Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
A small box with a few condoms does not cost hundreds of dollars.
Again even having someone discuss birth control, use of condoms, personal responsibility, etc. This is something I did with my younger brother, my kids and my grands BEFORE they became sexually active and AGAIN when I suspected they were sexually active. Its very easy to get caught up in the moment especially when you are young and especially if booze is involved.
Its not about the money, its about giving a fig and thinking ahead, being responsible and sometimes self esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 01:10 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I'm a little slow on the uptake some days. Are you being serious or sarcastic? If you are serious then you aren't aware of the billions of dollars that have been thrown at American blacks in an attempt to get them "out of poverty". Read the history of LBJ's "Great Society". That was going to fix the problem.
Yes. Poverty leads to crime. Any race, ethnicity, society, country, culture, etc...poverty will lead to crime. This man was desperate for a few hundred dollars.

There has never been a single program EXCLUSIVELY FOR blacks who descended from slavery in the US to help get more of us out of poverty.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:13 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Yes. Poverty leads to crime. Any race, ethnicity, society, country, culture, etc...poverty will lead to crime. This man was desperate for a few hundred dollars.

There has never been a single program EXCLUSIVELY FOR blacks who descended from slavery in the US to help get more of us out of poverty.
Do you believe that at least some of the pathologies afflicting many black Americans today (7 out of 10 kids born out of wedlock, high black-on-black crime, gang crime, drugs, poverty, etc) constitute what many within the left label the "legacy of slavery?"

If your answer is yes, then do you believe that "a single program exclusively for blacks who descended from slavery in the" United States "to help get more" black Americans "out of poverty" is required or at least deserves consideration?

And if your answer is yes again, then do you believe the government should pay reparations to black Americans?

Old 03-17-2021, 01:15 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Trash fighting over crumbs....LMAO......this is Biden's America

Old 03-17-2021, 01:22 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
Quote:
Do you believe that at least some of the pathologies afflicting many black Americans today (7 out of 10 kids born out of wedlock, high black-on-black crime, gang crime, drugs, poverty, etc) constitute what many within the left label the "legacy of slavery?"

If your answer is yes, then do you believe that "a single program exclusively for blacks who descended from slavery in the" United States "to help get more" black Americans "out of poverty" is required or at least deserves consideration?

And if your answer is yes again, then do you believe the government should pay reparations to black Americans?
yes.
yes.
yes.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
yes.
yes.
yes.
Thank you for answering my questions, which were:

Given you say yes to all questions, I have more questions.

1) In the 1920s and 1930s, the black unemployment rate was roughly the same as the white unemployment rate - both very low. In some years blacks were unemployed less often than whites. As well, two-parent black households were common, with the out of wedlock problems we see today unheard of. Newly freedmen traveled from one state to another to look for family members they hadn't seen in a long time; this is very different from the irresponsibility shown by many "daddies" in today's black community. And furthermore, black wages rose steadily during the 20th Century up until the 1960s. Then came the 1960s, and black unemployment, black illegitimacy rates, and black single-parent homes became far more frequent.

If these problems as you say are the "legacy of slavery," why did the legacy of slavery lay dormant and inactive from 1865 to 1960? Why wasn't the legacy of slavery at play in the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, etc., when Jim Crow and segregation were the law of the land, when lynchings still occurred, and when the Civil Rights Movement was decades away?

2) Do all black Americans get reparations? What about black immigrants from the Caribbean or Africa who have not a single slave ancestor, who came here with college degrees, who came married with their spouses, and who have quietly worked their way up the socioeconomic and corporate ladder? Do they get reparations as well?

Pursuant to this question, the federal government paying out reparations would come in the form of taxes in one way or another. Just as this foolhardy $1.9 trillion package will only increase inflation and thereby make your dollar and my dollar buy less, so would a reparations program. Do you want your money to be able to buy less?

There were white immigrants who arrived here since 1865 as well as Asian immigrants. No Korean, no Vietnamese, and no Chinese sold Africans into slavery nor owned slaves in the antebellum south. Should their descendants be made to pay for reparations?

3) There have been billions poured into communities of people of color; there's been affirmative action; there have been other measures to help black Americans. How much more is necessary, and what evidence is there that the underachievement of black Americans if compared to Jews, East Asians, South Asians, and whites is due to structural racism or a legacy of slavery? White and Asian high school students must score hundreds of points more than a black high school student to get into the same college. Isn't this a measure to help blacks? Is it fair to penalize whites and Asians to help blacks?

Why do you personally believe the state owes modern-day black Americans, many of whom are under 30 years old, help to get them out of poverty, even though slavery ended more than 170 years ago, and even though it's impossible to know for sure that every poor black person in America is in that state strictly due to bigotry or racism?

And how much money would be enough?

Old 03-17-2021, 01:41 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A human being that kills his family for 700 dollars has an issue bigger than just money.

I bet he was a responsible gun owner -- until he wasn't.
I bet you his gun wasn’t registered and bought illegally.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thank you for answering my questions, which were:

Given you say yes to all questions, I have more questions.

1) In the 1920s and 1930s, the black unemployment rate was roughly the same as the white unemployment rate - both very low. In some years blacks were unemployed less often than whites. As well, two-parent black households were common, with the out of wedlock problems we see today unheard of. Newly freedmen traveled from one state to another to look for family members they hadn't seen in a long time; this is very different from the irresponsibility shown by many "daddies" in today's black community. And furthermore, black wages rose steadily during the 20th Century up until the 1960s. Then came the 1960s, and black unemployment, black illegitimacy rates, and black single-parent homes became far more frequent.

If these problems as you say are the "legacy of slavery," why did the legacy of slavery lay dormant and inactive from 1865 to 1960? Why wasn't the legacy of slavery at play in the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, etc., when Jim Crow and segregation were the law of the land, when lynchings still occurred, and when the Civil Rights Movement was decades away?

2) Do all black Americans get reparations? What about black immigrants from the Caribbean or Africa who have not a single slave ancestor, who came here with college degrees, who came married with their spouses, and who have quietly worked their way up the socioeconomic and corporate ladder? Do they get reparations as well?

Pursuant to this question, the federal government paying out reparations would come in the form of taxes in one way or another. Just as this foolhardy $1.9 trillion package will only increase inflation and thereby make your dollar and my dollar buy less, so would a reparations program. Do you want your money to be able to buy less?

There were white immigrants who arrived here since 1865 as well as Asian immigrants. No Korean, no Vietnamese, and no Chinese sold Africans into slavery nor owned slaves in the antebellum south. Should their descendants be made to pay for reparations?

3) There have been billions poured into communities of people of color; there's been affirmative action; there have been other measures to help black Americans. How much more is necessary, and what evidence is there that the underachievement of black Americans if compared to Jews, East Asians, South Asians, and whites is due to structural racism or a legacy of slavery? White and Asian high school students must score hundreds of points more than a black high school student to get into the same college. Isn't this a measure to help blacks? Is it fair to penalize whites and Asians to help blacks?

Why do you personally believe the state owes modern-day black Americans, many of whom are under 30 years old, help to get them out of poverty, even though slavery ended more than 170 years ago, and even though it's impossible to know for sure that every poor black person in America is in that state strictly due to bigotry or racism?

And how much money would be enough?
Eagerly awaiting the answers to these questions.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I bet you his gun wasn’t registered and bought illegally.
I think you would win that bet. What responsible gun owner would use his/her own registered gun to commit a crime.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Eagerly awaiting the answers to these questions.

You know, this wasn't asked in a confrontational manner. And on a bulletin board like this, there's always the possibility of misinterpreting what another person has written.

I know blacks have suffered in this country. I've made foreigners whom I am friends with to do image searches of lynchings. They were horrified and said "blacks have reasons to be angry!"

I'm not ignorant of the painful past many black Americans endured. It's just that resorting to the state to fix everything and to demand it via wholesale monetary compensation is fiscally dangerous and could set a likewise risky precedent: pay billions to every aggrieved group.

And as my questions showed, there is tons of diversity within black America. Herman Cain is now deceased but he was extremely rich; would he have been entitled to reparations? Oprah Winfrey? Michael Jordan? Denzel Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies