, not "the takers"

When we stop allowing the true elite to undermine the ability of the bottom "takers" from earning a living, the idea may have merit. 25% of the population has in IQ under 90. You are not going to make tech workers out of them, and automation is going to eliminate many of their jobs first. I see big problems in about 5 years when we start laying off millions of truck drivers in lieu of self driving rigs.

They do have skin in the game. State and local taxes tend to be regressive. Highly dependent upon the state. OK and MS food is fully sales taxed. NJ and NY tend to exempt necessities. Social security and Medicare are taxes and do not have deductibles.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:10 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Someone makes 20K and you want to make their crappy life actually worse? yeah I know only 90 bucks but...

How about we stop allowing the true elite to reclassify income as gains?
How about we stop allowing the true elite buying congress?
How about we start enforcing antitrust again?
How about we shut the damn border down from floods of illegals coming across diluting the bargaining power of citizens? Get caught and from Mexico? We are not just sending you back to Tijuana. We are dropping you off at Tapachula so you wont be back next week.
The US is run by and for billionaires, not "the takers"

When we stop allowing the true elite to undermine the ability of the bottom "takers" from earning a living, the idea may have merit. 25% of the population has in IQ under 90. You are not going to make tech workers out of them, and automation is going to eliminate many of their jobs first. I see big problems in about 5 years when we start laying off millions of truck drivers in lieu of self driving rigs.

They do have skin in the game. State and local taxes tend to be regressive. Highly dependent upon the state. OK and MS food is fully sales taxed. NJ and NY tend to exempt necessities. Social security and Medicare are taxes and do not have deductibles.
I’m not talking about other taxes. They pay no federal income tax.

Everyone should have skin in the game. And if people earning only $20,000 aren’t happy with that, they can take advantage of taxpayer funds to acquire a job skill. It’s not ME who’s making their lives crappy.

At the very least, let’s stop calling welfare “tax refunds.”

Old 03-16-2021, 06:26 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Right now, we have a country of takers and makers, where half are paying federal income tax to support the ever-growing myriad of programs, and half pay nothing. Currently, the Dems are seeking to get even more money from the group who pay the very most, and continue to allow half of Americans pay nothing.

I propose that everyone with an income over $1 million pay 5% of their income - so a rich guy earning $5 million would have to pay at least $250,000.

But low-income, including those whose “income” is government assistance, should have some skin in the game as well. In order to keep it regressive, how about:

Income under $20,000: .5% so someone making $18,000 pays $90 for the year)
Income between $20000 - $30,000: 1%
Income between $30,000 - $40,000: 2%

These are minimums. So, for example, a family earning $40,000 with three children, would have to pay $800. This amount would be subtracted from the thousands of dollars of “refund” they get for the child tax credit, any credits for subsidized housing, the free lunches for the kids at school, etc. (IOW, they would still be net receivers.)
Nothing like starting a thread that has been discussed with THOUSANDS of responses, AGAIN!

So, for the HUNDREDTH time a national sale tax ONLY!

Old 03-16-2021, 08:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
The vast majority of people who pay nothing in income taxes are retirees and disabled receiving social security. They are struggling to just stay alive on the meager monthly checks while right wingers (which many of they themselves are, sadly) advocate taking some of that away from them. My lord, we have become a calloused bunch of people who care about no one and nothing but ourselves.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The vast majority of people who pay nothing in income taxes are retirees and disabled receiving social security. They are struggling to just stay alive on the meager monthly checks while right wingers (which many of they themselves are, sadly) advocate taking some of that away from them. My lord, we have become a calloused bunch of people who care about no one and nothing but ourselves.
Um, it's the leftists that are envious, greed filled wanting my money for themselves.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’m not talking about other taxes. They pay no federal income tax.

Everyone should have skin in the game. And if people earning only $20,000 aren’t happy with that, they can take advantage of taxpayer funds to acquire a job skill. It’s not ME who’s making their lives crappy.

At the very least, let’s stop calling welfare “tax refunds.”

Maybe not NO federal income tax but I doubt I'll ever forget that sometime in the late '60s when I had some barely above minimum wage job, when it was announced what Nelson Rockefeller had paid in personal income tax, I'd paid more.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:55 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Um, it's the leftists that are envious, greed filled wanting my money for themselves.

Damn leftists, at least the rightists want your $$$ for good causes like supporting their benefactors in the MIC and paying for tax breaks for billionaires, eh?

Old 03-16-2021, 10:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Damn leftists, at least the rightists want your $$$ for good causes like supporting their benefactors in the MIC and paying for tax breaks for billionaires, eh?
Thanks for proving my point. You want other peoples money. You can't "pay" for a tax break. A tax break allows the income earner to keep her money.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:40 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are more than welcome to put your money where your mouth is.

Pay for their social security and disability with your own money.

Forcing other people to pay for your compassion is disgusting as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies