Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 11:27 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Liberals are getting their panties in a twist over this

Ron DeSantis — Critical Race Theory will not be taught in Florida schools!

“Let me be clear, there is no room in our classrooms for things like Critical Race Theory. Teaching kids to hate their country and to hate each other is not worth 1 red cent of taxpayer money.”

https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...orida-schools/
If he can enforce this in Florida’s colleges and universities, my daughter will be attending school in Florida in 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 11:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The real history of our country has never been taught. If you think everything is hunky dory now, read The Warmth of Other Suns and you'll understand exactly what went on especially after the Emancipation Proclamation and Jim Crow. Hint: things got a lot worse.
No one said everything was kosher. What we are saying is that hating white people and shaming them for things that happened in the past is total and utter BS. (That’s putting it nicely). While whites owned slaves and some supported a Jim Crow, it also has to be acknowledged that whites stopped slavery. In fact they shed blood to do so. During slavery, many whites helped blacks that they could. Also, it is just nonsense to think that all whites supported Jim Crow, of course they didn’t. Guess who did back then? The democrats!!! Something else that needs to be added is that blacks could have stopped slavery in one single second. All they had to do was quit rounding up other blacks and selling them! Boom!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Whew, way to go Ron! After all, we wouldn't want white kids to know why it is they can ride their bike around an upscale neighborhood and never be challenged but a black child cannot do the same. And of course we also wouldn't want a white teen to know why it is that their mother and father do not have to live in fear when their son goes out to sow some teenage oats, and the black teen's parents cannot say the same. But white privilege? Nah nothing to see here. Minds would be literally blown, thanks for sparing them that.
Right, because no young black man out to “sow some oats” was ever in a gang or anything like that.

“Privilege” seems to mean that someone can act like a criminal and then get to blame white people for it.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Whew, way to go Ron! After all, we wouldn't want white kids to know why it is they can ride their bike around an upscale neighborhood and never be challenged but a black child cannot do the same. And of course we also wouldn't want a white teen to know why it is that their mother and father do not have to live in fear when their son goes out to sow some teenage oats, and the black teen's parents cannot say the same. But white privilege? Nah nothing to see here. Minds would be literally blown, thanks for sparing them that.
If you think trying to force indoctrination onto little kids is going to lead to less racism, you are going to be proven wrong. The constant drumbeat of anti-racism that is way out of proportion to the true reality of racism in current day America is going to create more racists than would have existed previously.

My own son has questioned why he can't turn on the TV without hearing something about how racist the country is, when he was never brought up hearing a racist word spoken in my household and has always had friends from all persuasions. Again, if you were to go through a time machine from 100 years ago and just looked at the media today, you would have to assume that cops are just driving around shooting black people for fun with how hyperbolic the narrative is. I mean the grammy's alone the story being told is absurd.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:34 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
"Race hatred will not be taught in Florida schools."

Good for Florida. What's the downside?

Old 03-18-2021, 11:34 AM

628 posts, read 286,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Right, because no young black man out to some some oats was ever in a gang or anything like that.
Oh my mistake - I didn't realize that no young white men were ever in gangs. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:35 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
My two lily white sons were educated in how to not sow teenage wild oats.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Oh my mistake - I didn't realize that no young white men were ever in gangs. Thanks for setting me straight.
Hispanic youths participate in gangs at 4x the rate of whites, and blacks at 3x the rate of whites.

“Law enforcement agencies report a greater percentage of Hispanic/Latino and African-American/black gang members compared with other race/ethnicities.
The most recent figures provided by law enforcement are 46 percent Hispanic/Latino gang members, 35 percent African-American/black gang members, more than 11 percent white gang members, and 7 percent other race/ethnicity of gang members.”

https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/s...s/demographics

Old 03-18-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My two lily white sons were educated in how to not sow teenage wild oats.
How nice for you - not all 'lily white' teenagers are that 'educated' apparently, but they do not pay the price that a black teenager often will should they color outside the lines once or twice. I'm not talking about breaking and entering, armed robbery or felonies mind you, just regular old teenage stuff that many of my friends' children have been involved in from time to time that simply become funny family stories, not funerals. My grandchildren are far from being teens and we do live in Florida, but thankfully their parents do educate them as well - about how lucky they are and how not all people (black or white) enjoy the same advantages in life they do. They don't need any edicts from Ron DeSantis to tell them how their children should be educated.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Hispanic youths participate in gangs at 4x the rate of whites, and blacks at 3x the rate of whites.

“Law enforcement agencies report a greater percentage of Hispanic/Latino and African-American/black gang members compared with other race/ethnicities.
The most recent figures provided by law enforcement are 46 percent Hispanic/Latino gang members, 35 percent African-American/black gang members, more than 11 percent white gang members, and 7 percent other race/ethnicity of gang members.”

https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/s...s/demographics
Spare me your percentages. The point still remains that white youths also participate in gangs, at whatever rate. And that was my only point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies