Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 06:40 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times

Advertisements

They send their kids up to the USA not because they want to eventually move there or love the USA. They want the kids to send money home. First the coyotes get paid and after that the money is Western Unioned back home. Pretty much all discretionary income is expected to be sent home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 10:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Downtown Guatemala City does not look like the surrounding slums. The whole thread is based on a lie.

Comparing a national crime rate to certain US inner cities.

Sigh.

It is very easy to come up with actual good reasons to be against illegal immigration. This thread aint one of them.
We have slums, and our own poor here. The fact Guatemala City has nice areas means, they surely can improve their own slums without our help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
They send their kids up to the USA not because they want to eventually move there or love the USA. They want the kids to send money home. First the coyotes get paid and after that the money is Western Unioned back home. Pretty much all discretionary income is expected to be sent home.
And it boosts the economy of that original country by a lot because our currency is more valuable on the global market.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:42 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You're off by a few hundred years...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
That is a poem, not a regulation, law, or policy.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:04 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Yeah. Of course there’s nice places there. Or, ones which look nice.

On the other hand, there’s a reason my Salvadoran in-laws are here en masse. I get a strong border policy, but denying that there are reasons people might want to be here instead of there doesn’t fly. At all.

I’m sad that I can’t visit El Salvador. Overrun by gangs and corruption, their institutions are weak and their official currency is the US Dollar. I frankly hold folks blameless for wanting to be here. My last cruise to Mexico had us take a bus through Progreso in the Yucatán. That’s not primo living, and THEY HAVE TOURIST MONEY!!!!

Flip side is, I also don’t want to let in actual criminals or disease carriers. I think the Right’s campaign regarding southern border immigrants is ignorant, casting them as criminals and drug dealers, child traffickers, and thieves.

The left seems to me to have better instincts here, but again my baseline is to make sure diseases and criminals are kept to a minimum.

There’s no clean solution, but it does seem to me that the right will lose this one. It’s pretty desperate in a lot of places down there, and folks will keep coming. You can push them out to deadly desert crossings, which raises some ethical flags for me, but folks will keep coming. In a sense, it’s a no-win situation. Doubly so because basically all of DC benefits from having an underground, cheap labor force here.

What to do? I don’t like foreign ventures that much. But foreign aid might be money well spent. Feds have a poor track record for spending money well, so that’s almost off the table. Another is to basically let anyone in who meets some basic requirements, effectively using supply/demand economics. But we’d have to be a stronger job creator than we are. Another approach which works well with the latter is to more severely restrict entitlements.

Yeah, there you are. It’s a depressing subject with no clean answers. But again, the right’s characterization of folks from down south doesn’t really help a damn thing.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:07 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It's been policy since before the country was founded. It only became a problem when too many of the poor coming here were non-European.

Old 03-19-2021, 12:47 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's been policy since before the country was founded. It only became a problem when too many of the poor coming here were non-European.

Please show me the policy that says this.

Only a problem when non-European? Did you forget history or something? Oh yes, US public education, lol. The Irish, Polish, etc, all went through BS due to anti-immigration people. I have been hassled pretty bad for being an immigrant.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:09 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You're off by a few hundred years...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
When this was written there were many jobs for the unskilled. Today not so much.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:14 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Its a problem today because of all the welfare schemes that exist that didn't exist previously.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:19 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
When this was written there were many jobs for the unskilled. Today not so much.
its harder than ever to create new jobs, but easier than ever to get on a welfare scheme, and all thanks to the criminally motivated politicians that inhabit every level of govt.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:26 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Yes, back then we were in need of nation builders, no so today. We are no longer a wide open frontier with a sparse population and with plenty of jobs and resources for everyone. I wonder why these fools can't seem to grasp that simple concept?

It was expected that one would come here through the front door (legally) not sneak in the back door (illegally) to. That rule still applies today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies